Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Jan 10, 2014 at 5:15 AM Post #14,731 of 24,669

Best HT experience I've ever had

Best HT experience I've ever had

Is HT, Home Theater?

I have never liked any of the camcorder movies. Not the first one Blair Witch Project nor Paranormal, not this one. I understand that it makes it seem real or something. To me though I always feel like it's folks making a movie with a comcorder.

Jan 10, 2014 at 5:31 AM Post #14,732 of 24,669
  1977 Star Wars A New Hope Blu ray

10/10

I don't care what all the upgraded graphics and explosions in the movie are anymore. At times the CGI does not blend with the style of the movie, though generations from now no one will notice.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Disappointing are, your reviews!
Better than Episode IV-VI, Episode I-III cannot!

No, Actually  IV gets a 10 out of 10.

I'm still on quest watching these for the first time on Bluray
  1. V: The Empire Strikes Back  7 out of 10
  2. VI: Return of the Jedi    7 out of 10
  3. I: The Phantom Menace  10 out of 10
  4. II: Attack of the Clones  10 out of 10
  5. III: Revenge of the Sith   9 out of 10

Riddick 2004

5 out of 10

Riddick 2004 didn't age well as compared to Star Wars. The effects were good for 10 years ago but Vin was cheesy.Amazingly though it started a franchise and created fame for the movie in the series before it.

Jan 10, 2014 at 9:37 AM Post #14,733 of 24,669
  You are right I named it wrong.

1. The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay
  2. The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena
  3. Pitch Black
  4. The Chronicles of Riddick: Dark Fury
  5. The Chronicles of Riddick
  6. Riddick (film)
"Amazingly though it started a franchise and created fame for the movie in the series before it."

I say the 2004 movie started the franchise only as I felt the first movie was not that famous. Just my opinion. I'm sure that many think the franchise started way more early. I just didn't think Riddick became famous before the 2004 film.

But ya, if you played the video games, and saw Pitch Black and saw the animated movie, than ....lol... Riddick was famous. I just don't think mainstream famous.

Pitch Black was not famous no but it started the franchise. Chronicles of Riddick was well known prior to release thanks to Pitch black. It was not as well received though. Different genre hard to compare I think Chronicles of Riddick was better then most would give it credit for expecting Pitch Black 2 :) Pitch Black was just like Alien the perfectly executed B-movie.

EFBB is or at least was an absolutely superb game. One of the very few movie tie ins that work out.

Jan 10, 2014 at 10:46 AM Post #14,734 of 24,669
Pitch Black was not famous no but it started the franchise. Chronicles of Riddick was well known prior to release thanks to Pitch black. It was not as well received though. Different genre hard to compare I think Chronicles of Riddick was better then most would give it credit for expecting Pitch Black 2 :) Pitch Black was just like Alien the perfectly executed B-movie.

EFBB is or at least was an absolutely superb game. One of the very few movie tie ins that work out.

Pitch black was awesome, I think the latest riddick film was okay but nothing special.
Alien is on another level though. Cult classic.

Jan 10, 2014 at 11:22 AM Post #14,735 of 24,669
Eyes Without a Face - 7

A mask wearing young woman, brutally disfigured in a car accident.
The father, a surgeon who attempts to give new beauty to his beloved daughter by kidnapping and cirurgically stealing the faces of other beautiful young women.
An horror movie from 1960, exploring the fine layer between beauty and grotesque.
I found very interesting the way how this movie manages to turn beautiful into horrendous and vice-versa.
Pleasently surprised by it's apparent seriousness, it didn't fall for the mistake of comical skittishness as I'd expect for such a movie, pretty sober stuff.
It never really spooked the hell out of my and it was somewhat predictable, but I really apprecciated how it handled the goriest and spookier moments, nothing to obvious, the director was smart enough to play with subtlety, suggestion and expectation.
And yet, some viewers might be surprised with the level of gore detail present in this 1960 movie.
An horror movie it might be, but odd as it may sound, the greatest impression I came out of it was of it's aesthetical appeal and beauty... there's a certain enchantment here mostly thanks to the great sensibility of the director, camera and photography work.
This made the movie worth to me, despite the mindless script.
I say mindless script because I never felt there was a true purpose or intent behind the majority of the happenings in the movie, a simple succession of events determined by basic and cliché writing, but beautifully carved to enhance the visual appeal of it.
This movie is an interesting stylistic exercise in the horror genre.
I liked it and highly recommend it to lovers of classic black and white cinema.
I may watch it again and revise my rating.

Jan 10, 2014 at 6:48 PM Post #14,736 of 24,669
Is f..k word offensive on big screen and in general ( I do hear it very often in American movies)? Because Russian equivalent and rude swearing in general does sound really offensive and insulting in public media ( in movies, on TV, on big screen etc.). I don't remember even a single Soviet film which has a f..k word in it. 

Profanity is the result of a feeble mind trying to express itself, this is what I was taught.
Swearing has become common place in entertainment, perhaps to the extent that vulgar language is mostly viewed as "shop talk" in North America these days.

The former USSR was heavily censored in more ways than linguistics, if i understand correctly.
Not sure if this has carried over to current times in Russia?

Jan 10, 2014 at 7:01 PM Post #14,737 of 24,669
Words are words. Nothing is sillier than someone substituting words just because one word is considered profane and the other word isn't. If the intent is there, the word being used is irrelevant.

Jan 10, 2014 at 7:18 PM Post #14,738 of 24,669
So, if someone said to you, "screw off!" versus "leave me alone!", don't you think someone's response will be expressed rather differently even if the implied intent is the same? Perhaps I didn't correctly interpret your post.

The level of tolerance with profanity has gone down hill.  What is classified as G was classified as PG 15-20 years ago.

Jan 10, 2014 at 7:47 PM Post #14,739 of 24,669
If it is said with the same intensity - there is no difference. I will turn it around on you - picture this: You are laughing with your buddies and one of them makes a crack about your ratty jeans. You respond with a good-natured "F* off". You buddy sticks his tongue out at you and you all start talking about the Seahawks.

Jan 10, 2014 at 7:53 PM Post #14,740 of 24,669
Ok.  So, is the relevance in the context AND relationships between friends and more importantly with strangers?  I have friends that'll punch me with intent to hurt and friends that'll say the same thing back without any intent to harm.

I do agree in movies, all profanity can be censored and substituted with words of the same intent, but will lose the impact that profanity has on people's emotions in general.

Jan 10, 2014 at 8:23 PM Post #14,741 of 24,669
Ok.  So, is the relevance in the context AND relationships between friends and more importantly with strangers?  I have friends that'll punch me with intent to hurt and friends that'll say the same thing back without any intent to harm.

I do agree in movies, all profanity can be censored and substituted with words of the same intent, but will lose the impact that profanity has on people's emotions in general.

I'll add another point. Acting out expletives is easier than acting out a well reasoned response.
Can you imagine how silly some characters would sound if they started using profanities?
Its similar to using the most useless objectives like "good, bad, not bad, nice" to describe everything. Once or twice in the appropriate place it sounds nice.

Jan 10, 2014 at 8:24 PM Post #14,742 of 24,669

Always fun to pull this little David Friedman movie out every couple of years. Shot for less than a carton of cigs in 1967 it gets an 8 out of 10.

Jan 10, 2014 at 8:59 PM Post #14,744 of 24,669
Them's fightin' words...
Doesn't even have to be in a bar, if you are a stranger and you start cussing directly, off goes the trigger and it's goodbye to years of perfect dentistry, complete with a broken jaw.
Just sayin'...

Out for Justice (1991)

[VIDEO]http://youtu.be/4Zu1YIukylw[/VIDEO]

Jan 10, 2014 at 9:16 PM Post #14,745 of 24,669
I stand by my earlier statement - substitute all the F* You! in that clip with "Forget You!" - but keep the same intensity in the delivery - and my bet is that the same thing happens.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back