Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Dec 3, 2007 at 7:00 PM Post #46 of 24,686
Kidnap - 8/10

A Hong Kong suspense movie staring the lovely Karena Lam and Rain Li. Finally someone decided to do a smart crime film with women in the lead! Lam and Li are amazing in their roles, both provide very powerful and subtle performances, though I do question whoever did Lam's hair.
confused.gif
Basically the plot is that one woman kidnaps a child and the other woman (cop) tries to get the kid back. A few twist and turns and nothing goes as planed and then we have the inevitable final showdown.

Though I loved the movie there are a few things that could have been done better, First, there needed to be more character development. Lam and Li actually know each other before the crime in question takes place, though we never see them together. Also, Lam is supposed to be so in love with her husband, and yet we never really feel that, we just get scenes in which Lam tells us she loves him. Perhaps the most developed character, and therefore the most sympathetic, is Eddie Cheung because he's the one that connects everyone together like a good big brother.

Second, a few plot holes or things that just don't makes sense. But that happens in a lot of movies, and Kidnap moved fast enough so that you'd hardly notice until the end.

Third, the ending! What? This is how the final showdown between Lam and Li ends?

Fourth, I really thought Kidnap had potential to be just as good as Infernal Affairs. It had a good plot, a fantastic cast, and yet while it seemed to have all the action and plot twist there it really lacked the emotions. At least in Infernal Affairs you have Andy Lau and Tony Leung meeting in the audio store at first, it kind of sets up the image that these two mortal enemies aren't that different. In Kidnap, it seems the only scene Lam and Li are together is the final showdown. Where's there relationship before that? Especially since Li supposedly played a very big part of Lam's life (don't want to give away too many spoilers).

Dec 3, 2007 at 9:56 PM Post #48 of 24,686
Just saw 88 Minutes last night.

7/10

Great concept, however, the ending let me down. The film was great in that the director leads you to suspect everyone, however, some of the acting was quite crap and lame.

This film had some great potential, but wasn't an 'OMG I can't believe he/she did it!'

Dec 3, 2007 at 10:29 PM Post #49 of 24,686
Beowulf (part of a field trip during school)

2/5- horrible story that stomps all over the poem, weird animation at some points. Ending absolutely sucked.

Dec 3, 2007 at 11:02 PM Post #51 of 24,686
I agree with an earlier poster about the extremely high ratings.

And of course, now I have to be a huge hypocrite because I saw three great movies in a row
biggrin.gif

No Country For Old Men--9 1/2. This movie was unbelievable, easily the best Coen brothers movie, and that's saying A LOT.

Eyes Without A Face--8 1/2. A classic horror film that was the inspiration for the Michael Myers mask. It's very French, so some people may not like it, but if you appreciate movies that are more interested in visuals than plot (it's not a bad plot, it just ends up being secondary to what you're seeing) this is a no-brainer.

Enchanted--8. What a pleasant surprise! I was completely prepared to hate this movie, but it's refusal to take itself seriously was infectious. It skewers every conventional Disney plot device and stars one of the hottest actresses to come along in the last few years.

Ok, now to some of the so-so and stinkers I've seen recently...

Beowulf--6. The 3D effects were very impressive, much better than the old blue lens/red lens 3D flicks. The dragon was easily the best CG animation since Gollum, and whatever they did to stick-girl Angelina Jolie to give her boobs was awesome. However, the acting was crap, and if I remember my literature classes, they did some fairly extreme "re-imagining" (god, that's my least favorite Hollywood buzzword of the last ten years).

The Black Dahlia--2. My god, how could they manage to make a story about one of the most fascinating murders in recent history so damn dull? By "re-imagining" it! Instead of focusing on the Dahlia, you make the movie about some made up cops. Hillary Swank is wasted, and the lady who portrays her mother should get an over-acting Oscar for what is probably the worst performance I have EVER SEEN in a major Hollywood movie. Was she supposed to be a joke? If so, I don't get it.

Dec 4, 2007 at 1:43 AM Post #52 of 24,686
Donnie Darko - 8/10 - Second viewing, much much better than the first. I didn't really "feel" the film when I first watched it, but on second viewing I really got into it. I still can't explain the ending but it was a lot better overall on second viewing.

Dec 4, 2007 at 3:30 AM Post #54 of 24,686
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottyyy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Donnie Darko - 8/10 - Second viewing, much much better than the first. I didn't really "feel" the film when I first watched it, but on second viewing I really got into it. I still can't explain the ending but it was a lot better overall on second viewing.

Great movie!

Dec 4, 2007 at 4:44 AM Post #55 of 24,686
Apt Pupil. Great film.

Dec 4, 2007 at 6:27 AM Post #56 of 24,686
Rescue Dawn - 7 of 10

I went into this movie thinking it was going to be a nine or a ten and maybe that was why I didn't think it was fantastic. The acting was above average but not exceptional, in my opinion.

Dec 4, 2007 at 8:57 PM Post #57 of 24,686
Quite good, even if I have seen better. 8/10

Dec 4, 2007 at 9:43 PM Post #59 of 24,686
Elite Squad - Brazilian movie based on a true story of the elite police in Rio de Janeiro fighting against drug mafia and rich people ignorance. Really shows what happens and all the corruption involving the cops and the drug dealers. Highly recommended, i'd give it a 9,5/10. Go watch it guys ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back