Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Mar 13, 2010 at 4:20 AM Post #5,493 of 24,669
Ponyo 8.5/10

Not for everyone but I think it's one of the most adorable movies out there. Only reason it's not a perfect 10 is because some of the kids voices in the English dub annoy me.

Mar 13, 2010 at 4:33 AM Post #5,494 of 24,669
I saw some movie called lars and the real girl or something like that - 8/10

I had no idea what I was watching before meeting up with some friends and it's not bad for an independent film. Although there were some parts of the movie that was really awkward it was enjoyable.

Mar 13, 2010 at 4:46 AM Post #5,495 of 24,669
Quote:

Originally Posted by alysony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ponyo 8.5/10

Not for everyone but I think it's one of the most adorable movies out there. Only reason it's not a perfect 10 is because some of the kids voices in the English dub annoy me.

Ive been wanting to watch this for a while now, need to rent the blu ray from netflix.

But i have to ask, why didnt you jsut watch it subbed in japanese?

Mar 13, 2010 at 5:25 AM Post #5,497 of 24,669
"The Girl Next Door"

An "art" film star (Elisha Cuthbert) moves in next door to Speed Racer; chaos ensues in this romantic comedy about "moral fiber" with a great supporting performance from Timothy Olyphant, 7/10

Mar 13, 2010 at 3:18 PM Post #5,500 of 24,669
Gran Torino - 6.5/10

Got what Eastwood was going for—and yeah, he's great in it—but there's kind of an obviousness to a lot of what happens that was off-putting to me. The slice-of-life scenes and the encounters with the priest are really well-written, even if I don't quite believe a teenage South Asian girl would talk to an elderly white man like that.

Mar 13, 2010 at 3:46 PM Post #5,501 of 24,669
Precious - 7.5/10

Mo-Nique was amazing. Fully deserved oscar winner. And.. Mariah's voice is hot!
biggrin.gif

Mar 13, 2010 at 4:41 PM Post #5,502 of 24,669
Quote:

Originally Posted by SoupRKnowva /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ive been wanting to watch this for a while now, need to rent the blu ray from netflix.

But i have to ask, why didnt you jsut watch it subbed in japanese?

I know Japanese and I find the subs annoying, and my gf doesn't know japanese and hates reading subtitles, so we generally watch it in English.....that being said, she hates anime.

Mar 14, 2010 at 3:05 AM Post #5,503 of 24,669
Quote:

Originally Posted by userlander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I kind of liked the Informant. I'd give it strong 7/10, maybe 7.5 considering it's supposedly based on a true story. It's hard to go wrong with Steven Soderbergh.

I forgot what I rated it but would consider it worth it just to see how masterfully SS painted the 90's with the Red One. The Girlfriend Experience was one of my favorite movies of last year. That how much I enjoy and admire Soderbergh.

--

Shutter Island really worked for me most part. Some of the exposition was a little hammy, and yeah the first half of the second act dragged a little. On the positive, it was fun to watch the old school, referential staging and of course dig into the mystery. 7/10

Mar 14, 2010 at 9:09 AM Post #5,504 of 24,669
Science Fiction recommendations?

I debated whether I should start a new thread for this or not, but I thought i'd keep it in this thread for sake of order and forum cleanliness. Anyway, I recently saw the movie Moon. Terrific! Are there any others out there that are like it? 2001:A Space Odyssey and Solyaris are both great, but I've seen each countless times.

Mar 14, 2010 at 10:32 AM Post #5,505 of 24,669
Let The Right One In

-Swedish independent film offering a completely different take on vampires.
Overall Rating: 8/10
Genre Rating: 10/10
-Definitely one of the best vampire movies I have ever seen. Very character driven, and it does a great job of breaking away from the glamor that most other vampire movies show. A very interesting juxtaposition of tender and horrible. Great acting, especially by the two lead actors. I highly recommend this film.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back