Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Apr 19, 2024 at 12:08 PM Post #24,616 of 24,645
Better than any remakes they put out these days. Why can't they make movies like they used to? Ridley Scott has some real bangers in his prime. I wonder if they can do high res film remastered, or was the original print not great. This is why I wish all films were shot like Nolan does in IMAX 70mm for best quality preservation.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2024 at 6:24 PM Post #24,617 of 24,645
The Hijacking of Flight 601 - 10/10

Probably the best new TV series i've seen all year so far. It's new on Netflix. Definitely deserves to be seen by more people.
Love the "retro" look of this movie. Feels like you're taken back in time to the 70s.
Perfect cinematography, costumes and set designs. Reminded me of the style of movies like Air, Halt and Catch Fire and the Blackberry series (all great).
This one feels very realistic and most likely accurate. I think it's based on a book, but not positive on this.
The acting was mostly perfect and above average, especially by Edilma (played by Monica Lopera). She was the flight attendant who had children waiting at home for her.
At times it reminded me of "Dog Day Afternoon" (early Al Pacino movie about a bank robbery) and even parts of "Das Boot" (!).
I actually thought maybe the director was a fan of "Chernobyl" and got some ideas from that series, but maybe not.
It also made me realize how unrealistic "Executive Decision" probably is (another movie about a hijacking).

It's also pretty amazing how hey managed to keep us glued to the screen for 6 full hours, when most of the movie is shot inside an airplane or in an office.

I actually just finished watching this last night and am wanting to watch it again.
I wish I could buy a blu-ray of it!

Here's the trailer, but it has way too many spoilers. I watched it without seeing the trailer or knowing a thing about the series:

Apr 20, 2024 at 9:01 PM Post #24,618 of 24,645
Rebel Moon Part 2: The Snoregiver - 6/10

What happened? Loved every second of the first one and watched it twice in 2 days. Gave it a 10/10 and still stand by that score.
The entire movie I had this blank stare on my face. It's like my brain was completely shut off.
Didn't think or feel much of anything during the entire movie. Wasn't entertaining or fun. It's like even those characters I liked felt completely gone here.
How do you even make action sequences where you're not sure what the heck is going on and yet you're completely bored watching them?
During the shoot outs I was so bored I actually said to myself "Where is Bobby when you need him?" I wanted so much to have some fun and he would have helped me here.
I'm referring to Sweet Tooth Season 2. It's this little groundhog dude who steals a tank and saves the day. That is how bad it got.

The only scenes I really loved was the final battle and the one with Jimmy. It's too bad Jimmy had so little screen time.
Bae Doona's (Nemesis) scene was pretty good.

Visually the movie is still really impressive and that's probably one of the few reasons I didn't completely hate the movie.

BTW I really hope they don't make an R-rated version that's turned into some gore-fest. I don't know if a re-cut could salvage Part 2 for me.

You know what I really need right now? A Neill Blomkamp District 9 sequel or related TV series.
Just give him an unlimited budget. District 9 is one of the best sci-fi movies ever made IMO.

Sweet Tooth (Season 2) - 8/10

I gave up on this season after 2 or so slightly average and quite boring episodes. Felt like they were not doing enough to advance the story.
Luckily it got much better and it's still a lot of fun. Sometimes it does feel a bit bland this season. The acting is noticeably much worse from some smaller roles. In general, it's above average. This is a family friendly show and that kind of limits them a bit. Season 1 was pretty great (gave it a 10!).
The series ends after it's Season 3 is released in June.

Apr 21, 2024 at 9:28 AM Post #24,619 of 24,645
I have not watched many movies lately, but I am watching the Fallout series on amazon prime right now for the 2nd time

It is pretty well done and I love the character playing the cowboy ghoul. "There's two kinds of people, those with radaway and those without" :ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2024 at 11:08 AM Post #24,620 of 24,645
I have not watched many movies lately, but I am watching the Fallout series on amazon prime right now for the 2nd time

It is pretty well done and I love the character playing the cowboy ghoul. "There's two kinds of people, those with radaway and those without" :ksc75smile:
Fallout is a great series. Kind of has the ultraviolent touch of The Boys and Gen V, I approve.

Walton Goggins is such a good actor, he stands out in everything he's in. Django, Hateful Eight, Vice principals, The righteous gemstones.

Apr 21, 2024 at 3:33 PM Post #24,621 of 24,645
Fallout is a great series. Kind of has the ultraviolent touch of The Boys and Gen V, I approve.

Walton Goggins is such a good actor, he stands out in everything he's in. Django, Hateful Eight, Vice principals, The righteous gemstones.
The Shield....

Apr 22, 2024 at 12:45 AM Post #24,623 of 24,645
The Shield....
This is a different type of ultraviolence. :)

Imagine if people with super strength or other super powers did bad things to normal human beings type violence.

Apr 22, 2024 at 11:14 AM Post #24,624 of 24,645
This is a different type of ultraviolence. :)

Imagine if people with super strength or other super powers did bad things to normal human beings type violence.
If you watch the Season 2 Re-pilot episode first then go thru the Series - at first Vic and crew almost seem justified in what they are doing. But later on (spoiler follows) the corruption and never ending insanity changes everything (end spoiler).

In a way, it reminds me of "The Bell Jar". She seems OK at first and you sort of get into the story, (spoiler follows) then when she starts getting serious - ruh ro (end spoiler). I was smoking a lot of hash back then when I was 16 and it was quite the change from the Herman Hesse books I had been reading...

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2024 at 9:26 PM Post #24,625 of 24,645
Baby Reindeer - 10/10

A few days ago I had seen the best TV series of the year so far. Now this one is probably in my top 5 in the last FIVE years.
This is a true story about a comedian who had to deal with some really traumatic events in his life.
One day while working at a pub, a woman comes in and starts talking to him. He feels sorry for her and gives her some tea for no charge.
She becomes obsessed with him and he later finds out that she is a convicted stalker.

Normally I would give that sort of movie a pass, but somehow they made this story fascinating from start to finish.
I actually watched all six or so episodes in one sitting! That's how good it was.
I can't think of many scenes I might have done differently.
It doesn't come across as some thriller or horror movie or anything.
I can't say the series is disturbing at all except for a few parts.

There is a lot of narration and it feels like you're almost watching something based off of a book.
The acting and writing is some of the best i've seen in years. Not just by it's main character but even the smaller roles.
Some have said there is some dark comedy in here too. I didn't find that to be the case. Not quite funny enough to laugh out loud at.

I could probably talk about this series for hours. Even after the show I was reading things about it on youtube for another half hour or so.

Some of the main characters actions are really hard to understand. I still can't understand many of them. You probably have to study psychology or something.

I'm also glad Netflix seemed to give them full creative control to do what they wanted. They could have easily removed a few parts.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2024 at 11:39 PM Post #24,626 of 24,645
If you watch the Season 2 Re-pilot episode first then go thru the Series - at first Vic and crew almost seem justified in what they are doing. But later on (spoiler follows) the corruption and never ending insanity changes everything (end spoiler).

In a way, it reminds me of "The Bell Jar". She seems OK at first and you sort of get into the story, (spoiler follows) then when she starts getting serious - ruh ro (end spoiler). I was smoking a lot of hash back then when I was 16 and it was quite the change from the Herman Hesse books I had been reading...
I don't know, I still this think this tops that.

Apr 23, 2024 at 1:57 PM Post #24,629 of 24,645
Just saw the first Ep of Fallout. Very well made. Produced and directed by Johnathan Nolan, Christopher Nolan's bro. Never heard of him until this show. Co-creator of Westworld also.
Fallout appears to be interesting and well done - on the list.

I also note that the 17th and final episode of "The Prisoner" is titled "Fall Out" for the old timers here....

Attachments

• image0(4).jpeg
    image0(4).jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Apr 23, 2024 at 3:38 PM Post #24,630 of 24,645
Fallout appears to be interesting and well done - on the list.

I also note that the 17th and final episode of "The Prisoner" is titled "Fall Out" for the old timers here....
I've played the Fallout computer games since the 90s, and never know what 'Fallout' actually meant, until I saw this episode. lol

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back