Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Apr 24, 2024 at 9:18 PM Post #24,631 of 24,643
Shogun (the new one) is done. While taken on its own it was pretty good. The whole Toranaga burning the ship, and doing it over and over isn't just some strange atomic choice - he wanted the foreigners out and a return to the old ways (no gun powder). That's just one of the myriad threads in the book that cannot be manifested in a mini-series. That's the nature of the beast.

Apr 25, 2024 at 4:05 PM Post #24,633 of 24,643
I luv it. The movies this guy reviews.

In a similar vein - MST3K (Mystery Science Theater 3000) was a fav of mine - 3 wags commenting on really bad Sci Fi movies.

Apr 26, 2024 at 3:52 AM Post #24,634 of 24,643
I saw Koreeda's latest, Monster (2023). but have mixed feeling on it. It's not the kind of film I really enjoy or really wanted from Koreeda. It's quite Avant-garde, I'm usually not into such types of films.
It's a film about perspectives. How each person draws their conclusions based only on what they can witness, which isn't enough to get a correct sense of what is really going on. I'm not sure if it's like Rashomon. The perspectives in this movie isn't twisted or skewed, it's just limited in what is witnessed. And the witness draws wrong conclusions due to human nature to fill that incomplete information with what their mind wants to expect, or what we call bias. This film exemplifies that Koreeda can make various kinds of films in an interesting way.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2024 at 4:08 PM Post #24,636 of 24,643
This seems to be doing well at the Korean box office currently

And then another General Yi Sun-sin movie. I like the last one, so probably check this one out. I like the turtle ship for warfare.

Also, this looks interesting

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2024 at 6:33 PM Post #24,637 of 24,643
Saw Dune: Part 2. I really disliked the first one, and have similar sentiment with this one. I really don't like the design, the story, and in general the way it's made. I don't like any of the characters either. It's just not engaging at all. Just can't stand the two movies. Two of the most overrated movies ever. I really didn't want to see this after the first, and my feelings hasn't changed. I hate watching these movies.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2024 at 9:43 PM Post #24,638 of 24,643
Saw this one. It's another Japanese Avant-garde film I've run across. It was in the Japanese Academy awards, and also I've heard it was nominated for the Oscars. Anyway, not my style of film. It doesn't have any clear plot, but it's one of those films that evokes something inside you and you make the interpretation I guess, and I hate those kinds. I find films like these very pretentious.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2024 at 8:24 PM Post #24,639 of 24,643

Saw this. Didn't enjoy it, since I couldn't understand what was going on. I had to read this reddit post to understand the plot. Initially, it looked similar 'The Wailing' so I was interested, but I didn't care for the supernatural plot. It's a horror, but not all that scary. More of a suspense movie. I get a sense that it's trying to be like 'The Wailing,' but it's not going to happen. The plot is a bit complex that isn't easily explained by this movie. I think it could be more enjoyable for you if you can follow the plot easily.

https://www.reddit.com/r/horror/comments/1bf5mzp/exhuma_korean_movie_questions/

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2024 at 12:42 AM Post #24,640 of 24,643
Pulp fiction. 10/10.

Apr 29, 2024 at 6:08 AM Post #24,641 of 24,643
Our Living World - 8/10

Similar to the Planet Earth series. Worth watching. 2024 Netflix release.

Hack Your Health: The Secrets of Your Gut - 8/10

The subject of the microbiome is pretty fascinating to me so I found this documentary very interesting.
There is a lot of good information here if you don't know much about it yet.
There is also one scene in the show that can not be unseen.
People at home do a Fecal Microbiome Transplant on their dining room table.
All I see is a guy getting a plastic container out of his freezer with a giant piece of poop in it and putting it into his blender and then into capsules.
OK, I don't want to know the details and what stage 2 involves. I'm afraid to know. Thankfully it's not shown.
I guess this would make an interesting conversation at work on Monday.
"Hey, what did you do over the weekend? Anything fun?"

Apr 29, 2024 at 5:32 PM Post #24,642 of 24,643
Killers of the Flower Moon

Saw this. MS tells stories well, as it's easy to follow. It's just that, it was a boring story for the screen. I saw half of it, no motivation to finish. Historically, interesting, but not very interesting as a flick.

Apr 29, 2024 at 7:42 PM Post #24,643 of 24,643
The brothers sun 2024 netflix

You know with Michelle yeoh it’s going to be good, and it is. Avoid the twigs and seeds and breath in with this fun life tale of triad life, succession, and obligations to family. 4 out of 5 easy

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back