? re: optical output from computer
Mar 16, 2009 at 8:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

terriblepaulz

1000+ Head-Fier
I know the TBAAM is a cheap way to get optical from my laptop (no digital audio out). Is there anything else cheap out there that could serve the same role?

Mar 17, 2009 at 6:15 AM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alpha 1 Omega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use turtle beach LINK

he asked for alternatives to that device
wink.gif

Mar 17, 2009 at 6:38 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by terriblepaulz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know the TBAAM is a cheap way to get optical from my laptop (no digital audio out). Is there anything else cheap out there that could serve the same role?

It blows my mind that no one makes an express card or card bus sound card for a laptop with spdif output. Is it me or are all the card makers smokin some real good stuff? Found some in USB form, some real nice too.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16829102020 I think I would go for the creative at 60 bucks. Looks like updated drivers have fixed any issues.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16829132003
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16829101151
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16829118005

Mar 17, 2009 at 7:27 AM Post #7 of 10
look for a 2nd-hand Creative PCMCIA Audigy 2 ZS Notebook.

Mar 18, 2009 at 5:42 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It blows my mind that no one makes an express card or card bus sound card for a laptop with spdif output. Is it me or are all the card makers smokin some real good stuff? Found some in USB form, some real nice too.

Newegg.com - Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 SB1090 5.1 Channels 24-bit 96KHz USB Interface Sound Card - Sound Cards I think I would go for the creative at 60 bucks. Looks like updated drivers have fixed any issues.
Newegg.com - ASUS Xonar U1 5.1 Channels 48KHz USB Interface White Audio Station - Sound Cards
Newegg.com - ZALMAN ZM-RSSC 5.1 Channels 24-bit 96KHz USB Interface External 5.1-Channel Stereo Sound Card - Sound Cards
Newegg.com - Turtle Beach TBS-1131-01 5.1 / 7.1 Channels USB Interface Audio Advantage SRM - Sound Cards

The Creative ExpressCard Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio Notebook would seem to fit that bill? Or used to, there is no direct link on Creative's website although google has it, noone seems to have it in stock. ExpressCard Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio Notebook SB0710EF - Sound Blaster - Your Music and Movies. Way Better. so i guess even they are now smokers of good stuff.

I would have grabbed one of those for now and then waited longer until grabbing a dac that i would have connected via optical cable.

The Creative PCMCIA Audigy 2 ZS Notebook is not an option due to being for another port.

Do you have an opinion on the sound quality of the x-fi in your first newegg link though?

Mar 18, 2009 at 5:57 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by morfic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Creative ExpressCard Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio Notebook would seem to fit that bill? Or used to, there is no direct link on Creative's website although google has it, noone seems to have it in stock. ExpressCard Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio Notebook SB0710EF - Sound Blaster - Your Music and Movies. Way Better. so i guess even they are now smokers of good stuff.

I would have grabbed one of those for now and then waited longer until grabbing a dac that i would have connected via optical cable.

The Creative PCMCIA Audigy 2 ZS Notebook is not an option due to being for another port.

Do you have an opinion on the sound quality of the x-fi in your first newegg link though?

That does look good as long as you have an Available ExpressCard/54 slot.

Mar 18, 2009 at 6:01 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That does look good as long as you have an Available ExpressCard/54 slot.

thats that Echo Indigo or Indigo Echo (w/e its called) thats an ExpressCard or PCMCIA audio device with S/PDIF out

and E-MU makes a PCMCIA solution as well, its quite nice (quite expensive too)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back