Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Jan 19, 2011 at 5:48 PM Post #7,336 of 24,683
Requiem for a Dream is great, in my opinion better than black swan (which I think I gave over 9?). The Wrestler was also very good.
Quote:
Saw Black Swan at the cinema last night.

8/10

Really gripping and disturbing at points. Was right in the front row of the cinema though which detracted my enjoyment a little. Portman was top class. Definitely going to check out some more of Aronofsky's stuff, any recommendations?

Jan 19, 2011 at 5:54 PM Post #7,337 of 24,683
I liked Requiem more then The Wrestler and also then Black Swan.

At least with Requiem I didn't have to be so freaking afraid for those terrible visual horrors in Aranofsky's style. It ruins the experience of watching his interesting stories for me. There's something terrifying in his style I simply can't get comfortable with.

Jan 19, 2011 at 8:09 PM Post #7,339 of 24,683
If you're looking to kill some more time BobSaysHi (or anyone), Dustin Hoffman has some great old flicks worth checking out. Besides the well-known Midnight Cowboy (Schlesinger) and The Graduate, I liked a couple of his old action flicks, Marathon Man (Schlesinger again) with Laurence Olivier and Papillon with Steve McQueen. And a couple of powerful, well-regarded off-the-beaten-path types as well, Straw Dogs (Peckinpah) and Little Big Man. Extra personal props for Papillon and Little Big Man but they are all highly recommended, enjoy!

Jan 19, 2011 at 9:30 PM Post #7,340 of 24,683
I would recommend him something then I saw he had American Beauty rated higher than Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. To me, that is akin to rating a Big Mac higher than a well made filet mignon. 

ESotSM is one of the great works of nought cinema. It painted  one's memory of a relationship, as it is really were - the random firing of neurons, the piecemeal reconstruction of a time together; how one parcels the emotions and projects their own weaknesses upon the other.

American Beauty was an award pampering ode to mid-life crisis; a juicy subject to be sure. I enjoyed the movie, but it's no cinema verite. 

maximosa:
Saw Black Swan at the cinema last night.

8/10

Really gripping and disturbing at points. Was right in the front row of the cinema though which detracted my enjoyment a little. Portman was top class. Definitely going to check out some more of Aronofsky's stuff, any recommendations?

Definitely, definitely check out The Wrestler next. It is a companion piece to Black Swan. In fact, the two were originally conceptualized as two parts of the same film.

After that, I would hit Pi then head sequentially through his still smallish filmography. BTW, he will direct the next Wolverine movie, so we'll see how he handles a big budget tent pole. 

Jan 20, 2011 at 12:06 AM Post #7,341 of 24,683

Quote:
I would recommend him something then I saw he had American Beauty rated higher than Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. To me, that is akin to rating a Big Mac higher than a well made filet mignon. 

ESotSM is one of the great works of nought cinema. It painted  one's memory of a relationship, as it is really were - the random firing of neurons, the piecemeal reconstruction of a time together; how one parcels the emotions and projects their own weaknesses upon the other.

American Beauty was an award pampering ode to mid-life crisis; a juicy subject to be sure. I enjoyed the movie, but it's no cinema verite. 

Your points are valid, and I would agree with you, but I'd like to add that I am only 17 and have never really been in love. I can't really enjoy Sunshine as much as much as you because I can't relate.

Anyway, I'll get to watching that long list of titles you mentioned. It'll probably take a couple months.

Korean movie "Old School"

A Beautiful Mind

Clerks I and II

Memento (9/10) (I loved this movie, but it doesn't have any replay value IMO)

Das Leben der Anderen (9.5/10) (Made a real impression on me)

The Motorcycle Diaries

Festen

Hotel Rwanda

Into the Wild

Amelie

Man on the Moon (Carrey's best acting role on my opinion)

The Usual Suspects (Kevin Spacey!) (8/10) (acting was superb)

The Namesake

The Shipping News (Kevin Spacey)

Jan 20, 2011 at 4:25 AM Post #7,342 of 24,683
Thanks for the recommendations folks. Going to order The Wrestler and Requiem on blu-ray. 

The more I think about the more I realise I enjoyed Black Swan, but I have to agree with Proglover about horror aspects stopping me concentrating on what is happening - there is a ten minute section of the film that is like non-stop AAAAAAHHHHHHHH!

Jan 20, 2011 at 7:32 PM Post #7,343 of 24,683
In Good Company - 9/10
I was afraid my memories of this movie were better than the actual thing, so I was reluctant about revisiting it, but alas! it's just as great as I remember.  Funny and touching.
I completely forgot that Alex and Carter didn't get back together though!  What's up with that?  And still love the Iron & Wine at the end.  Trapeze Swinger is my favorite song by him and I first heard Iron & Wine in this movie.

Jan 20, 2011 at 7:49 PM Post #7,344 of 24,683
just got around to watching SOMEWHERE.

as a loving portrait of a black ferrari, I'd rate it 9/10
as a not so loving portrait of Nicholas Cage (the director's uncle), it's perhaps 7/10
but as a movie about Hollywood and LA, it sucks: 1/10.

Jan 22, 2011 at 12:42 AM Post #7,346 of 24,683
All Good Things - 7/10

Well acted, but not my kind of movie and kind of a downer. A bit slow, but well made.

The One that Got Away - 9/10

I really liked this one and I knew nothing about it when I saw it. It was in my Netflix Instant and since I love WW2 and POW escape movies, I had to watch this. It's about a german POW during WW2 that keeps trying to escape. Not as good as "The Great Escape" but I liked every minute of this movie. It reminds me of another favorite called "Von Ryan's Express" (which is a must see). If you have Netflix check this one out. I want to buy the DVD but it's out of print. Anyone know of of any good british WW2 movies?

Hiroshima: BBS History of World War II - 7/10

Unfortunately I had to watch this before going to bed and that's not a good idea! I love documentaries and especially those about World War II. This was OK and worth watching, but that's about it.

Doc Hollywood - 5.5/10

Michael J Fox is one of my favorite actors, but even he couldn't save this movie.

Dog Day Afternoon - 9/10

This one's a classic, but it loses something after the first viewing, but that's OK.

Miracle Mile - 8/10

I'm being nice here. I liked this one, but there is some seriously bad dialogue and acting. I figure most would give it a 6 or 7. I love end of the world movies.

BTW if you want a good under-appreciated movie, watch the TV version of "Anne Frank: The Whole Story". It's very true to the book, which I read a few weeks before seeing the movie. The B&W version is terrible. I need to watch the BBC version. I think i'll go watch Schindler's List tonight. I also need to try to finish "SHOAH". One other favorite is "The Pianist".

Jan 22, 2011 at 5:11 AM Post #7,347 of 24,683
The Green Hornet  Enjoyed that one a lot actually. Much better than the trailer would suggest.

Tron (the original)  This really holds up in my mind. Never saw this before, and it gave me a kind of "Star Wars"ian feel when I was watching it. And I am coocoo for Star Wars.

Jan 22, 2011 at 4:45 PM Post #7,348 of 24,683

Quote:
"Robin Hood: [5.5/10]: I didn't realize that Ridley Scott, Russell Crowe, and Cate Blanchett could make such a lackluster movie. Very disappointing...

Watched Robin Hood last night.  I agree completely with the sentiments above.  I would rate it a 5/10 though.

Jan 22, 2011 at 9:28 PM Post #7,350 of 24,683
"The Social Network" [8.8/10]: Watched it on Blu-Ray tonight. I liked it a lot. I think it could be a movie where one's appreciation grows with subsequent viewings. Engaging story (even for one, such as myself, who hasn't swallowed the Facebook pill...). Individual performances were somewhat underwhelming, but the story is a drama surrounding computer super geeks, so maybe these performances were appropriate. David Fincher and Aaron Sorkin are the stars of this film. Even though I'm a long time NIN and Trent Reznor fan, I didn't particularly enjoy the music when I bought the Trent Reznor/Atticus Ross soundtrack months ago, but it was very haunting while watching the film...added another dimension...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back