Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Mar 23, 2014 at 7:11 PM Post #15,346 of 24,645
Thief (1981) - 8,5

Very convincing depiction of a crucial moment in the life of a professional thief and organised crime in general. Very intelligent and well polished film, full of socio-cultural and psichological nuances that give it more depth than the apparently trivial plot might suggest. Beautiful neo-noir visuals, great camera work, the soundtrack consists of electronic music created by Tangerine Dream group enhancing the singular identity of this work from Michael Mann. Thief has a sober and very consistent style, a very solid linear progression, there's an apparent mindfullness for the little details and quirks of the major criminal acts (particularly Safe-cracking), I appreciated this aspect and I think it enriches Thief with educational value (not that this should be seen as an incentive to pratice the crimes here depicted, it's just an observation that aids the cinematic quality of this film in my opinion), but, for other viewers, this aspect could be boring and in turn the movie could come across as a bit empty or shallow... not the way I see it. The acting in general is very competent, I think James Cann did an excellent job playing the main character even if at times it didn't feel as natural as it could, but Jessie (played by Tuesday Weld) came across as an overly superficial person, the tears failed to appear in one crucial moment of the film, a bit more depth and accomplishment in her role would really help. Obviously wouldn't expect a woman who accepts an openly assumed criminal and rude man as an husband to be a particularly deep or smart person, but I feel that here was an opportunity to study the psyche of such kind of person more in depth which would contribute even more to the merits of this film and it would be congruent with it's cerebral nature anyway. The acting is pretty much my only qualm (besides some other minor details of no importance) but I feel that the overall quality of this movie is good enough that it transcends it's limitations, so I say without hesitation that I consider Thief to be a classic Crime Film, it's almost perfect, a model or archetype that is worth to be taken as a reference work (now I see where Drive (2011) from Nicolas Winding Refn got some of it's substance). I liked it very much and highly recommend it! Great stuff from Michael Mann! I might revise the rating.

Mar 23, 2014 at 7:50 PM Post #15,347 of 24,645
  Thief (1981) - 8,5

Very convincing depiction of a crucial moment in the life of a professional thief and organised crime in general. Very intelligent and well polished film, full of socio-cultural and psichological nuances that give it more depth than the apparently trivial plot might suggest. Beautiful neo-noir visuals, great camera work, the soundtrack consists of electronic music created by Tangerine Dream group enhancing the singular identity of this work from Michael Mann. Thief has a sober and very consistent style, a very solid linear progression, there's an apparent mindfullness for the little details and quirks of the major criminal acts (particularly Safe-cracking), I appreciated this aspect and I think it enriches Thief with educational value (not that this should be seen as an incentive to pratice the crimes here depicted, it's just an observation that aids the cinematic quality of this film in my opinion), but, for other viewers, this aspect could be boring and in turn the movie could come across as a bit empty or shallow... not the way I see it. The acting in general is very competent, I think James Cann did an excellent job playing the main character even if at times it didn't feel as natural as it could, but Jessie (played by Tuesday Weld) came across as an overly superficial person, the tears failed to appear in one crucial moment of the film, a bit more depth and accomplishment in her role would really help. Obviously wouldn't expect a woman who accepts an openly assumed criminal and rude man as an husband to be a particularly deep or smart person, but I feel that here was an opportunity to study the psyche of such kind of person more in depth which would contribute even more to the merits of this film and it would be congruent with it's analytical nature anyway. The acting is pretty much my only qualm (besides some other minor details of no importance) but I feel that the overall quality of this movie is good enough that it transcends it's limitations, so I say without hesitation that I consider Thief to be a classic Crime Film, it's almost perfect, a model or archetype that is worth to be taken as a reference work (now I see where Drive (2011) from Nicolas Winding Refn got some of it's substance). I liked it very much and highly recommend it! Great stuff from Michael Mann! I might revise the rating.

Grand theft auto 5 mission music was done by Tangerine Dream!

Mar 24, 2014 at 9:18 AM Post #15,350 of 24,645
I've never been a huge fan of Don Coscarelli, with one massive exception - Bubba Ho-Tep. Bubba is one of my favorite movies of all time....top 10 for sure...and that's the main reason why I gave this one a look. Well, also because of Paul Giamatti, one of my favorite actors. Anyway, if not for those reasons, I would have turned this off about 20 min in. I stuck it out and it did have some moments here and there, but overall I'd say it was more annoying than anything else. 

"John Dies at the End" - 6.5/10

Mar 24, 2014 at 9:22 AM Post #15,351 of 24,645
  Thief (1981) - 8,5

Very convincing depiction of a crucial moment in the life of a professional thief and organised crime in general. Very intelligent and well polished film, full of socio-cultural and psichological nuances that give it more depth than the apparently trivial plot might suggest. Beautiful neo-noir visuals, great camera work, the soundtrack consists of electronic music created by Tangerine Dream group enhancing the singular identity of this work from Michael Mann. Thief has a sober and very consistent style, a very solid linear progression, there's an apparent mindfullness for the little details and quirks of the major criminal acts (particularly Safe-cracking), I appreciated this aspect and I think it enriches Thief with educational value (not that this should be seen as an incentive to pratice the crimes here depicted, it's just an observation that aids the cinematic quality of this film in my opinion), but, for other viewers, this aspect could be boring and in turn the movie could come across as a bit empty or shallow... not the way I see it. The acting in general is very competent, I think James Cann did an excellent job playing the main character even if at times it didn't feel as natural as it could, but Jessie (played by Tuesday Weld) came across as an overly superficial person, the tears failed to appear in one crucial moment of the film, a bit more depth and accomplishment in her role would really help. Obviously wouldn't expect a woman who accepts an openly assumed criminal and rude man as an husband to be a particularly deep or smart person, but I feel that here was an opportunity to study the psyche of such kind of person more in depth which would contribute even more to the merits of this film and it would be congruent with it's analytical nature anyway. The acting is pretty much my only qualm (besides some other minor details of no importance) but I feel that the overall quality of this movie is good enough that it transcends it's limitations, so I say without hesitation that I consider Thief to be a classic Crime Film, it's almost perfect, a model or archetype that is worth to be taken as a reference work (now I see where Drive (2011) from Nicolas Winding Refn got some of it's substance). I liked it very much and highly recommend it! Great stuff from Michael Mann! I might revise the rating.

Added to my netflix queue. Thanks. I just saw Drive a couple weeks ago. Fantastic.

Mar 24, 2014 at 5:52 PM Post #15,352 of 24,645
  American Hustle (2013) - 7,5

A fiction told in flamboyant scenic style (highly influenced by Scorcese) based on real events. I do appreciate this narrative style but the acting and direction didn't keep up with the aspirations of this work in my opinion. I liked Jennifer Lawrence and always enjoy seeing Robert De Niro playing a badass Gangster, most other characters lacked some authenticity and the dialogues could had been more accomplished (felt like some actors/actresses weren't at ease with the reportedly improvised acting). I couldn't help but notice some rhythmical incoherence or inconsistence thoughout this movie, it didn't flow or dance as smoothly as I'd like (and as it was trying to?) mostly due to lack of insight in the editing department and in the way how the narrative is conveyed in tone. American Hustle deserved more technical commitment and clairvoyance from the direction, I think the screenplay is perfect to be explored by this cinematic style. A bit more competence and a modern classic should had been born... for the better or for the worse. I enjoy it as pure entertainment, great soundtrack, exciting and comical moments to be lived... but a few fails as well...

^^^ Crap, that's all crap! I re-watched American Hustle and now I wonder what the hell was I thinking when I wrote all that Bull***. Any critique I made concern only details of this master work. Hell, I love this movie so inteligent and so well done, it invites us to a wonderfull dance, an amazingly engaging emotional ride, seems like the very first time I saw it there was some Cognitive Dissonance going on or something... I take back all my negative commentaries about the incoherence, editing and tone, this is nothing less than a master work. Classic! Revaluating to 9,5.

Mar 24, 2014 at 6:48 PM Post #15,353 of 24,645

American Hustle (2013) - 7,5

A fiction told in flamboyant scenic style (highly influenced by Scorcese) based on real events. I do appreciate this narrative style but the acting and direction didn't keep up with the aspirations of this work in my opinion. I liked Jennifer Lawrence and always enjoy seeing Robert De Niro playing a badass Gangster, most other characters lacked some authenticity and the dialogues could had been more accomplished (felt like some actors/actresses weren't at ease with the reportedly improvised acting). I couldn't help but notice some rhythmical incoherence or inconsistence thoughout this movie, it didn't flow or dance as smoothly as I'd like (and as it was trying to?) mostly due to lack of insight in the editing department and in the way how the narrative is conveyed in tone. American Hustle deserved more technical commitment and clairvoyance from the direction, I think the screenplay is perfect to be explored by this cinematic style. A bit more competence and a modern classic should had been born... for the better or for the worse. I enjoy it as pure entertainment, great soundtrack, exciting and comical moments to be lived... but a few fails as well...

^^^ Crap, that's all crap! I re-watched American Hustle and now I wonder what the hell was I thinking when I wrote all that Bull***. Any critique I made concern only details of this master work. Hell, I love this movie so inteligent and so well done, it invites us to a wonderfull dance, an amazingly engaging emotional ride, seems like the very first time I saw it there was some Cognitive Dissonance going on or something... I take back all my negative commentaries about the incoherence, editing and tone, this is nothing less than a master work. Classic! Revaluating to 9,5.

carmine, i want the one that carmine gave me, carmine, carmine, why don't you just marry carmine, get a little gold microwave and put it on a chain around your neck - you wanne be more like carmine why don't you build something like he does instead of all your empty deals it's just like your screwk'n science oven, you know that i read it takes all of the nutrition out of our food - empty, just like your deals, empty, empty.

Mar 24, 2014 at 6:56 PM Post #15,354 of 24,645

personally, i had the same experience with a winding refn film - after the ending i swore i hated it (after loving it up to the end, which i didn't agree with). after a day or two of reflection, turns out to be very well made.

Mar 24, 2014 at 7:48 PM Post #15,356 of 24,645
Enemy: This movie had such high praise I decided I'd make the trip to the only theater in my city that was playing it. I kind of regret it now. The cinematography was above average I guess, but they really were in love with dark lighting, and in an unrealistic way. Who sits down to a meal with their pregnant wife in the dark? I found it distracting.

The score also seemed to get in the way of the experience, loud passages when they weren't needed, down beat music when there was nothing at all down-beat about the scene it was playing in... things like that. I thought the acting was quite good.

If you're sensitive to that sort of thing, there was way more nudity in this movie than I would have expected. This was reviewed as a psychological thriller...but there wasn't much thrill for me.

6/10

Mar 25, 2014 at 12:31 AM Post #15,357 of 24,645

Glad to see you reevaluated :)  Not everyone loves every film, but personally I thought this film was extremely well done and very entertaining. I wasn't all that excited about seeing it initially, but it really won me over. 

Mar 25, 2014 at 2:01 AM Post #15,358 of 24,645
Like Father, Like Son - 9.5/10

Probably one of the best films i've seen in the last 6 months. It's a recent Japanese movie from Hirokazu Kore-eda that i've been trying to see forever. No blu-ray or rental release date anywhere! I asked my local "arthouse" theater to play it but they never did.

I noticed one day it was playing in some city in Michigan very close to me. Took a drive out there to this city i've never visited before and it felt like I had traveled back in time. This city still had a roller skating rink and the theater was from the 20s! It looked really cool inside and the theater had a bar that looked like it was something out of an old western movie. The screen was small but had good video quality.

So anyway, the movie is about a family that finds out their 5 year old son was switched at birth. The parents have to decide if they want to wait or do an exchange. Some critics didn't love the movie but I liked every minute of this despite it being fairly slow the whole movie. They don't deliberately make it a tear jerker, but it was for me for some reason. It's one of those happy/sad movies but not like the Lifetime crap on TV. During the whole movie I felt like I was one of the parents and you could really relate to what was happening to them. I don't even have any children of my own yet.

The director of this one also made "I Wish" and "Nobody Knows". "I Wish" I also loved and it's free on Amazon Prime.

Malta Story - 8/10

This is an older Alec Guinness WWII movie. Liked nearly all of it except how they killed off his character at the end. Felt like it was like one of those message movies trying to convince me to join the war effort or something. Killing off the main character in a movie is just the easy way out to me. Usually when they do this it's also not done very well and feels tacked on. Then of course he was going to marry someone right before his death. So annoying!

The Silent Enemy - 7/10

WWII movie about frogmen. One i'll probably forget easily. "The Frogmen" is much better.

Indiana Jones: Raiders of the Lost Art - 9/10

I've now seen this twice in the last year and it seems to get better and better. Hard to believe it was made in 1981! Pretty graphic for being PG. People even got shot in the head and stabbed through with spikes! Good family fun! I think they had no PG-13 rating back then.

FYI I think I remember being traumatized by Temple of Doom when I was a kid. My dad took me to the theater to see it and I think I was only 4(!). Must have been the human sacrifices and ripping out beating hearts from chests.

Mar 25, 2014 at 6:42 AM Post #15,359 of 24,645

To say the truth I found the movie surprisingly disappointing. I felt boredom in the air when I watched it in a movie theater.

Living ( 2011, Russia) 8/10

Director Vasili Sigarev

Evil is so real in this realistic Russian film that it is painful to watch. Russian landscape is so depressing that there is a lot of material for a drama. The problem is how to make a positive film in Russia. Haven't seen anything decent in this direction lately except cheasy pop-corn entertainment.

Mar 25, 2014 at 10:55 AM Post #15,360 of 24,645
I think I'm now up to around five or six of the films that were nominated for best picture, so I'm getting there...

I had to keep pausing this one, because every time something over the top happened to this guy, I had to see on the spot if it was creative license or if it really did happen...much to my surprise, many of the craziest happenings in the movie really did happen in real life...that's pretty remarkable. I was extremely impressed with Jonah Hill...he's got much stronger acting chops than I realized. I didnt' even notice that this had a 3hr running time until it was already over, so I guess that says a lot about how I felt about it. Not a great film, but very solid and very entertaining. 

"The Wolf of Wall Street" - 8.3/10

Users who are viewing this thread

Back