Rate the video games you're currently playing
Sep 14, 2012 at 3:35 PM Post #3,016 of 6,947
Quote:

Try a lower resolution? I do agree they do demand good vision at 1920x1200 on a 24" though I appreciate at least the encyklopedia is big size. Darth mod for Empire did have a bigger font size option I haven´t checked for that in Shogun 2.

I have now played the napoleon campaigns and then GB as coalition on NTW. It took a while to really appreciate it over ETW. I must admit I enjoy the less micro in ETW and even more in NTW over the old TW titles.  Diplomacy is improved a lot. GC still take over 100h if you want to fight most battles yourself which you do. As for the combat the insectoid speed is a bit silly but you get used to it

Started with Shogun 2 and boy this is a real challenge! Shimazu is supposed to be one of the easier factions but on hard some 6h in I haven´t really gotten anywhere and my faith is not really in my own hands. If some shogunate declare war on me I am pretty toast I believe. Thus I believe it will be more rewarding then ETW, NTW where you got an immortal powerhouse in no time and could start steamrolling pretty much from the start.

As for combat this melee type do favour the AI a bit more. From what I seen they behave much better. Maybe I will grow to like it but from the battles so far I miss the scale, scope and tactics of NTW/ETW. New setting and all the foul play of all these small shogunates seems promising.

im going from rome total war to shogun 2
im doing the tutorial but its not really that good so far
the horse units are sluggish, and it takes forever to accomplish things in battle (eg. capturing buildings)
i prefer the 20 unit berserker army and sitting back to watch them 
biggrin.gif

Sep 14, 2012 at 7:55 PM Post #3,017 of 6,947
I feel everythign goes faster here then in Rome. These fighting over buildings could take a while in ETW/NTW. I don´t even remember Rome had that? There is not much point for non range units to camp in buildings or do you mean castle walls? Sieges are a bit more stellar in the previous Total war titles. But maybe I will encounter some real fortresses further on in Shogun 2. The forts I encountered now is all wooden and is put on fire instantly like they use napalm or something.

I can have 100 guys left in a 160 guy unit and then the bastards route. Worse then militia more like armed citizenry without general aid. Gonna need to spend some time in the tech tree It goes both ways but everything seem to set up so the battles should go as quick as possible. I was storming a castle in a tough battle. When my general was killed all my unit´s pretty much instantly vanished lol and I had advantage in numbers.
When hunting down routed troops in the end I sometimes forget to put on fast forward because they move as such blistering pace anyway...

I hope it get better but now in the beginning there is just no unit variations. From what I read it´s supposed to be more challenging then the previous melee total war titles though. And I do feel it does behave a bit better then general. Though often it´s way to aggressive with it´s generals but other then that harder to exploit then usual.

Sep 19, 2012 at 2:19 PM Post #3,019 of 6,947
Borderlands 2:?/10 So far I'm digging it but I feel it's taking too much inspiration from this gen's shooters. It's super stylized but slightly more generic than BL1.

Sep 19, 2012 at 7:50 PM Post #3,020 of 6,947
Quote:
Borderlands 2:?/10 So far I'm digging it but I feel it's taking too much inspiration from this gen's shooters. It's super stylized but slightly more generic than BL1.

That' odd, I guess I'll see if I get it. Not sure if I will though, as I haven't played xbox in 6 months or so and I don't want to update my live card.

Sep 19, 2012 at 7:59 PM Post #3,021 of 6,947
Quote:

That' odd, I guess I'll see if I get it. Not sure if I will though, as I haven't played xbox in 6 months or so and I don't want to update my live card.

Borderlands 1 was like....road warrior meets a Western, BL2 so far is like road...kind of warrior meets....a shooter? It just feels like a different planet than Pandora and it's design is slightly more generic than BL1, that being said some of the guns look awesome!.

Sep 20, 2012 at 4:09 PM Post #3,023 of 6,947
Quote:
You guys are crazy. Borderlands 2 is flipping amazing and every bit improved over the first.

Okay, after burning through hours of it I really like it, but I still feel it's more of a generic tone than the first. Also the story in the second one while isn't bad by any means it just kind of cookie cutter in it's characters. The dialog is still hilarious.

Sep 20, 2012 at 8:48 PM Post #3,025 of 6,947
Quote:

In all fairness, Borderlands is supposed to be cheesy and over the top in every sense, so the characters are most definitely going to go all the way with this.

but that's what I'm saying, they aren't over the top and cheesy they are space Marines!!!! ClapTrap is funny and I think the just random people walking around in town have more personality than any of the quest NPC's. Though everytime I fight a midget I laugh.

Sep 20, 2012 at 8:54 PM Post #3,026 of 6,947
Quote:
but that's what I'm saying, they aren't over the top and cheesy they are space Marines!!!! ClapTrap is funny and I think the just random people walking around in town have more personality than any of the quest NPC's. Though everytime I fight a midget I laugh.

I disagree. The characters feel much more developed than the first. We didn't really know much about them the first time around, and this time their personalities, history, and relationships are actually explored.

Sep 21, 2012 at 2:33 AM Post #3,029 of 6,947
It would be a plus if it was actually possible to spoiler Borderlands 2. It was entirely possible in the original. Worst story ever. It managed to upset despite being in a fps :)

Borderlands was fun though despite lack of any depth whatsoever. Seems to be a problem with the genre though. Rage was almost as bad as Borderlands in that regard but at least it tried for a good while.

Sep 21, 2012 at 11:33 AM Post #3,030 of 6,947
Borderlands was more about the loot and gameplay.

Borderlands 2 is still borderlands, with a much better story and everything improved and refined. I'm still only about 2/3 through the campaign on my first playthrough though.

So while I still haven't completed Borderlands 2's main story... I'm just going to call it and rate it early because I already know how much I like it: 87 Bazillion/10

Anyway, I made a Borderlands 2 thread so we don't have to hijack the game ratings thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back