Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Jan 5, 2013 at 4:12 PM Post #12,256 of 24,680
Quote:
I just saw all six episodes of Hit and Miss, a British (Sky Atlantic) series about a pre-op transsexual assassin played by Chloe Sevigny.

I'm a fan of Ms. Sevigny and while she's quite attractive otherwise, they showed her penis a bit too often for my taste.

It was highly entertaining (8.5/10), but sadly it will not be returning for a second season.

Just finished watching all 6 eps. This show had potential oozing out of it. But indeed, there was too much penis.

7/10

Jan 5, 2013 at 5:04 PM Post #12,257 of 24,680
That reminds me of my one real criticism of The Watchmen...having to deal with a huge blue schlong and sack staring back at me every time that guy was on screen. Not sure why that dude can't generate some frickin' blue underwear or something...but at least the rest of the movie made up for it.

Jan 6, 2013 at 12:54 AM Post #12,258 of 24,680
I've heard really good things about Holy Motors.

Holy Motors (2012) 6.2/10
French with English Subtitles.

I wouldn't listen or read too much info before seeing this film and just let it hit you.
One of those films akin to an Opera or Ballet,you may not find the event to your liking.

At it's core,it represents the denial of digital video technology,very similar to the Vinyl vs. Digital music debate.
Here,the film camera is analogous to the mechanism of the human body and the digital camera is alienated from this quality.

The director, Leos Carax,has finally succumbed to shooting a feature entirely in digital,clearly he is not happy about this.
What you are watching is a commentary on modern film,chances are 50/50 you will be able to hang in for its entirety.

Jan 6, 2013 at 1:05 AM Post #12,259 of 24,680
Silver Linings Playbook (2012) 8/10

What's this? A good romcom? Boy, am I glad that these things are still capable of existing in this day and age. Honestly, even without a date on your arm, you shouldn't feel too bad walking into this one. A very pleasant surprise.

The Craft (1996) 5/10

In a way, I'm glad that supernatural tween movies waited to get popular. If this had been as big of a deal in the 90s as Twilight is now, I'm not sure that I would have actually managed to have survived the 90s. I never thought I'd say this, but I think it's time for someone to do a new, serious adaptation of Carrie. Let's revive this genre, and give these pesky tweens some real bloody angst to get all hot and bothered about.

Jan 6, 2013 at 6:35 AM Post #12,260 of 24,680

Resident Evil 5 Retribution 2012                    9/10

Jan 6, 2013 at 1:22 PM Post #12,261 of 24,680
The movie or Milla :p.

Brokeback Mountain 10/10.
Ang Lee fanboy signing in.

Jan 6, 2013 at 1:34 PM Post #12,262 of 24,680
"Looper" [6.8/10]: An average Saturday night pay-per-view film. I'm glad that I didn't go to see this movie in the theater, but I wish that I had waited until it was on HBO. It didn't strike me as a particularly good "time travel/science fiction/semi-apocalyptic futuristic" movie. At one point, I think because of Bruce Willis' role, I started to think "Twelve Monkeys." However I thought that "Twelve Monkeys" was brilliant, and there was nothing nearly as memorable to me in this film in terms of acting or plot.

Jan 6, 2013 at 2:07 PM Post #12,263 of 24,680
Quote:
I never thought I'd say this, but I think it's time for someone to do a new, serious adaptation of Carrie. Let's revive this genre, and give these pesky tweens some real bloody angst to get all hot and bothered about.

March 2013 Carrie remake... prayers = answered. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1939659/

personally, I'm much MUCH more excited about the Evil Dead remake...

Jan 6, 2013 at 2:44 PM Post #12,264 of 24,680
Ooooo. Not really familiar with the director or the screenplay author, but I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Evil Dead remake? Does Evil Dead actually need a remake? I mean, it's been years since I've watched it (or Evil Dead II, or Army of Darkness), but it's going to be hard to replace Bruce Campbell, right?
Quote:
March 2013 Carrie remake... prayers = answered. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1939659/

Jan 6, 2013 at 2:49 PM Post #12,265 of 24,680
Quote:

Jan 6, 2013 at 3:57 PM Post #12,267 of 24,680
Thanks for posting the Evil Dead red band trailer, Archmedisdead. It speaks for itself ...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jan 6, 2013 at 4:35 PM Post #12,268 of 24,680
Jiro Dreams of Sushi - 10/10Can you imagine having the same job for 75 years..you really have to love what you're doing.

I enjoy biographies about real people that have such passion for their chosen field.
Waking up at night ecstatic from dreams about their work is natural for them.

I like his quote: " Parents today say to their children,well if it doesn't work out,you can always come back.What a stupid thing to say,that is why those children are failures"
Tuna dealer said it too: "young people are looking for a job that is easy,with plenty of time off and then expect lots of money"

I wouldn't say he is the hardest working octogenarian,there are those unsung hard working eighty year old people that will never be featured in a documentary.
My own Father is very much like this man,well over 80 and still works from 5:00am till dark and will do so until he breathes his last,because he loves what he is doing.
Very fortunate people,thanks for the recommend,dockweiler.

Jan 6, 2013 at 4:42 PM Post #12,269 of 24,680
His quotes at the beginning were the most moving for me. About dedicating your life to your craft. 

Either way, it was fantastic. My grandfather still goes to work as an architect every day and he's well into his 80s. It really is a different time than it was back then. The work ethic of now compared to then is just terrible. 

I'm young, but I pride myself on my work ethic and it's something that none of my coworkers do. 

Quote:
I enjoy biographies about real people that have such passion for their chosen field.
Waking up at night ecstatic from dreams about their work is natural for them.
I like his quote: " Parents today say to their children,well if it doesn't work out,you can always come back.What a stupid thing to say,that is why those children are failures"
Tuna dealer said it too: "young people are looking for a job that is easy,with plenty of time off and then expect lots of money"
I wouldn't say he is the hardest working octogenarian,there are those unsung hard working eighty year old people that will never be featured in a documentary.
My own Father is very much like this man,well over 80 and still works from 5:00am till dark and will do so until he breathes his last,because he loves what he is doing.
Very fortunate people,thanks for the recommend,dockweiler.

Jan 6, 2013 at 5:34 PM Post #12,270 of 24,680
Quote:
and no one has seen John Dies at the end but me....one is the loneliest number.

Near the top of my queue, looking forward to it!

Quote:
That reminds me of my one real criticism of The Watchmen...having to deal with a huge blue schlong and sack staring back at me every time that guy was on screen. Not sure why that dude can't generate some frickin' blue underwear or something...but at least the rest of the movie made up for it.

I agree that was unnecessary since he didn't appear to need it to satisfy his sexual partner or to excrete waste, so it was entirely an "ornamental" penis; kind of like the prosthetic job in Hit and Miss. But obviously very different in terms of character development
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back