Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Nov 27, 2013 at 4:23 AM Post #14,431 of 24,669

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire 5/10 

cliffhanger...
normal_smile .gif

Good thing I am still yet to watch it I guess... I HATE cliffhangers

Nov 27, 2013 at 5:29 AM Post #14,432 of 24,669
Bad Grandpa: 6/10
It gave me a few good laughs, but overall, just not enough comedy like the other Jackass movies. Was rather let down by this one..

Hunger Games: Catching Fire: 8/10
Much better than the first, and stuck to the books. 

Thor: The Dark World: 8/10
Typical Marvel movie. Packed with quality superhero action, and had the usual "after-the-credits" scenes.

Nov 27, 2013 at 8:32 AM Post #14,433 of 24,669
Hunger Games 8/10

Its carrying the story forward but still a well made movie nonetheless.

Looking forward to seeing the next movie, hopefully it won't fall prey to the two part finale syndrome.

Nov 27, 2013 at 3:22 PM Post #14,435 of 24,669
Cap. Philips - 6.5/10

Not a bad movie. Slightly boring yes. I was still sucked in but meh, just not that good. I'm curious about one thing and that's the sniper shots being fired killing all three. How does that exactly work with the green/red thing?

Nov 27, 2013 at 8:06 PM Post #14,436 of 24,669
  Cap. Philips - 6.5/10

Not a bad movie. Slightly boring yes. I was still sucked in but meh, just not that good. I'm curious about one thing and that's the sniper shots being fired killing all three. How does that exactly work with the green/red thing?

Please explain the plot.

Nov 27, 2013 at 10:18 PM Post #14,437 of 24,669
  Cap. Philips - 6.5/10

Since all three kill shots made by the SEAL snipers needed to happen simultaneously, a green signal is given by the team commander only when all three targets have been sighted in and that the projected exit path of the bullets poses no harm to the hostage.

Nov 27, 2013 at 11:17 PM Post #14,438 of 24,669
Lion King. 10/10.

Nov 28, 2013 at 2:40 AM Post #14,439 of 24,669

Cap. Philips - 6.5/10

Since all three kill shots made by the SEAL snipers needed to happen simultaneously, a green signal is given by the team commander only when all three targets have been sighted in and that the projected exit path of the bullets poses no harm to the hostage.

It's the (bold) technical part that interests me. Do they use thermal (?) scopes to know where the bad guys are and is that what you mean with sighted in? If it really happened like that it was hella gutsy with the vessel moving up and down in the water.

Nov 28, 2013 at 11:51 PM Post #14,441 of 24,669

In 3D, was well worth the ride.  The graphics were very good as was the 3D transfer. The 3D was not at the same level as "Jurassic Park" but the action was as crisp and clean and 10x's better than any "Transformers" movie. The story was implausible but so what.  Monsters and Robots, Godzilla vs. Power Rangers on steroids.  

I felt Del Toro was trying to gear the film for a wider audience with the PG-13 rating.  However, the film feels closer to the seriousness of "Starship Troopers"  than I would have expected.  Ron Perlman's finely crafted guest appearance was a nice reminder of his previous "Hell Boy" efforts also with Del Toro.  The rest of the acting was some what forgettable.  

8/10 rating

Nov 29, 2013 at 12:47 AM Post #14,442 of 24,669
  In 3D, was well worth the ride.  The graphics were very good as was the 3D transfer. The 3D was not at the same level as "Jurassic Park" but the action was as crisp and clean and 10x's better than any "Transformers" movie. The story was implausible but so what.  Monsters and Robots, Godzilla vs. Power Rangers on steroids.  

I felt Del Toro was trying to gear the film for a wider audience with the PG-13 rating.  However, the film feels closer to the seriousness of "Starship Troopers"  than I would have expected.  Ron Perlman's finely crafted guest appearance was a nice reminder of his previous "Hell Boy" efforts also with Del Toro.  The rest of the acting was some what forgettable.  

8/10 rating

I think that was precisely what Del Toro wanted. Exaggeration and action.

Nov 29, 2013 at 2:27 AM Post #14,443 of 24,669

It's the (bold) technical part that interests me. Do they use thermal (?) scopes to know where the bad guys are and is that what you mean with sighted in? If it really happened like that it was hella gutsy with the vessel moving up and down in the water.

In the real life hostage situation of capt Philips, the multiple simultaneous kill shots made by the snipers of SEAL Team 6 did indeed happen. It stands as a remarkable accomplishment for SOCOM and the SEALS as it's the first time where it was required that multiple kill shots were needed to be made simultaneously and were successfully accomplished. The multiple kill shots were needed to be made simultaneously because if one of the pirates had survived it would have been certain he would have killed the hostage. The snipers had infrared night scopes, the team commander was also following the situation via live video feed and they had intel of where the pirates and the hostage were located within the life boat via thermal imaging. The snipers needed to make sure that they had clear and visible shots of the pirates and that capt Philips wouldn't be harmed before making the kill.

The snipers and their spotters were set up and had the targets sighted in for more than 12 hours aboard the USS Bainbridge waiting for the opportune moment for the go ahead to take their shot. Initially they had hoped to resolve the situation without the loss of life, but was also given the authority to use deadly force if necessary by the president. On that morning the situation had deteriorated, they had noticed that the pirates were acting erratically. Pointing their AK-47 at capt Philips head and making threatening gestures towards him. It was then decided that at the next opportune moment the snipers will take their shot to neutralize the situation. In the real life situation it was reported that two of the pirates had stuck their heads out of the life boat to asses the situation. At that moment two snipers and their spotters confirmed with the team commander they have a kill shot for the two pirates. The third sniper and his spotter at that same moment also confirmed with the team commander that they have a kill shot for the third pirate through one of the port windows on the life boat. The snipers were then given the go ahead by the commander to make the kill. All three shots were made simultaneously and all three pirates were killed with head shots.

The three simultaneous shots made by the SEAL snipers were done on the USS Bainbridge with the life boat tethered about 100' behind. It was also done in the early morning before sunlight and in rough seas with waves between 8 to 10 feet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back