Re-cable RS2i or buy new RS1i
Jun 7, 2011 at 8:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

markkr

1000+ Head-Fier
I'm looking to get more (upgraditis) from my Grados, was looking at the apuresound v3 cable or just selling the RS2 (currently already for sale in FS forum) and picking up a new RS1. OR recabling them... Opinions???

Edit: looking for more clarity, better bass, less twisted cable would be nice.

Jun 7, 2011 at 8:47 PM Post #2 of 8
Recable them.

If there is no problem with the driver, shell, headband or anythign else, just recable them

You can use some silver cable, braid the cable, cover in clear, heat shrink the ends to gold coated plugs.

You can also make them a detachable cable version, but I wouldn't cut into the wooden shell. That's more for the plastic models

Silver braid usually runs about $40-50 a foot. It would be about $400 for silver for 7ft grado. A good copper cable would cost you under $20 a foot.

Silver cable will improve your sound, as long as you solder and joint right.

Jun 8, 2011 at 12:02 AM Post #4 of 8

Quote:
Don't recable.  Nobody has been able to distinguish between two cables in a blind test.  It's pure placebo & a complete waste of money.

Really? So why do people still perform the useless art?

Jun 8, 2011 at 1:41 AM Post #5 of 8
Some cables have more effect on the headphones than other cables in my experience.  But I would suggest selling off your RS2 for a pair of RS1.  I think you'll notice more of an improvement by upgrading headphones.

Jun 8, 2011 at 1:51 AM Post #6 of 8

Quote:
Recable them.

If there is no problem with the driver, shell, headband or anythign else, just recable them

You can use some silver cable, braid the cable, cover in clear, heat shrink the ends to gold coated plugs.

You can also make them a detachable cable version, but I wouldn't cut into the wooden shell. That's more for the plastic models

Silver braid usually runs about $40-50 a foot. It would be about $400 for silver for 7ft grado. A good copper cable would cost you under $20 a foot.

Silver cable will improve your sound, as long as you solder and joint right.

Where oh where do you buy silver braid for $40-50 a foot? I need to learn their marketing strategies. You can buy a used RS1 for $450 or so on a good day, so I believe you would prefer a recabled RS2 over the ability to decide between both? Also, I believe your terminology "useless art" pretty much sums up the reasons why they do it. Must art serve a purpose? :)

Jun 8, 2011 at 8:21 PM Post #7 of 8
Thanks for the replies everyone, I'm very capable of recabling myself, however Im not sure about opening up the rs2 wooden cups... Seems like something I should seek an experienced person for.

Any more opinions? Greater improvement through recable or new RS1?

Jun 9, 2011 at 2:02 AM Post #8 of 8
I would vote for the RS1.  From what I've read, Grado's stock cable is actually of very high quality. While there are headphones that do see a benefit to cable upgrades, most people seem to come out disappointed in the changes(if any) to "upgrading" grado cables.  I've even seen the odd comment claiming the cable upgrade has a negative effect on the sound sig. 

Also breaking into a woodie grado is very risky business. I'm pretty sure the folfs at APureSound are willing to do it but there's a hand-full of experienced recabling companies who simply won't do it.

I honestly believe that the couple hundred dollars will be better spent going to the RS1.  You'll definitely see a bigger difference in that transition. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back