Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Mar 29, 2013 at 2:18 PM Post #12,931 of 24,678
Into The Wild (10/10)

Great narration, soundtrack (by Eddie Vedder), filming, acting.
The end made me cry, it's kinda sad when the father starts walking on the neighborhood and starts crying. Or when the old man asks Chris if he can adopt him. And when he realizes he ate a poisonous berry.

Great movie. Definitely one of my favourites.

^^^ THIS is very very nice. Good taste, hehe

Thanks, sorry for late reply. I got banned.

Mar 29, 2013 at 2:20 PM Post #12,932 of 24,678
It was a good movie, but the main character was quite annoying.

He has to play annoying because maybe the actual person also annoying that's why he end up alone like that :p

The end was epic!

It held for a second viewing some month ago though I kind of remembered every single scene like I watched it yesterday lol.

Exactly, plain movie but not boring at all. Avatar is more boring than this, hahaha, I almost fell a sleep watching Avatar.

Agreed, Avatar is boring as f.

Mar 29, 2013 at 2:22 PM Post #12,933 of 24,678
2001 : A space odyssey

For someone born in the 80s, I was amazed by the foresight of this film. The future imagined then, is pretty close to how we have it today.
We've gotten used to things as they are now, but coming up with something like this 45 years ago is nothing short of astonishing.

Most Sci Fi movies try to imagine the future using current design themes and technology, but this one is iconic because of the fact that it doesn't. Stuff like Star Wars is easy because its set in another galaxy, you can think 'exotic', but not here.
Its like Kubrick made a trip to the future. I've never seen a movie this old, yet this current.

Mar 29, 2013 at 4:16 PM Post #12,936 of 24,678
I watched Deadgirl last night. I'd say it's certainly one of the most unconventional zombie movies out there... it didn't really dawn on me until after I watched the movie that it could be classified as a zombie movie.

Mar 29, 2013 at 5:02 PM Post #12,938 of 24,678
Quote:
I watched Deadgirl last night. I'd say it's certainly one of the most unconventional zombie movies out there... it didn't really dawn on me until after I watched the movie that it could be classified as a zombie movie.

Why anyone would actually WANT to see this after reading about it i'll never know....
I clicked a link about it once and wish I did not do that.
Seriously I don't even want to know what they'll come up with next. Reading about "A Serbian Film" was bad enough.
I think the last horror movie I liked was the remake of "Dawn of the Dead".
I'll never understand the thrill people get from disturbing horror movies.

Mar 29, 2013 at 5:08 PM Post #12,939 of 24,678
Quote:
Why anyone would actually WANT to see this after reading about it i'll never know....

Lol don't read the description! Just watch!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 29, 2013 at 8:39 PM Post #12,940 of 24,678
Quote:
2001 : A space odyssey

For someone born in the 80s, I was amazed by the foresight of this film. The future imagined then, is pretty close to how we have it today.
We've gotten used to things as they are now, but coming up with something like this 45 years ago is nothing short of astonishing.

Most Sci Fi movies try to imagine the future using current design themes and technology, but this one is iconic because of the fact that it doesn't. Stuff like Star Wars is easy because its set in another galaxy, you can think 'exotic', but not here.
Its like Kubrick made a trip to the future. I've never seen a movie this old, yet this current.

Give Arthur C Clarke credit for that.
Another is Jules Verne. That is even more astonishing how right he was about a lot.

Mar 29, 2013 at 8:51 PM Post #12,941 of 24,678
Heh,speaking of movies that are launched to the dismay of movie goers criteria,we now have:

The Last Stand (2013) 6.4/10

Arnold Schwarzenegger in his latest starring screen return in 10 years,other than short bits in The Expendables(2).
This movie classically defines most of the previous thread discussion in so far as expectations from some movie genres.

Near the end,our scrawny villain quips to big Arnie before his major ass whupping: "Your time is done old man and mine is just beginning..."
Arnold still provides a measure of holding his own in a reasonably enjoyable performance.
Is this film unapologetically formulaic? check.
Straight line plot? check.
Underdeveloped twist? check.
Zero deep or insightful drama? check+check.
Arnold carries the entire film? check.

What's left but to wait until the third act for all the brawls,vehicular homicides,wild car chase and thousands of bullet holes.
Toss in a smattering of humorous one liners and there you have it.
I still get a kick out watching Arnie body slam a hapless tough guy right into the slick campy ending.

Mar 29, 2013 at 9:03 PM Post #12,942 of 24,678
Quote:
Another is Jules Verne. That is even more astonishing how right he was about a lot.

Don't forget H.G.Wells.

1. Nuclear weapons, World Set Free - Yep
  2. Moon landings, First men in the Moon -Yep
  3. Genetic engineering, Dr Moreau -Yep
  4. Heat Rays, War of the Worlds - Yep
  5. WW2, The shape of things to come - Yep
  6. Automatic doors, When the Sleeper Wakes - Yep
  7. Wireless communication(email, voicemail), Men Like Gods - Yep
  8. Invisibility, The Invisible Man - Not quite, but we have infra-red bending clocks already, no visible spectrum materials though.

Might be a few more I haven't got as well.

Mar 30, 2013 at 2:18 AM Post #12,943 of 24,678
Quote:
Butter - 8.5/10

Weird idea for a movie, excellent cast, hilarious movie all the way through. I'd call it a dark comedy.

Yes I really enjoyed that as well. I would echo unexpected, and great cast. I gave it 4/5 Netflix stars.

Quote:
Quote:

Don't forget H.G.Wells.

1. Nuclear weapons, World Set Free - Yep
  2. Moon landings, First men in the Moon -Yep
  3. Genetic engineering, Dr Moreau -Yep
  4. Heat Rays, War of the Worlds - Yep
  5. WW2, The shape of things to come - Yep
  6. Automatic doors, When the Sleeper Wakes - Yep
  7. Wireless communication(email, voicemail), Men Like Gods - Yep
  8. Invisibility, The Invisible Man - Not quite, but we have infra-red bending clocks already, no visible spectrum materials though.

Might be a few more I haven't got as well.

You beat me to it, well done!

He wrote about everything, from A Short History of the World to The Shape of Things to Come
blink.gif

He also prophesied about The Open Conspiracy and The New World Order, just sayin'...
wink_face.gif

Mar 30, 2013 at 6:37 AM Post #12,944 of 24,678
Philip K. Dick is another prominent sci-fi writer who has had many books and stories adapted into movies.

1. Paycheck
  2. Minority Report
  3. Total Recall
  4. A Scanner Darkly
  5. Bladerunner
  6. The Adjustment Bureau
  7. Next
  8. Imposter

There are others, but these are the ones most likely to be familiar to some folks. My fave is Bladerunner followed by A Scanner Darkly. Paycheck was better than I expected.

Mar 30, 2013 at 7:25 AM Post #12,945 of 24,678
Quote:
Philip K. Dick is another prominent sci-fi writer who has had many books and stories adapted into movies.

1. Paycheck
  2. Minority Report
  3. Total Recall
  4. A Scanner Darkly
  5. Bladerunner
  6. The Adjustment Bureau
  7. Next
  8. Imposter

There are others, but these are the ones most likely to be familiar to some folks. My fave is Bladerunner followed by A Scanner Darkly. Paycheck was better than I expected.

I haven't got enough of his material, especially the full novels, I like his short story collections. His short story "The Father Thing" gave me nightmares when I first read it as a 6 year old kid though.

While we're here I might as well mention Asimov. What a writer. I think I have most of his S-F books, might be missing some of the short stories, but I'm fairly sure I have all the novels. 

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back