Rate The Last Movie You Watched
May 28, 2014 at 12:17 AM Post #15,721 of 24,653
  Godzilla (2014) - 8/10

Not sure if it's just my lame theater, but some scenes in this early on were VERY dim.

I suspect it was probably the theater...I had commented to the lady friend how bright and beautiful the image was for 3D. For a non-IMAX, it looked spectacular. 

May 28, 2014 at 3:52 PM Post #15,723 of 24,653
Chef (2014). 8.4/10 Excellent. I wanted to see this, sought it out, and was rewarded. Directed by, and starring Jon Farveau. Also John Leguizamo, Scarlett Johansson, and Bobby Cannavale (The Station Agent).

I stayed for the credits to catch the closing song, and was rewarded
with more scenes, and at the very end, Jon Farveau gets a lesson on preparing the perfect grilled cheese sandwich.

May 28, 2014 at 10:55 PM Post #15,726 of 24,653
  Chef (2014). 8.4/10 Excellent. I wanted to see this, sought it out, and was rewarded. Directed by, and starring Jon Farveau. Also John Leguizamo, Scarlett Johansson, and Bobby Cannavale (The Station Agent).

I stayed for the credits to catch the closing song, and was rewarded
with more scenes, and at the very end, Jon Farveau gets a lesson on preparing the perfect grilled cheese sandwich.

I agree, it was refreshing to see Jon in something other than a comedic lead role. Lots of top name actors and actresses casted into this movie including Dustin Hoffman, Robert Downey Jr, Oliver Platt, and Sofia Vergara along with the above mentioned. I got really hungry after watching this movie as the dishes that was being prepared by Jon in the movie looked so good. 8.5/10

May 29, 2014 at 2:23 AM Post #15,727 of 24,653
Let me just say that I know this is not a film that most would consider all that good, but if you're in the mood for something mindless, light, and somewhat amusing, it's not a bad option. The lady friend and I enjoyed it for what it was...

Loosies - 7.0/10

May 29, 2014 at 2:26 AM Post #15,728 of 24,653
You guys will probably think my taste has really gone into the crapper, but a buddy of mine recommended this one because they knew it would be my sense of humor...and for the most part they were exactly right. I admit, I laughed quite a bit here. I don't know who any of these main characters are, but one or two of them - particularly "Barry" - were really funny with solid comedic timing. There were also some cameos that were fun, so that was a plus. This is the sort of movie to watch when you're getting your drink on and just wanting to laugh a bit at stupid people. 

"Someone Marry Barry" - 7.4/10

May 29, 2014 at 3:24 AM Post #15,729 of 24,653
I I agree crazy good and get better for each viewing. It starts at a 10 and accelerates

May 29, 2014 at 9:52 AM Post #15,730 of 24,653
I agree, it was refreshing to see Jon in something other than a comedic lead role. Lots of top name actors and actresses casted into this movie including Dustin Hoffman, Robert Downey Jr, Oliver Platt, and Sofia Vergara along with the above mentioned. I got really hungry after watching this movie as the dishes that was being prepared by Jon in the movie looked so good. 8.5/10

I had no idea Jon Favreau directed so many movies (Iron Man 1 & 2, Cowboys and Aliens (now I want to see it), and he's to direct the upcoming Jungle Book) and The Office tv series. RDJ was a great cameo, and DH played the cliche owner trying to make the Chef cook what they want them to cook. When he audibly crunched into the grilled cheese sandwich my mouth started to water - also when he cut up that steak. Great food movies will do that - acurately depict food preparation.

This made my list of great food movies - in no particular order:

Babette's Feast (1987)
Mostly Martha (2001)
Eat Drink Man Woman (1994)
Big Night (1996)
Julie & Julia (2009)
Soylent Green (1973)

The last two being the outlyers with no Chef in the kitchen orchestrating the action scenes.

May 29, 2014 at 11:46 AM Post #15,731 of 24,653
  I had no idea Jon Favreau directed so many movies (Iron Man 1 & 2, Cowboys and Aliens (now I want to see it), and he's to direct the upcoming Jungle Book) and The Office tv series. RDJ was a great cameo, and DH played the cliche owner trying to make the Chef cook what they want them to cook. When he audibly crunched into the grilled cheese sandwich my mouth started to water - also when he cut up that steak. Great food movies will do that - acurately depict food preparation.

Babette's Feast (1987)
Mostly Martha (2001)
Big Night (1996)
Julie & Julia (2009)
Soylent Green (1973)

The last two being the outlyers with no Chef in the kitchen orchestrating the action scenes.

Not missing much with Cowboys and Aliens.

You have to have http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0097108/   this on your list of great food movies.

May 29, 2014 at 1:33 PM Post #15,732 of 24,653
  Cabin in the Woods (2012): 8/10
  but really, does that seem like a bad thing, to you?

I don't know, but you have a way of turning any film into an interesting prospect with your treacherous word spell, so I'm extra cautious when I read it. That said, this is one of the few recent horror movies that interests me. I'm baffled by the descriptions I've read and the not so bad critical response. Nice review as always.

May 29, 2014 at 2:59 PM Post #15,733 of 24,653

Babette's Feast (1987)
Mostly Martha (2001)
Big Night (1996)
Julie & Julia (2009)
Soylent Green (1973)

Yes, Jon has a bit more to offer than his usual comedic movie roles. He also has a cameo appearance in Iron Man 2 & 3 I think. If you enjoy food movies, check out Jiro Dreams of Sushi which was reviewed earlier in this thread. Jiro is the grandmaster of master sushi chefs, his creations are so mouth watering you just wish you had a seat at his chef's table when is creating his master pieces. This movie also takes a interesting look at Jiro's life and his philosophy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back