Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Feb 26, 2017 at 4:40 PM Post #20,296 of 24,683
The Eyes of My Mother (2016)  6/10

Unique, I'll give it that but somewhat lacking in plausibility and pace. I am sure it will get rave reviews as some form of arthouse horror concoction but to me it was a little to deadpan and contrived. The audience is asked to take some pretty huge leaps of faith here and I just could not get there. Starts well but from the first "event" the filmaking unwinds slightly faster than the plot.

Feb 26, 2017 at 8:56 PM Post #20,297 of 24,683

"Bluejay"...This is my surprise of the past month or so. Sarah Paulson is so adorable. This is the type of indy relationship film I love. 9.3/10

Thanks for drawing my attention to this one. Really enjoyed it. Their chemistry is great, felt very natural. She is adorbs (yes, I just used that abbr.)

Feb 27, 2017 at 2:22 AM Post #20,298 of 24,683
  My bet on the Oscars winners

Best Picture - Moonlight

Actor in a Leading Role - Denzel Washington ( Supporting Role - Mahershala Ali)

Actress in a Leading Role - Emma Stone ( Supporting Role - Viola Davis)

Best Director - Damien Chazelle ( La La Land)

Best Foreign Film - The Salesman ( Asghar Farhadi)

Best Animation Film - Zootopia

Best Original Screenplay - Manchester by the Sea

My all bets turned out correct except "actor in the leading role". Instead of Denzel Washington it was Casey Affleck.

Feb 27, 2017 at 8:35 AM Post #20,300 of 24,683

Quote:

"Bluejay"...This is my surprise of the past month or so. Sarah Paulson is so adorable. This is the type of indy relationship film I love. 9.3/10

Thanks for drawing my attention to this one. Really enjoyed it. Their chemistry is great, felt very natural. She is adorbs (yes, I just used that abbr.)

I see it's written by and stars Mark Duplass. I loved another of his indie relationship films, Creep, so might have to give this a spin.

Feb 27, 2017 at 9:40 AM Post #20,301 of 24,683

My all bets turned out correct except "actor in the leading role". Instead of Denzel Washington it was Casey Affleck.

great I was wrong with La La Land , you're right

Feb 27, 2017 at 11:22 AM Post #20,302 of 24,683
La la land a La la movie with la la story and la la la. 1/5

Feb 27, 2017 at 6:32 PM Post #20,303 of 24,683

Glad you enjoyed it. I can always tell when I love a film, because I think about it quite often in the days following the viewing. I absolutely love simple films about life...no big explosions or manufactured drama...just a snapshot in the lives of two people. It had realism and depth, and I found myself sincerely caring about both leads. I could watch movies like that all day. 

Feb 27, 2017 at 8:54 PM Post #20,304 of 24,683
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade - 6.5/10

Felt like one of those super polished Disney movies with really cartoony and unrealistic characters.
The intro scenes of his past were awful.
As I was watching this it's pretty clear it must have given the makers of "Uncharted" (the video game series) some ideas.
I actually think playing through any of those games is more entertaining that watching this.

BTW I actually liked the Oscars last night. Jimmy Kimmel did a good job and i'm not a fan of his show.
Never liked his Mean Tweets thing though.

I actually shut off my TV immediately when La La Land had won best picture. Didn't see the rest until I saw it online.

I still think "Hacksaw Ridge" is the best movie since "Interstellar"
biggrin.gif

I saw Hacksaw Ridge 8 times in the theater and Interstellar about 13 times in Imax (!!!)
My previous record was seeing District 9 about 3 times.
Kind of nice living within walking distance of a theater.
I want to see Lion a second time if it's still playing.

Feb 27, 2017 at 9:25 PM Post #20,305 of 24,683
9 April (2015)  6.5/10

A film about the German invasion of Denmark on the eponymous date in 1940. So so effort focusing on a bicycle platoons efforts against the advancing German army. Hard pressed to really make an interesting go of this as the Danes were sinfully underequipped in every conceivable way and the government capitulated mere hours after the Germans crossed the border. No idea why this film was actually made unless it was to dispel the image of Danish collaboration that has haunted the country since the war. The film is actually one third the length that the actual campaign took so that really tells how much subject there was to cover.

A better watch is the Norwegian invasion treatment The Kings Choice which at least explores the political and military consequences of a country invaded by an overwhelmingly superior force. Both invasions happened on the same day.

Mar 1, 2017 at 9:08 AM Post #20,307 of 24,683
Two biggest snubs at the Oscars 2017: Martin Scorsese's Silence and Refn's The Neon Demon

The consensus about The Neon Demon was that it was a failure ( in fact quite opposite - it was the best or one of the best Refn's movie) and that Refn's career goes down ( falls out from spotlight towards marginalization).

Martin Scorsese's Silence was the best American movie of 2016 ( without even a competition)  in my opinion. And it is the only American movie in the last year which feels like a classic.

There is a serious problem about both movies which made them fall out from spotlight. They don't contain political activism and don't reflect social modern problems. La La Land was also non-political but it was a nod to Hollywood's glory and past and these themes are considered Oscar bait in some sense. Mel Gibson's pacifist war movie suits popular agenda.

Silence
No big deal, nothing to see here, just arguably the greatest living American filmmaker completing a decades-long passion project that could very well be his magnum opus. It's not hard to see why Martin Scorsese's religious epic about Jesuit missionaries suffering in Japan went almost entirely ignored by the Academy – it's a punishing, draining three-hour experience that had minimal publicity and a quiet late-year release. That doesn't make its exclusion any easier to take, though.

Mar 1, 2017 at 11:07 AM Post #20,308 of 24,683
Why is this so important to you? Frankly, who cares what the incestuous academy thinks are the best films for a given year? IMO the best thing you can do is take it for the circus it is and pay it no heed. The consensus (if there is one) on The Neon Demon being a failure is clearly wrong - I think we all agreed on that here - and one of the best foreign films I saw last year was The Wailing. I doubt it even got a sniff of a nomination, but I don't really give two hoots.

Mar 1, 2017 at 2:55 PM Post #20,309 of 24,683
Why is this so important to you? Frankly, who cares what the incestuous academy thinks are the best films for a given year? IMO the best thing you can do is take it for the circus it is and pay it no heed. The consensus (if there is one) on The Neon Demon being a failure is clearly wrong - I think we all agreed on that here - and one of the best foreign films I saw last year was The Wailing. I doubt it even got a sniff of a nomination, but I don't really give two hoots.

They were cool years ago. Nice dressed folk now though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back