Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Nov 17, 2014 at 4:49 AM Post #16,246 of 24,678
  To Hell and Back - 7/10 (1955)

Movie about one of the most decorated WWII soldiers. Check out this list of medals and info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audie_Murphy

Proof that soldiers as tough as Rambo really did exist! During one part of the movie I was thinking "no way this could have happened!".
Turns out it was true and in worse conditions than what was in the movie.Apparently he held off an entire company of German soldiers for an hour himself on top of a destroyed tank with a .50 caliber machine gun.
Hardly seems possible. He got the medal of honor for it. Wiki says 50 enemy soldiers wounded or killed. Reminds me of something from "Fury"!

Believe it or not the actual WWII veteran played himself! He apparently had a successful 22 years acting career. He died in 1971 (plane crash) and was only 45(!)

BTW I got this in a 4 movie DVD along with "Wake Island" for $5.

If you liked the film you really need to read the book. Murphy was a unique character and in the film he largely plays himself as the more mature "finished product" he became as opposed to the evolution of character that the book conveys.

Nov 17, 2014 at 11:32 AM Post #16,247 of 24,678
I feel like all of the Interstellar super hype isn't going to live up to itself at all with me either. Tons of other people that I've talked to say they missed parts of dialogue too.

It's funny you mention 2001: A Space Odyssey, there was some random youtube comment that called Interstellar "A Space Odyssey for stupid people." So that film went in my queue yesterday, definitely watching it again before Interstellar. Plus I haven't seen it since I was a little kid and there hasn't been a Kubrick film I haven't liked lol.

If there ever was an overhyped movie it was 2001: A Space Odyssey. But then I made the misstake to read the book long time before I saw the movie. And the movie had some age to it so it couldn´t impress special effect wise all that much. Though it was well done of course but not one of Kubrick´s better works.

Nov 17, 2014 at 12:11 PM Post #16,248 of 24,678
I feel like all of the Interstellar super hype isn't going to live up to itself at all with me either. Tons of other people that I've talked to say they missed parts of dialogue too.

It's funny you mention 2001: A Space Odyssey, there was some random youtube comment that called Interstellar "A Space Odyssey for stupid people." So that film went in my queue yesterday, definitely watching it again before Interstellar. Plus I haven't seen it since I was a little kid and there hasn't been a Kubrick film I haven't liked lol.

I'm surprised to even hear of it having "super hype". To me it doesn't sound really popular at all. For example on my Facebook page I've only noticed one person mention anything about it!
I don't even know if it's doing well at the box office. I actually didn't expect it to be #1 for weeks due to being a sci-fi movies. Some people I know will totally avoid those. I offered to take my mom to see this but she wouldn't go even if I probably offered her $100!!
I think I told her too much about the movie.

I complained to my theater about the dialogue, but they didn't say anything about fixing it or if they could. Today I got in the mail a $20 gift card for the theater and an Interstellar T-Shirt and hat.
Haha, don't think i'll be wearing those for my 4th viewing.

I could think of only a couple scenes where inaudible dialogue might be OK.

Oh and.. did you actually see it?

I personally think 2001 is overrated
biggrin.gif
I liked it though.

If I go see it again in Imax I might try sitting far away and see if the audio is any different. You'd think that sitting closer to the middle would be perfect. Maybe there is less bass in the back row
normal_smile .gif

It'd be funny if the dialogue was 100% audible while sitting as far to the right or left as possible.

Nov 17, 2014 at 1:00 PM Post #16,249 of 24,678

I'm surprised to even hear of it having "super hype". To me it doesn't sound really popular at all. For example on my Facebook page I've only noticed one person mention anything about it!
I don't even know if it's doing well at the box office. I actually didn't expect it to be #1 for weeks due to being a sci-fi movies. Some people I know will totally avoid those. I offered to take my mom to see this but she wouldn't go even if I probably offered her $100!!
I think I told her too much about the movie.

I complained to my theater about the dialogue, but they didn't say anything about fixing it or if they could. Today I got in the mail a $20 gift card for the theater and an Interstellar T-Shirt and hat.
Haha, don't think i'll be wearing those for my 4th viewing.

I could think of only a couple scenes where inaudible dialogue might be OK.

I personally think 2001 is overrated
biggrin.gif
I liked it though.

If I go see it again in Imax I might try sitting far away and see if the audio is any different. You'd think that sitting closer to the middle would be perfect. Maybe there is less bass in the back row
normal_smile%20.gif

It'd be funny if the dialogue was 100% audible while sitting as far to the right or left as possible.

Where have you been the last month. Last number I checked Interstellar was over 200 million USD so somebody is watching it. I know several that watched it several times already lol. Kind of the new Titanic

Nov 17, 2014 at 1:01 PM Post #16,250 of 24,678
checked again according to some sources past 300 million USD :p

Nov 17, 2014 at 6:13 PM Post #16,251 of 24,678

I haven't seen Interstellar yet, I'm not really in any rush either... I'll probably wait for it to come out on BR or something.  That's pretty funny about them sending you merchandise after you file a complaint.  

As far as the hype for it goes: a good 15+ people on facebook and twitter and a few less at school either all praising it or announcing that they're about to go see it.  I only survived 15 minutes of Gravity (which I also seem to remember being hyped a ton) The physics and character's sop was just way too goofy/distracting for me to take seriously.

Nov 18, 2014 at 1:55 AM Post #16,252 of 24,678
[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIP_gtjDtfE[/VIDEO]

Whiplash 8.5/10, this is a intense movie with superb acting by J.K. Simmons as a brutally demanding music instructor at a prestigious music conservatory who pushes his students over the limit and Miles Teller who is a talented and ambitious jazz drummer who will stop at nothing to be the greatest.

Nov 18, 2014 at 10:41 PM Post #16,253 of 24,678
I saw Interstellar again for free and even on Imax the sound was perfect this time around. Even on loud scenes you could hear the dialogue.
The only time it was hard to hear is when it was supposed to be that way (about 1 part that I can think of).
Some of the jokes from LARS were hard to hear. It really bugs me how much dialogue I had previously missed. It's as if it wasn't even there.

My idea is that some bad versions of the film went out and they fixed them somehow. On the first 3 viewings the poem was nearly impossible to hear.
This time around it was 10x easier to hear.

Another idea is that when you sit within 10 rows the dialogue is impossible to hear sometimes. I was maybe 5-10 rows to the left of the center each time. It's not like it happened when there was bass, but in nearly any scene.

This time I sat about 15 or so rows from the front and right in the center.

Strangely this movie seemed to affect me more on the 4th viewing. I wonder why. Felt way sadder than I remember. It also reminds me of some weird mix of movie directed by Terrence Malick & Ron Fricke. Some of the music reminded me of stuff out of Koyaanisqatsi and similar movies. Lots of it feels like just a really strange dream.

I really think it's one of the best American movies i've seen in the last 10 years. Maybe in my top 10 list soon? Who knows. I actually think this is very original and everything else out there is the same old thing. Not much i'd change. Maybe just expand the start of the movie a little. My last favorite was "Into the Wild", which is about near perfect too.

BTW I wonder if they put TARS and the robots in there for the same reason they added Wilson to "Cast away". Can you imagine "Castaway" without Wilson? People need constant entertainment I guess. Oh and of course we all remember Jar Jar Binks.

You know what this movie reminds me of the most? The old video came "Star Control II"! I bet nobody here remembers that one. Maybe the scriptwriter was a fan of that game when growing up.

After 4 viewings I still can't hear Professor Brand's last 3 words. Sounded something like "Don't Go.." Anyone know? On the first two viewing I couldn't make out any of it! Maybe those last words were not supposed to be heard!
Also..what did the robot say before the base blew up? Probably just telling him to get out. BTW I don't know why, but one of my favorites parts is when they dock while everything is spinning out of control. Kind of ridiculous and hard to believe, but that's OK.

Nov 18, 2014 at 11:37 PM Post #16,254 of 24,678
Nice to know there is hope of actually hearing the film at some point. I'm still thinking Blu Ray before chancing another theatre trip.

Jar Jar binks. Dunno if you remember but a film student actually re edited Binks out of the first film and put it up on the web. It got rave reviews and Lucas legalled the poor guy into oblivion to kill it.
Sometimes the director is a moron on some decisions. Lucas with Binks.

Coppola With Smoke.

Spielberg with Cruise

Nolan with expressionist poor sound as a film making experiment.

Sure Chris, really, you actually intended to release a film with unintelligible dialogue. We all believe that. Hope the Academy was listening too:)

Nov 19, 2014 at 1:48 AM Post #16,255 of 24,678
  Sometimes the director is a moron on some decisions. Lucas with Binks.

Don't a ton of people hate Lucas for his constant milking of money out of everything related to Star Wars?  *Oh you created this awesome fan art?  YOU'RE STEALING MY INTELLECTUAL
PROPERTY*

I can't be the only person that uses the term "George Lucasfication"  with the new Hobbit movies and other things that get dragged out way too long for teh monies.

Nov 19, 2014 at 2:19 AM Post #16,256 of 24,678
  Don't a ton of people hate Lucas for his constant milking of money out of everything related to Star Wars?  *Oh you created this awesome fan art?  YOU'RE STEALING MY INTELLECTUAL
PROPERTY*

I can't be the only person that uses the term "George Lucasfication"  with the new Hobbit movies and other things that get dragged out way too long for teh monies.

Yeah the Godfather of movie megalomania.

To be honest though with the wars series he had planned 6 right from the very begining. I don't think he planned a 30 year gestation cycle though and quite frankly he ran out of talent as a director long ago (howard the duck I think it was)

Hoolywood is so starved for ideas they have to drag everything out that they can. I mean if it gets any worse the remake will be out before the originals.

Nov 19, 2014 at 3:11 PM Post #16,257 of 24,678
Interstellar - 5.5/10

They spend half of the movie crying. The other half explaining something.
Stupid explanations trying to sound smart.
Edit: It is funny. Everything in the movie is very simple, but it is like the explanations try to turn the movie into something complex.
A melodrama trying to be intelectual.
Nolan trying to be Kubrick.

About the sound. I watched here in Brazil and I noticed the same problems.

Nov 19, 2014 at 8:25 PM Post #16,258 of 24,678
Saw Fury recently. Free veteran's day screening. It was good. Those tank battles were intense. They were on the precipice of death during each one, relying on misses by enemy tanks to keep them alive long to take them out. Some people have compared it to Saving Private Ryan; not terribly sure why though.

7/10

Nov 20, 2014 at 3:30 AM Post #16,260 of 24,678
Saw Fury recently. Free veteran's day screening. It was good. Those tank battles were intense. They were on the precipice of death during each one, relying on misses by enemy tanks to keep them alive long to take them out. Some people have compared it to Saving Private Ryan; not terribly sure why though.

7/10

It reminded me about Das Boot, with tanks and the usual Hollywood stuff. Despite the director and cast, I thought it was surprisingly good. The battles were very intense indeed, too bad they watered it down with occasional melodrama and ridiculous ending.

6/10

Users who are viewing this thread

Back