Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Apr 24, 2013 at 9:54 PM Post #13,111 of 24,685
Quote:

Isn't it too much of comics lately? I'm starting to appreciate such movies like the Oblivion and the upcoming Star-Trek because I'm getting tired of comics though I will still watch them.

What I will say is, unless you're really into that kinda stuff, it can get old really quick because all these flicks seem to have the same kind of depth and flavour. Not that I would stop watching them, but I'd take Inception over any comic-type movie anyday. In general, films that strive to achieve rigour and consistency are mostly always good watching for me.

Apr 24, 2013 at 9:58 PM Post #13,112 of 24,685
Quote:
Batman is more interesting because he is human, he is not immortal far from it without some ridiculous green stones as weakness. Superman is made of steel, have no flaws. Mister PC all over with absolutely no charisma. A lot more to build from regarding Batman then the Super man comics. 

I agree with the general thrust of this. The new Batman films were really good imo; and I'll never forget the cinema experience of the first film in the trilogy - absolutely gripping.

Apr 24, 2013 at 10:14 PM Post #13,113 of 24,685
Batman is more interesting because he is human, he is not immortal far from it without some ridiculous green stones as weakness. Superman is made of steel, have no flaws. Mister PC all over with absolutely no charisma. A lot more to build from regarding Batman then the Super man comics. 

I agree with the general thrust of this. The new Batman films were really good imo; and I'll never forget the cinema experience of the first film in the trilogy - absolutely gripping.

I always said Batman Begins was the best. Every said I was crazy and said that The Dark Knight is the best.

Apr 24, 2013 at 10:39 PM Post #13,114 of 24,685
Quote:
I always said Batman Begins was the best. Every said I was crazy and said that The Dark Knight is the best.

Hey JuanseAmador,

Yeah most - if not all - people I know like Dark Knight more than Begins. But then again, I think MANY of these people only started with the Dark Knight! i.e. they totally missed the cinema experience of Batman Begins; and so they either never watched Begins or watched it after Dark Knight. So there might be some cognitive bias in their preference (perhaps mine too but I do try to be really objective about this here).

I'll also just say this: while all 3 of the films were brilliant, Dark Knight wasn't as good as the other 2. 
tongue.gif

Apr 25, 2013 at 9:38 AM Post #13,115 of 24,685

Hey JuanseAmador,

Yeah most - if not all - people I know like Dark Knight more than Begins. But then again, I think MANY of these people only started with the Dark Knight! i.e. they totally missed the cinema experience of Batman Begins; and so they either never watched Begins or watched it after Dark Knight. So there might be some cognitive bias in their preference (perhaps mine too but I do try to be really objective about this here).

I'll also just say this: while all 3 of the films were brilliant, Dark Knight wasn't as good as the other 2. 
tongue.gif

One thing I didn't like about The Dark Knight was that Kristin David was not Rachel. And the ending wasn't as good as the one on Batman Begins. Just my 2 cents.

Apr 25, 2013 at 9:50 AM Post #13,116 of 24,685
Quote:
One thing I didn't like about The Dark Knight was that Kristin David Katie Holmes was not Rachel. And the ending wasn't as good as the one on Batman Begins. Just my 2 cents.

Fixed that for you. 
wink.gif

Apr 25, 2013 at 10:04 AM Post #13,117 of 24,685
One thing I didn't like about The Dark Knight was that Kristin David Katie Holmes was not Rachel. And the ending wasn't as good as the one on Batman Begins. Just my 2 cents.

Fixed that for you. 
wink.gif

Lol. I always confuse them. It was Davis though, I hate writing on touch devices. I miss my Blackberry.

Apr 25, 2013 at 11:33 AM Post #13,118 of 24,685
Just some of my thoughts regarding the last several posts:

I've got to agree that Batman is a far more interesting superhero than Superman. The problem I have with Superman largely has to do with his near invincibility--it makes everything he does less exciting than it would be otherwise, because you know that at least he'll come out of it just fine. Unless there's kryptonite around, which of course, there always is. And therein lies the other problem. Why give your hero only one weakness, then have him continually be dumb enough to get himself into situations where he's exposed to it? It makes for a dull cycle, in my opinion. For immortal superheros done right, I'd look to Dr. Manhattan from Watchmen.

With regards to the recent Batman trilogy--I'm going to have to put Dark Knight above the other two. Batman Begins was a nice shock to the system--it rebooted a classic superhero in a very modern way, and actually tried to build on Batman's beginning--not just relegate it to a flashback. There was nothing particularly realistic or psychologically gripping about it, but the film treated it all very seriously nonetheless, and if you were swept up in it (which I imagine most people who saw it on the big screen were), then it was all too easy to buy into the story it was selling.

I think The Dark Knight Rises is the weakest of the bunch. It was *too* serious, and what little humor there was pretty much all revolved around Catwoman's snark. Bane was also just not a compelling villain--he had practically no personality to speak of. He may have been capable of breaking Batman's body--but it was so much more satisfying (to me) to see the Joker toy with Batman's sense of morality in the previous film, and derive such obvious pleasure from doing so. Give me Bruce Wayne struggling with his sense of right and wrong over him climbing out of a gigantic well any day. Not only was watching him trying to get out of that well (or prison, *whatever*) a dull, repetitive exercise on top of being incredibly heavy-handed symbolism, but it also almost completely removed him from the story for a considerable period of time, and managed to even further throw off the pacing of the film, which was already sort of wonky in the first place. (A less sympathetic editor would have done wonders.)  Perhaps Bane was ultimately the 'better' villain, in that he accomplished more that he set out to do, but he was also an utter bore. And finally, what a disappointing climax. It all comes down to an extended bout of fisticuffs and a big gun fired at just the right time? Bleh. It was a fine movie for what it was, but I've seen it twice now and have no real desire to see it again. I own the first two films on DVD, but the third won't be joining my collection anytime soon. Sure, it brought the spectacle, but spectacle isn't enough. I was more attached to the plot and the characters in Avatar than I was The Dark Knight Rises, and that's saying something, I think.

Apr 25, 2013 at 3:34 PM Post #13,119 of 24,685
Dunno Avatar has some nice characters lol.

You should get them on bluray even though batman begins is pretty much my reference DVD it get even bettter :)

Apr 25, 2013 at 4:43 PM Post #13,120 of 24,685
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalsonata /img/forum/go_quote.gif

For immortal superheros done right, I'd look to Dr. Manhattan from Watchmen.

That part I would agree with, except of course one of his flaws was that he didn't care about the human race so much, and was indeed indifferent to the possibility of human extinction.

I do agree that Batman is better suited as a protector of a city like Gotham. But I would prefer to have Superman protecting life on Earth.

Apr 25, 2013 at 9:28 PM Post #13,121 of 24,685

This is the last movie I watched technically, although I remember seeing it as a kid in 1996 or 1997, soon after it had come out. I watched it on Netflix last weekend. An interesting film, what I was really surprised by was just how dated it had already become; Standing around looking at VHS's at the video rental store (like Blockbuster), the rarity of cell phones, the use of landlines, the computers in the film...overall, I would give it a 7 to 8 out of 10, I'm not sure yet which (I have a very high standard of films being 10).

Apr 25, 2013 at 11:31 PM Post #13,122 of 24,685
Quote:

I think The Dark Knight Rises is the weakest of the bunch. It was *too* serious, and what little humor there was pretty much all revolved around Catwoman's snark. Bane was also just not a compelling villain--he had practically no personality to speak of. He may have been capable of breaking Batman's body--but it was so much more satisfying (to me) to see the Joker toy with Batman's sense of morality in the previous film, and derive such obvious pleasure from doing so. Give me Bruce Wayne struggling with his sense of right and wrong over him climbing out of a gigantic well any day. Not only was watching him trying to get out of that well (or prison, *whatever*) a dull, repetitive exercise on top of being incredibly heavy-handed symbolism, but it also almost completely removed him from the story for a considerable period of time, and managed to even further throw off the pacing of the film, which was already sort of wonky in the first place. (A less sympathetic editor would have done wonders.)  Perhaps Bane was ultimately the 'better' villain, in that he accomplished more that he set out to do, but he was also an utter bore. And finally, what a disappointing climax. It all comes down to an extended bout of fisticuffs and a big gun fired at just the right time? Bleh. It was a fine movie for what it was, but I've seen it twice now and have no real desire to see it again. I own the first two films on DVD, but the third won't be joining my collection anytime soon. Sure, it brought the spectacle, but spectacle isn't enough. I was more attached to the plot and the characters in Avatar than I was The Dark Knight Rises, and that's saying something, I think.

The usual way of movies is to start on a light note, move on to a serious one as time progresses. The third movie started on a serious note, and continued into darkness.
Batman's morals were dealt with in the second film, and I don't see the reason to deal with those again. Same thing with the villains. Each of Batman's villains has a different set of ideals.

The Joker wanted to tease and play with Batman, taunting him at every step, making him question himself.
Bane just wanted to 'break' batman, both physically and mentally.

Ultimately, both movies succeed at what they set out to do, that is, explore Batman's psyche.  The Joker came in when Bruce was at his physical best but mentally weak. Bane comes in when Bruce is mentally capable, with a weakened body.
I don't find either of them boring, or enjoyable for that matter, because each of those villains are an amplification of Batman's own psychological problems.

Apr 26, 2013 at 9:59 AM Post #13,123 of 24,685
Batman : The Dark Knight Returns II

Probably the best Batman animated movie, and among the best Batman movies I've ever seen.

Apr 26, 2013 at 10:24 AM Post #13,124 of 24,685
Wonder if Anime will ever make it to the Cinemas... 

Apr 26, 2013 at 11:05 AM Post #13,125 of 24,685
?

Anime makes it to the cinemas quite frequently. I just saw From Up on Poppy Hill a few weeks ago on the big screen, for example.
Quote:
Wonder if Anime will ever make it to the Cinemas... 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back