Rainbow Foil, Initial impressions
May 7, 2004 at 3:15 AM Post #346 of 466
Much of what goes on at head-fi makes rainbow foil look like rocket science.

The problem with not understanding what is placebo and what is not placebo in the audio world (and the hard facts are out there and well-settled, though not the least bit welcome at head-fi, or in stereophile, etc.) is that you are much more likely to achieve exceptional high-fidelity and much more likely not to waste your money if you understand what produces audible changes and what does not. The people who fall for the bunk have a responsibility to themselves get a grip. The information is out there. Otherwise, enjoy the kool-aid.

May 7, 2004 at 4:13 AM Post #347 of 466
More and more I'm beginning to put less and less credence in those who don't do stricter A/B testing. I learned this due to my own calls on what's better before I could doa direct comparison. I sold off the Senn 600 and Equinox cable before I could compare them directly to the Sony CD3K. I thought the Sony was much better for the longest time, and now have both sitting right next to me, actually two pairs of Senns, and find that when I compare them both I like the Senns better. I also am finding out certain things about the Equinox cable that I didn't know befre I sat down with a second pair of Senns using a stock cable. I'm not gonna say too much more on this as I'm writing an article on the Equinox, but I have found out a lot now that I have sat down with them and done a direct A/B with them.

May 7, 2004 at 4:22 AM Post #348 of 466
Quote:

The people who fall for the bunk have a responsibility to themselves get a grip. The information is out there. Otherwise, enjoy the kool-aid.

Amen.

Quote:

Are you blindfolded to accept new ideas?

Are you blindfolded to accept new ideas? Take a look at exactly what you wrote and exactly what it actually implies. Ironic isn't it. You are blindfolded to the fact that these people are working very hard to convince you that something is true when any rational human being can see that this is snake oil. And embracing snake oil because you like placebos makes you an idiot.

May 7, 2004 at 7:50 AM Post #349 of 466
so after 14 pages of posting pink you sort of admit that the rainbow foil is all about the placebo effect it offers?

Btw. these guys sent me the samples very quickly with a bit of documentation. Very professional guys.

May 7, 2004 at 12:14 PM Post #350 of 466
Quote:

Originally Posted by marios_mar
so after 14 pages of posting pink you sort of admit that the rainbow foil is all about the placebo effect it offers?

Marios,

To be honest, I'm not sure. I "think" my amp sounds slightly better after attaching a strip of Rainbow foil to the PCB, whether this is due to the foil or my imagination I can't say.

There's really no way of "proving" if it's the foil or the imagination is there?

If I were to categorically state it was the foil I'd probably be branded a lunatic and tarred and feathered by all the naysayers here so I'm not going to say any more on the subject and leave it up to the other people who have received samples to come to their own conclusions.

These guys did a test with a PWB tweak and they conclude it is "not" placebo... it's worth reading: http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue8/belt.htm

All the best.

Pinkie.

PS: Have you tried your sample yet?

May 7, 2004 at 6:56 PM Post #351 of 466
Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkFloyd
Well Doug,

Let's answer that by referring to a recent post by Hirsch (Head-Fi's interconnect DBT expert) who stated that the Cardas V2 cable sounded better than the Cardas V1 cable and I quote:

"I'll chime in, since I've just changed from the V1 to the V2 of the Cardas. Jude nailed the main points nicely. Nice secure connectors, and the most flexible aftermarket cable around. However, I think he's understating the sonic difference. It's not just the highs. The Cardas V2 really opens up the HD-600, providing improved clarity up and down the frequency range. Using a modded SHA-1, I had a hard time telling which headphone was the HD-650 with a Moon Audio Silver Dragon, and which was the HD-600 with Cardas v2. Ultimately, the HD-650/Silver Dragon had slightly better clarity and frequency extension. However, I'll admit I'm extremely happy with the HD-600 and the new Cardas. The v2 of the Cardas cable brings the HD-600 to an extremely satisfying level of performance."

It's pretty obvious from where I stand that Hirsch was experiencing the Placebo effect considering that Cardas stated there was no sonic difference between V1 and V2 of their cable and I quote:

"Yes, we have made a second version of the headphone cable. The only way
to tell is by the plastic plugs for the headphones... They have our logo
on the outside and are exactly the same size as a stock HD600 plug. The
old version uses the same pins but the plastic plugs are much smaller
and do not have our logo on them. There is no sonic difference between the two versions."
Sourced from: http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=70253

It isn't nice to pull the pants off a fellow HeadFi'er like that - naughty, naughty. Maybe it was the logo that gave improved clarity up and down the frequency range
tongue.gif

May 7, 2004 at 8:32 PM Post #352 of 466
Quote:

Originally Posted by radrd
And embracing snake oil because you like placebos makes you an idiot.

I assume this observation is fact and is taken from your personal experience?

May 7, 2004 at 8:40 PM Post #353 of 466
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dane
It isn't nice to pull the pants off a fellow HeadFi'er like that - naughty, naughty. Maybe it was the logo that gave improved clarity up and down the frequency range
tongue.gif

That wasn't my intention at all Dane I was merely citing this example to show that there are forces other than technological improvements that can affect our perception of sound, such as the power of our beliefs and our expectations.

May 10, 2004 at 4:26 PM Post #354 of 466
Well my piece of Rainbow Foil arrived a few days ago, thanks PinkFloyd, & I carefully placed it inside the Chiara headphone amplifier in roughly the same area as Mike's. Guess what? I could hear no differences in sound quality whatsoever. To be truthful, I wasn't expecting to hear any magical improvements anyway. I've had past experience of Peter Belt & his products in the late 1980's & wasn't convinced then. But hey, what do I know?

Incidentally, I came across an old Hi-Fi mag four page article on Mr Belt, April 1991. To briefly sum up the Editor's comments.

< I came to Belt open-minded, & commissioned the articles in this month's issue because I was fascinated; I wanted to know for myself. But I've drawn a total blank. I can only reach a personal decision that 'the Belt effect' is tosh of the first order.>
Jez Ford

I guess nothing has changed thirteen years later.

Best,

Nigel

May 11, 2004 at 11:22 PM Post #355 of 466
This thread was originally intended as a belated April fools joke but the longer it went on, the more I realised how Head-fi was lacking in new ideas / content etc. The thread is barely one month old yet it's had 11,000 views and 353 replies does that show you how stale the Sennheiser debate on Head-Fi had become?

IMO Rainbow foil is nothing more than "tin foil" and Peter Belt is a jester, A Jester who offered free samples nonetheless and he must be respected for that.

This thread has been a diversion from the norm and I trust it has been informative and entertaining.

Pinkie.

May 11, 2004 at 11:31 PM Post #356 of 466
Quote:

This thread was originally intended as a belated April fools joke but the longer it went on, the more I realised how Head-fi was lacking in new ideas / content etc.

The HD600 v HD650 debate had peaked and I just thought a change of direction was in order.

IMO Rainbow foil is nothing more than "tin foil" and Peter Belt is a jester, A Jester who offered free samples nonetheless and he must be respected for that.

This thread has been a diversion from the norm and I trust it has been informative and entertaining.

Pinkie.

The thread is barely one month old yet it's had 11,000 views and 353 replies does that show you how stale the Sennheiser debate on Head-Fi had become?

BAHAHA!
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
Was just about to post a "you're crazy"-type of reply when I at last reached page seven. Good idea to check out the last post first. This made my day (and everybody else's I think). Thanks
biggrin.gif

May 12, 2004 at 2:30 AM Post #357 of 466
Quote:

This thread was originally intended as a belated April fools joke but the longer it went on, the more I realised how Head-fi was lacking in new ideas / content etc.

Pinkie.

The thread is barely one month old yet it's had 11,000 views and 353 replies does that show you how stale the Sennheiser debate on Head-Fi had become?

Damn you Pinkie!
tongue.gif
biggrin.gif

May 12, 2004 at 9:21 PM Post #360 of 466
Quote:

This thread was originally intended as a belated April fools joke but the longer it went on, the more I realised how Head-fi was lacking in new ideas / content etc. The thread is barely one month old yet it's had 11,000 views and 353 replies does that show you how stale the Sennheiser debate on Head-Fi had become?

Pinkie.

The REAL truth is.... the naysayers win and I can't be arsed (there's no point) wasting any more time on this topic. You win...... the rainbow foil and all PWB products are snake oil, happy now? ..... end of my contribution to this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back