Re-Appraisal of Senn HD-280's
Mar 31, 2009 at 7:11 PM Post #76 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by priest /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Still loving these headphones and choosing them on a nightly basis over my D2000 and SR 125. So, since you seem to really like them, and I checked out your gear and noticed that you have a very respectable collection, let me ask: what "higher end" (as opposed to "highest end") headphone do you think I might try? I am wanting to maybe get the K701 or the HD650/600 but am unsure which. Given my affinity for the 280s, I'm leaning toward the Senns, but I can't decide on trying the 650s or the 600s. And I don't have the ability to audition them (unless I get the chance at the upcoming DC meet). Your impressions would be appreciated. Plus, we can keep this 5 year old thread alive. ps, I listen mainly to rock, of all varieties, and plug my headphones into the headphone jack of my integrated amp. If you don't have the chance to answer such a detailed post, I understand. Thanks.

I have the time. Not to worry.

I have both the AKG K701 and the Sennheiser HD650 (with the Cardas Cable upgrade purchased from Katli Audio in California - KATLI AUDIO). Both of these reference headphones have their own distinct sonic characters. The Sennheiser leans more towards a full sound with a bit of veil (this is with the stock cable) and is a bit laid back as in maybe row eight or twelve center. That said, the overall character is many hours of enjoyment without any signs of fatigue. This was number one on the top of the list when purchasing this headphone.
beerchug.gif

After the burn-in period (HD650 with Cardas upgrade) of about 600-hours with the Little Dot MKI with the LT1364 op-amp upgrade, the sonic quality was pleasant with a slight semblance of certain tube amps that I have encountered. The Soundstage was more up front than when the headphone was new (sixth row center) while the originally recessed upper frequency range was brought out subtitle without being overly harsh. I can listen to music for hours on end with these headphones.

The AKG K701 is another reference headphone with a certain sonic quality that closely resembles the Sennheiser HD280 when new. The first few hours with this headphone I came to a realization that music piped through this phone is much more real than with the HD650, however that changed after I passed the 300-hour mark. Harsh overtones followed by a rather unsettling brittleness in the transition from upper-mid-range to high-frequencies. The Brightness in certain vocal arrangements were just unbearable. However I did not give up when it came to this headphone citing that if AKG believes that they have built a reference class headphone, then I should believe them. (Right
wink.gif
)

After about 1000-hours, the details in the music were much more natural however the harshness was still there especially when set at nearly the same volume level as the Sennheiser HD650. The Bass levels when new were rather low to the point of non-existence. After the long burn-in period, the level was still low, however there was certain level of tightness and control that I began to appreciate. Unfortunately not at the same level of comfort as that of the rather tight fitting Sennheiser HD650. The physical comfort level of the K701 is much better than the Sennheiser up until music begins to play into the K701.

Then after another 100-hours, I figured that the drivers had fully settled down and would not improve unless a significant modification was made to the headphone. I am to this day still using the stock cable because I may want to sell this headphone to someone who may want to have a reference can like this and want to have his or her own personally tweaked out settings. Anyway I decided to create a slight modification to the foam pieces that cover the driver (Search for a forum post http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/akg...others-411268/) and in this I changed nearly the entire sonic character of the K701 with this modification. The brittleness, brightness, and the harshness is virtually non-existent. The upper frequencies, mid-range, and bass have all been improved to a significant degree.

The non-existent bass now sounds and feels good to the point that it has the same weight as a fully settled Sennheiser HD280-professional (I know since I have the headphones for a full A/B comparison). The Treble response and roll-off resemble somewhat and not in full like both the HD280 and HD650. The Mid-range was the biggest improvement. The vocals of Jennifer Warnes, Linda Rhonstat, and Teresa Tsang are much fuller and with a great deal of warmth. A slight treble peak is there, however not really noticeable unless you crank up the volume to point where our ears bleed.
The soundstage of the K701 is further improved by basically pushing back from first row center to third or fourth row center. Not a whole lot back, however it makes for an interesting modification.
o2smile.gif

So answer your question, I have a very unbiased ear and I do not lean to any one headphone company. If I like the sound, then I purchase that brand and model. So before purchasing any of these models, if possible, try them out and see if they fit your preference. I love the physical comfort of both the HD650 and the K701, however both really deliver a great argument. The Sennheiser HD650 will benefit with a cable upgrade (considered a modification), and the AKG will improve to a more desirable listening experience with a modification to the foam ring pieces that cover their drivers.

Hope this helps. Until then, have a great week.

NOTE to IT people, be careful this coming April Fools, the WORM is coming and may need to be dealt with if possible. Take Care.
dt880smile.png
o2smile.gif

Mar 31, 2009 at 9:47 PM Post #77 of 82
All these people evaluating the hd280 at 1000 hours and saying it's pretty good had me wondering. Can you really judge a headphone with only 1000 burn-in? They're still in their infancy.

Well, I have in my hands a pair of hd280 that has gone through a lot--6,536 hours of burn-in. One word: AMAZING. Wow, just wow.

Mar 31, 2009 at 11:19 PM Post #78 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiComm4 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All these people evaluating the hd280 at 1000 hours and saying it's pretty good had me wondering. Can you really judge a headphone with only 1000 burn-in? They're still in their infancy.

Well, I have in my hands a pair of hd280 that has gone through a lot--6,536 hours of burn-in. One word: AMAZING. Wow, just wow.

I am all the way with you on this one.

10 years of HD 500 on my ears are the proof for this factual philosophy.

Now, they're waiting for a new set of ear cushions and I am waiting on a pair of HD 280's and HD 555's. On to new shores!

Apr 1, 2009 at 12:35 AM Post #79 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiComm4 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It's almost like watching them grow up.
popcorn.gif

Apr 1, 2009 at 3:20 AM Post #80 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by yklee118 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the time. Not to worry.

I have both the AKG K701 and the Sennheiser HD650 (with the Cardas Cable upgrade purchased from Katli Audio in California - KATLI AUDIO). Both of these reference headphones have their own distinct sonic characters. The Sennheiser leans more towards a full sound with a bit of veil (this is with the stock cable) and is a bit laid back as in maybe row eight or twelve center. That said, the overall character is many hours of enjoyment without any signs of fatigue. This was number one on the top of the list when purchasing this headphone.
beerchug.gif

yklee118, you have written a fantastic comparison of these two headphones. Thank you very much. Too bad I prompted it on a thread dedicated to the 280s.
bigsmile_face.gif
I think I will have to find a way to try them both.

On the 280s, I'm still picking them nightly over the AH-D2000 and SR 125. I love these headphones, and if that means I have a "bad ear" judging by some of these other posts, then so be it -- I have a bad ear. But I'm happy, and it didn't take 1000 hours either.

Thanks again!

Apr 1, 2009 at 11:12 PM Post #81 of 82
I can get a little long winded. I think I have clocked in more than 10,000-hours with the HD280 with the original cushions. I use a different type of preserver for the headband and ear cushions. I will look for the bottle and post it here for those who really appreciate the HD280. Until then everybody.

Have a great April Fool's Day. I know I have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back