Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Apr 29, 2012 at 4:25 PM Post #10,141 of 24,669
The Savages - 8.5/10

Really loved this movie.  It's rare to see a movie tackle a story like this (brother and sister dealing with their father dying and suffering from dementia) with such honesty, humor and just heart and soul.  The characters had great depth.  It never jumped into easy answers or plodded you over the head with black and white simplistic emotions.  The father was suffering from dementia, but he wasn't just an angry, confused old man like you've seen in countless movies.  He had moments like that, but was also gentle and kind.  The story was sad, but there was a lot of humor in the little moments, and a lot of humor conveyed visually and even through the cinematography which is very rare in the world of both film and photography.  The cinematography and shot design reminded me of Punch Drunk Love in that way (the organ or pudding scenes for example).  I loved this light visual humor over the sadness of the script.  They were really able to create a sense of place and feeling with many of the shots.  Driving through some suburbia golf town in Arizona with rows of strangely landscaped trees, rows of elderly arms arcing up and waving gently in a yoga class at a nursing home. 

Just a couple of qualms.  There was a shot where they were panning through a cloudy but sunny sky, and they for some reason digitally added in a sun to the shot, a sun beaming right into the camera.  It was a good idea for the shot, but they should have just filmed it like that, it couldn't be that hard to film a sunny sky.  The digital sun was distracting for me, I rewound like 4 times trying to figure out why it looked weird.  I also didn't like the ending, it changed the meaning of the movie for me in a rather unfortunate and sappy direction from the more profound meaning that had been established.  Which took the whole movie down from a 10/10 for me to an 8.5.  Still good though. 

Apr 29, 2012 at 11:44 PM Post #10,142 of 24,669
Atonement - 6/10. 

The first half is Friday the 13th set in 1930's england, except instead of jason there's a 13 year old girl, and instead of brutally murdering people, they just get framed for rape. The 2nd half is downton abbey. Meh. 

Apr 30, 2012 at 12:39 AM Post #10,143 of 24,669

Quote:
The Savages - 8.5/10

Really loved this movie.  It's rare to see a movie tackle a story like this (brother and sister dealing with their father dying and suffering from dementia) with such honesty, humor and just heart and soul.  The characters had great depth.  It never jumped into easy answers or plodded you over the head with black and white simplistic emotions.  The father was suffering from dementia, but he wasn't just an angry, confused old man like you've seen in countless movies.  He had moments like that, but was also gentle and kind.  The story was sad, but there was a lot of humor in the little moments, and a lot of humor conveyed visually and even through the cinematography which is very rare in the world of both film and photography.  The cinematography and shot design reminded me of Punch Drunk Love in that way (the organ or pudding scenes for example).  I loved this light visual humor over the sadness of the script.  They were really able to create a sense of place and feeling with many of the shots.  Driving through some suburbia golf town in Arizona with rows of strangely landscaped trees, rows of elderly arms arcing up and waving gently in a yoga class at a nursing home. 

Just a couple of qualms.  There was a shot where they were panning through a cloudy but sunny sky, and they for some reason digitally added in a sun to the shot, a sun beaming right into the camera.  It was a good idea for the shot, but they should have just filmed it like that, it couldn't be that hard to film a sunny sky.  The digital sun was distracting for me, I rewound like 4 times trying to figure out why it looked weird.  I also didn't like the ending, it changed the meaning of the movie for me in a rather unfortunate and sappy direction from the more profound meaning that had been established.  Which took the whole movie down from a 10/10 for me to an 8.5.  Still good though. 

I really loved the very last scene of that film - perfect.    Great film, I agree.  PSH is in my top 10 actors and I'll watch anything he's involved with.  Loved, Punch Drunk Love, too.  The confrontation between Adam Sandler's character and PSH's is priceless. Scenes between Sandler and his overbearing sisters renders palpable discomfort every time...hell, the entire film renders palpable discomfort throughout.  I think I've seen it three times. 

Apr 30, 2012 at 12:45 AM Post #10,144 of 24,669
Interesting, that's the scene I didn't like.  Hard to say why without a spoiler other than to say it changed the meaning for me with what I felt was a last minute attempt at some kind of story arc.  But maybe when I watch it again sometime I'll feel differently.  :) 

Apr 30, 2012 at 9:27 AM Post #10,145 of 24,669
The Avengers, in 3D: 9/10

Despite the movie lacking real credibility for its story line, the full-on action coupled with the brilliant yet subtle humour made this film an absolute pleasure to watch.
A film I wouldn't mind watching a second time, and paying again to watch it at the cinemas.
Great to see several heros united.

May 1, 2012 at 11:04 AM Post #10,146 of 24,669

Quote:
The Avengers, in 3D: 9/10

Despite the movie lacking real credibility for its story line, the full-on action coupled with the brilliant yet subtle humour made this film an absolute pleasure to watch.
A film I wouldn't mind watching a second time, and paying again to watch it at the cinemas.
Great to see several heros united.

Man, it seems this movie is coming out EVERY where but where I live. q.Q' it dones't come out here in Souther Eastern US till THIS Friday.

I saw 1000 Words when it was out, 7/10
not great but some funny moments, even a Furry Joke

May 3, 2012 at 3:59 AM Post #10,148 of 24,669
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy 2011. One of the most pseudointellectual and overhyped movies I ever witnessed. Seldom seen so many pretentious imdb reviews make so little sense.

Booring story, bad direction, bad lightning. Stupid DNR to suggest crappy camera from the 70s being used. I just can´t find anything that is well executed except for the audio score actually being decent. Nice actors like Gary Oldman and the likes get nothing done at all since they don´t seem to have much of a script to work with.
Do NOT get the bluray version of this if you just have to see it. Get VHS to go with the times. 1/5

May 5, 2012 at 3:11 AM Post #10,150 of 24,669
Quote:
Irreversible - not so sure how I'd rate it. But certainly one of the most memorable films I have seen, ever.

How'd you deal with the "gruesome" scenes?

May 5, 2012 at 5:09 PM Post #10,152 of 24,669
I'm more of a classic movie guy - always tuned to Turner Classic Movies, currently watching Bridge on The River Kwai. One of my top 5 films of all time. 9.8/10

Last movie I saw in a theater was Hurt Locker. Amazing. I now own it. One of my top 10. 9/10

Most current film I saw was Tree of Life. That one broke my brain. Gorgeous film, but I just didn't get it. Just about any screenshot of the movie could be printed and sold as artwork. 7/10 on artistic merit alone.

edited to add ratings

May 5, 2012 at 6:38 PM Post #10,153 of 24,669
Quote:
I'm more of a classic movie guy - always tuned to Turner Classic Movies, currently watching Bridge on The River Kwai. One of my top 5 films of all time. 9.8/10

Love that movie and it's one of my favorites. It's up there with Von Ryan's Express, Guns of Navarone and the Great Escape.

I saw "Tree of Life" twice in the theaters. I liked it, but when it came out on Blu-Ray I had no interest in watching it again. I prefer "The Thin Red Line" which is in my top 10.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back