Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Jan 10, 2014 at 9:49 PM Post #14,746 of 24,669
I stand by my earlier statement - substitute all the F* You! in that clip with "Forget You!" - but keep the same intensity in the delivery - and my bet is that the same thing happens.

Disregard the clip and exchange for real life, swearing at the wrong person will escalate a situation.
Personally, if a stranger starts to cussing me out for no good reason, the gloves are off.

Jan 10, 2014 at 9:54 PM Post #14,747 of 24,669
So, you let specific words, regardless of tone and intent, drive your emotions? Have you ever heard two people arguing intensely in another language? It's not hard to tell when it is getting serious - even though not one word is recognizable.

Jan 10, 2014 at 10:13 PM Post #14,748 of 24,669
So, you let specific words, regardless of tone and intent, drive your emotions?

Billy, I speak only English.
If you use abusive English language towards myself as a complete stranger in front of me, such as calling me a F..k or C..t, I have patience but if the impertinence continues at length, I will not tolerate the speech.
Words are powerful and I recognize when the intent is to create an explosion, knowing when to walk away but there are times when I will lock it down.
In real life, certain words have consequences that one may not like.

Jan 10, 2014 at 10:18 PM Post #14,749 of 24,669
Prisoners 6/10

Wonder why they waste characters like that. At least make it original and have the guy sobbing in bed and not helping...

Decently fun whodunnit though I guessed right quite early for once.

Jan 10, 2014 at 11:57 PM Post #14,750 of 24,669
Billy, I speak only English.
If you use abusive English language towards myself as a complete stranger in front of me, such as calling me a F..k or C..t, I have patience but if the impertinence continues at length, I will not tolerate the speech.
Words are powerful and I recognize when the intent is to create an explosion, knowing when to walk away but there are times when I will lock it down.
In real life, certain words have consequences that one may not like.

I get you - I'm just attempting to make a point that without the intent, without the "towards myself", without the part about "calling me" - these are just a specific string of letters. It is *exactly* the intent and the *meaning* of the insult that really matters - not the specific string of letters involved. You have attached a specific meaning to these words - and it appears that it is very difficult for you to separate the word from the context. I'm suggesting that the context is actually the important aspect, not the word being used.

I know people who use "Freakin'" as the direct substitute for F*. We all know EXACTLY what they mean when they say Freakin'. In many cases, anyone that would be willing to go to blows over the use of F* should also be willing to go there when these people say Freakin'. I believe the word doesn;t matter. The intent, tone and context are what matter.

:beerchug:

Jan 11, 2014 at 12:17 AM Post #14,751 of 24,669
lol - my favorite line on the poster is: "Filmed on actual locations where it COULD have happened!"

My favoritte part is "In the dark corridors of every woman's soul there lurks a......................"

I went through a huge phase seeking out weird mid century American drive in stuff. One of the intrensic qualities, if there are any, is the movies color?

Jan 11, 2014 at 1:38 AM Post #14,752 of 24,669
My wife thinks I'm crazy because I watch a lot of really, really bad movies - especially anything before ~1975 - often the older the better. Monster movies (Lugosi, Karloff, Chaney, etc), Japanese Godzilla & all his friends, Hong Kong Kung Fu, Roger Corman's hillbilly race cars, 50s & 60s Sci-Fi, Spaghetti Westerns, etc, etc, etc. I love 'em all! :D

Jan 11, 2014 at 5:16 AM Post #14,753 of 24,669
  Best HT experience I've ever had

Is HT, Home Theater?

I have never liked any of the camcorder movies. Not the first one Blair Witch Project nor Paranormal, not this one. I understand that it makes it seem real or something. To me though I always feel like it's folks making a movie with a comcorder.

Yeppers...home theater. Cloverfield on a 133" screen, Magnepans all around, and an SVS PB-Ultra was a very memorable xperience....good times. 

As for tonight's entertainment, yet ANOTHER really entertaining French flick...these guys do cinema really well as of late. 

"Sleepless Night" - 8.5/10

Jan 11, 2014 at 8:04 AM Post #14,754 of 24,669
The former USSR was heavily censored in more ways than linguistics, if i understand correctly.
Not sure if this has carried over to current times in Russia?

The thing is that all foreign films in Russia are dubbed. They NEVER interpret f..k word and other rude words with Russian equivalents in official releases ( there are alternative interpretations which are spread only on internet). Instead of f..k they interpret with such words like "damn" etc.

The official Russian dub of foreign films is commonly stripped of all profanities by the studios, a practice which not only waters down the director's vision but also confuses the audience, as colorful colloquial expressions are lost in the word-for-word translation, bearing little similarity with the original. Dmitry Puchkov's use of semantic translation prevents important plot points from becoming distorted, as villains unintentionally are transformed into comical characters when the official profanity free Russian dub fails to convey the original meaning.

There are several widely known funny examples of this softened translations, like this dialogue in Commando:
— F..k you! As*hole! — Прощайся с жизнью! (Say "good bye" to your life!)
— F..k YOU! As*hole! — Это ты прощайся с жизнью! (Say "good bye" to your life yourself!)

There is one guy who got famous in the former USSR just because he interpreted American movies without softening of expletives.

But the problem is that Russian slang sounds really offensive and rude in public media. And it seems to me that f..k word in English media doesn't sound really rude because it is so common.

Read this extract from the article:

The usage of obscene words did lead to controversy amongst Russian viewers. Some viewers particularly reject the usage of obscene slang in the translations. Russian mat is a patois language, based on the use of specific generally unprintable obscene words. It is not just slang, as thought of in the common sense. It is as an entire "slang" language, composed only of obscene words. Because of this, some Russian-speakers believe that obscenities in the Russian language are much stronger, and more vulgar in comparison to individual obscene words used in other languages.

Puchkov's contention is that people who think that the usage of mat ( Russian slang) is inappropriate don't understand the differences between the development of Western and Soviet/Post-soviet cinema industries. During the Soviet Union period, the usage of obscene words was strictly banned, while in the Western World, the appearance of vulgar and coarse speech in books and movies gradually became more accepted by the society as freedom of expression. For this reason, Puchkov has called himself a pioneer in his FAQ.

Jan 11, 2014 at 10:39 AM Post #14,755 of 24,669
But the problem is that Russian slang sounds really offensive and rude in public media. And it seems to me that f..k word in English media doesn't sound really rude because it is so common.

All of that is most interesting, thanks for the post.
Of course, it is unlikely I will ever get to understand the nuances of foreign language profanity.

During the course of my working career in trucking, I have met with all varieties of foul English language.
Swearing like a sailor, cussing like a trucker, these are the standard bearers for profanity.

Due to my daily and regular exposure to this form of communication, I am very tolerant of cuss words in entertainment and real life.
This type of chatter has become tiresome over the years and when used in a personal attack on myself, I will admit it pulls a pin and out comes General Hand Grenade from way back in the recesses of my mind.

Keep poking the bear with a stick and he will eventually wake up and swat you away.
I have no problem with the profane words attachment to anything else.

Jan 11, 2014 at 1:02 PM Post #14,756 of 24,669
Lone Survivor - ??/10

Very hard to sit through. Felt like torture. Not fun/entertaining. However it is a very good movie. Found it very intense past the first 20 minutes or so.
If I was in the military this might be my worst nightmare. Maybe that or being left at sea and getting eaten by sharks (which actually happened).

I do have to question if they just tacked on extra bloody violence. They did all seem like Rambo and kept getting shot over and over. Mostly arm/leg wounds which you can live though (possibly).
The movie is very graphic and bloody. It's a bit wrong to complain about accuracy since most of them died sadly. Spoiler alert was in the bold part.

Apparently it's based on a book and I'll want to check up on it's accuracy.

Basically the experience felt like I was watching a lot of people go through a long and painful death. The feeling is sort of like sitting through "127 Hours".
More like a real life horror movie.

I swear i've seen more war movies like this but can't remember the names of them!

OK, maybe i'd give this an 8.

BTW Mark Wahlberg was actually convincing in his role.

The BLOB - 5/10

Watched this because it's a Criterion movie and starring Steven McQueen in an earlier role. TERRIBLE!! Bad acting, zero suspense and bad everything. They even managed to make police officers look stupid. Try "Them!" instead. Loved that one about the giant ants.

I watched this with my new Hulu Plus account. That thing has TONS of Criterion movies!

Jan 11, 2014 at 4:43 PM Post #14,757 of 24,669
Lone Survivor 5/10.

It´s kind of a mix of Condemned and Saw. Well executed gore movie not much more to it.

Story is all about what do bullets and shrapnel and blunt force do to a human body. There is a glimt of humor in it also I don´t know it´s intentional but that slomo scene when a soldier die and when they come in the chino and is boosting about saving the day and I won´t spoil it.

I don´t know I probably got into this the entire wrong way but the buildup and schematics of the movie is really the same as in the wrong turn and condemned type mixed with Rambo. 
Did I really read something about a comparison to Saving Private Ryan???

As for Mark I think he is generally solid. He knows his limitations and work by them :)

Jan 11, 2014 at 5:01 PM Post #14,758 of 24,669
Her (2013): 9/10

It (more than) occasionally delves into territories that I wish it had explored more fully--this has the unfortunate side effect of making some sequences in the film come across as pretty preposterous. Nonetheless, this is a thought-provoking and generous film, graced with some great performances (ScarJo's breathy vocal-only performance is very effective, as is Amy Adams playing a sweet geek--a far cry from her performance in American Hustle); that it's also (occasionally very) funny and beautifully shot helps, though some audience members may find it a bit too twee for their liking. Oh well. I loved it. 

Jan 11, 2014 at 5:19 PM Post #14,759 of 24,669
Last Vegas (2013) 6.4/10

Some laughs in here, although not uproariously funny.
Quote from Peter Howell of The Toronto Star paper:
"De Niro and Douglas weirdly play versions of their real selves, while Freeman and Kline ham it up as if they're auditioning for a reality show called Gramps Gone Wild."

Actors gotta keep the cash flow happening like the rest of us at times.

Jan 11, 2014 at 10:30 PM Post #14,760 of 24,669

Yeppers...home theater. Cloverfield on a 133" screen, Magnepans all around, and an SVS PB-Ultra was a very memorable xperience....good times. 

Well, that was the thing, it did not have camcorder sound. Didn't like it glad you did. I tried to like it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back