.5 / 10

FAIL ALL THE WAY

The Brothers Bloom
9/10 - very funny and witty movie.

Kick-A$$
9/10 - very funny

Jun 5, 2010 at 12:11 PM Post #5,853 of 24,686
Splice - 3 out of 4
Good retelling of Frankenstein with Cronnenberg touches thrown in. Delphine Chanéac steals the movie as the genetic experiment with boobs named Dren, and Adrian Brody and Sarah Polly play horrible, horrible hipsters whom I could not wait to get killed ASAP (Brody's character drove and ironic car: an AMC Gremlin, and seems to have gotten his lab coat from Hot Topic, decorated his house with ironic anime art, etc etc.).

Jun 5, 2010 at 12:19 PM Post #5,854 of 24,686
Cheech and Chong's 'Up In Smoke'.  420/10! 
beerchug.gif

"You keep on knockin' but you can't come in!"
tongue_smile.gif
popcorn.gif

Jun 5, 2010 at 2:24 PM Post #5,855 of 24,686
Staten Island, 6.5/10

Offbeat and dark, a violent character study about a septic tank cleaner and mob boss trying to overreach, and a deaf butcher that has his priorities straight. Ethan Hawke and Vincent D'Onofrio as you've never seen them. The final scene was worth it for me.

Jun 5, 2010 at 4:17 PM Post #5,856 of 24,686
Once!  7/10 due to some great songs and a musical that feels natural.

I have a bit of problem with people talking and then starting singing but here it feels 100 % natural.
As for story telling there isn´t much though

Jun 9, 2010 at 10:18 AM Post #5,860 of 24,686
I just took in a Date Night too. My reaction was a bit opposite and was ready to fire off a snarky review. But I would feel bad, like the internet is in need of more smart butt comments anyway. It's the ultimate expression device for peanut galleries. Tina Fey just turned 40 and has really played up her sexuality lately. I only mention that since her work has always contained a bit of a self-depreciating feminist bent. So I was curious as to her thoughts, when she saw herself on screen, in a climatic scene, in a corset surround by full dressed men. There was something demeaning about that to me. I felt sorry for her. Of course, Wahlberg whored himself out too, but that's nothing new for him. 1/10

It was budget theater double feature for me with The Ghost Writer next on tap. Maybe, it was the movie I watched prior, but I savored it like fine whine. Polanski is a master of subtle uneasiness. For example, in once scene a character raised his hand to hail a cab. The camera moved with his motion; a nice off putting effect. There was also interesting inside/outside dynamic, that I would have to watch again to fully understand. Overall, the flim felt polished, professional, and Hitchcockian. I just adored it and was upset to see it end. 9/10

Jun 11, 2010 at 4:55 AM Post #5,861 of 24,686
The Escapist - 8/10, Very good i thought, Rupert Wyatt shows some promise as a director and it had a very good cast topped off by Brian Cox with a part written for him. I wanted to see this in the cinema when released but it took a back seat with everyone else to things like Iron Man, The Dark Knight and Sex and the City.....

Well worth a watch (the escapist not SatC)

Jun 11, 2010 at 5:12 AM Post #5,862 of 24,686

the girl with the dragon tattoo: 7.5/10 it's a tad brutal and graphic at times, but definitely a good watch for pure relaxation and a part thriller. But an enjoyable show nonetheless in its art form.

3 idiots: 8.5-9/10; it's probably the best film I've watched sometime. It's an Indian film which brought together a bag of laughs, fun; but more importantly it was a show with much heartfelt emotion and showed there was much more to life. I think if any of you were willing to give it a punt, you will not be disappointed for it's perspective on life and also it's take on friendship. It's a beautiful show.

Jun 12, 2010 at 12:24 AM Post #5,863 of 24,686
Edge of Darkness, 6.5/10; Mel Gibson ruins an otherwise decent story

From Paris with Love, 7/10; Travolta's gravitas makes an okay movie good

Shutter Island, 8/10; Now this was an entertaining mind bender

Jun 12, 2010 at 1:29 AM Post #5,865 of 24,686
Quote:

Shutter Island, 8/10; Now this was an entertaining mind bender

I agree, but don't watch it a second time. For me at least, the second time around I'd give it a 3/10. It's just how the movie was hinging on the whole fact of that revelation that broke it for me. Being able to notice the very spare details the second time around while having the knowledge of what happens in the movie already in my head just wasn't worth the repeat view.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back