RCA to XLR Converter
Mar 25, 2010 at 1:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

gbacic

500+ Head-Fier
I've heard of converters that can 'decipher' or convert an unbalanced signal from a DAC (or other output, for that matter) into a fully balanced signal on XLR cables.
Does anyone know if this thing works or if it is just an expensive adaptor.
Balanced / Unbalanced Line Level Converter | MCM Custom Audio | 555-8485 (5558485)

Jensen audio sells a converter that is about 300 USD but it goes in the opposite direction (XLR -> RCA).

The reason I am wondering is because I am thinking of getting an Audio-GD C-10 and running it in balanced (rather than just use an adaptor) with my Compass.

Also, has anyone heard the C-10? Is it worth the money?

Mar 25, 2010 at 2:05 AM Post #2 of 12
Many balanced amplifiers accept unbalanced inputs, since (IMHO) the greatest benefit to balanced headphones (and loudspeakers should operate by the same principles_ is in the amping. So yes, unbalanced signals can be amplified as "balanced." I do not, however, know if that device qualifies as making it balanced, and even if it did, I do not see the point.

Why does it matter? Get a balanced amplifier with unbalanced (RCA) inputs and you should be set.

Mar 25, 2010 at 2:16 AM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by revolink24 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why does it matter? Get a balanced amplifier with unbalanced (RCA) inputs and you should be set.

Problem is that the C10 is only balanced (and it's a speaker amp FYI).

Are the adaptors really balanced though? Wouldn't something have to discern what the different polarities are and then put them into XLR as balanced?

XLR-RCA2.gif

Like here, the negative is just put into the ground, so it isn't really balanced.

And:
My speakers have a 50 - 300 watt min/max amp power rating, they are 6 ohms and if I get an amp with 375 W at 6 ohms will I destroy them if I don't blast them?

Mar 25, 2010 at 2:50 AM Post #5 of 12
In broadcast TV studios we use these: Henry Engineering for $225

When going from a +4 balanced to -10 unbalanced signal, impedance and levels should be matched to avoid crappy sound.

Henry Engineering also make a balanced headphone amp for $115 and a balanced USB DAC for $550. Their stuff is made in USA and not overpriced like most of the so-called "audiophile" gear sold by shameless ripoff artists. Sorry about the rant but I'm hungry and dinner still is not ready.

Mar 25, 2010 at 5:29 AM Post #6 of 12
That unit is very cool indeed. I can't help but think that this device will in some shape or form "color" the sound in some way.

As long as it doesnt alter the sound much, it could be a viable solution to your issue.

Mar 25, 2010 at 6:20 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by gbacic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've heard of converters that can 'decipher' or convert an unbalanced signal from a DAC (or other output, for that matter) into a fully balanced signal on XLR cables.
Does anyone know if this thing works or if it is just an expensive adaptor.
Balanced / Unbalanced Line Level Converter | MCM Custom Audio | 555-8485 (5558485)

I can't speak to the functionality of the product linked, but unbalanced to balanced conversion is typically done via phase inversion, and there are a few products available out there that do phase inversion.

Quote:

Originally Posted by revolink24 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Many balanced amplifiers accept unbalanced inputs, since (IMHO) the greatest benefit to balanced headphones (and loudspeakers should operate by the same principles_ is in the amping. So yes, unbalanced signals can be amplified as "balanced." I do not, however, know if that device qualifies as making it balanced, and even if it did, I do not see the point.

A headphone amp that accepts unbalanced input and can output a balanced signal into headphones has a phase inverter, which is a less than ideal method to derive the balanced signal, and I personally would not recommend to anyone to get this type of headphone amp. The more optimal setup would be a source component that offers balanced output from a "dual-differential DAC" configuration, used with a headphone amp that accepts balanced input directly and drives it straight to the headphones. Deriving the balanced signal inside the source component this way allows for better sound quality than deriving it at the headphone amp stage - lower noise, better channel separation, etc. The benefit to balanced headphones is really from a source that's properly implemented, not the headphone amp.

Mar 25, 2010 at 1:57 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A headphone amp that accepts unbalanced input and can output a balanced signal into headphones has a phase inverter, which is a less than ideal method to derive the balanced signal, and I personally would not recommend to anyone to get this type of headphone amp. The more optimal setup would be a source component that offers balanced output from a "dual-differential DAC" configuration, used with a headphone amp that accepts balanced input directly and drives it straight to the headphones. Deriving the balanced signal inside the source component this way allows for better sound quality than deriving it at the headphone amp stage - lower noise, better channel separation, etc. The benefit to balanced headphones is really from a source that's properly implemented, not the headphone amp.

I disagree. A well designed SE dac can perform quite well in every respect. Considering the trend towards summing the balanced outputs of differential DAC chips to generate the SE signal its not surprising at all.

The problem is that with very few exceptions (electrostatic amps, a few DIY amps, and maybe 1 or 2 commercial amps) no balanced headphone amps take a SE signal and actually convert it to balanced. As far as people who cant design a phase splitter are concerned Ray probably does it the best by simply outputting a SE signal over XLR's when RCA inputs are used, mikhail does it the worst trying to get a tube output stage to act like an active ground. Building a nice phase splitter is easy work for anyone who is not dumb, if all you have is SE outputs I would not worry whats going on inside if your amp was designed by a competent individual.

Mar 25, 2010 at 9:26 PM Post #11 of 12
It is also very difficult to implement a dual-differential DAC in a turntable
wink.gif

Mar 25, 2010 at 9:38 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is also very difficult to implement a dual-differential DAC in a turntable
wink.gif

DAC, heh.
Its not hard to get a balanced signal out of a phono cartridge. When noise pickup in single ended lines is considered it may actually be easier. Its really just a mater of meeting a price point or profit margin that most phono stages are built single ended.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back