Rail Splitter with Multiple OPamps
Dec 5, 2011 at 6:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

scootsit

1000+ Head-Fier
Hello.
I am building a distribution amplifier for a friend. I am planning on using 4 separate Opamps. I am going to be using the TI rail splitter with the 8 pin DIP.

My original plan had been to wire all 4 rail splitters in parallel to my power source (a pair of lantern batteries in series). I have since been considering how much additional work that would be, with splitting the input into four separate feeds and grounds. And, given that the input source is a single plug, that would couple all of the virtual grounds anyway.

So, I guess what I'm asking is, should I use one rail splitter or four?

Dec 5, 2011 at 8:29 PM Post #2 of 4
You should use a dual-rail power supply.

As you increase the number of outputs so you increase the ground currents, which flow in the gnd created by the rail splitter. Therefore, if you choose to use a rail-splitter-type system, you should use an additional rail-splitter per output and attempt to make sure the return currents for each driver are kept apart. These currents should be kept separate in a dual-rail system too, but in a correctly designed dual-rail system the impedance in the ground return circuits will be lower and so the distorting effects of the currents in them will be smaller.

w

Dec 5, 2011 at 9:00 PM Post #3 of 4
Wakibaki,
Thanks! That was my plan (one rail splitter per output). But I was just considering that since the input is a TRS, and it will therefore go to the virtual ground of each rail splitter, then, that will more or less connect all of the virtual grounds. What I didn't consider is that that is still considerably less current than it all going through one.

I did consider the possibility of grounding to the mixer on the input, and not having the input grounded at all inside the distribution amp, that seemed like a bad idea, but it would allow for the virtual grounds to be entirely isolated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back