Radsone EarStudio ES100
Jul 11, 2018 at 12:34 AM Post #1,591 of 6,675
Can confirm LDAC support on a Google Pixel XL running Android 8.1.0

Screenshot_20180710-232703.png

Jul 11, 2018 at 12:41 AM Post #1,592 of 6,675
Suprised there is no mention of ldac considering how recently this was published. Still, a good review worth sharing to help spread the word of this beast. One day I'll check out ldac and the balanced out, but not in a hurry. What it does with even youtube quality satifies. I think I'ved had the es100 for about 6 months now, and every day it brings the goods. Frickin' ridiculous value!

https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2018/07/radstone-earstudio-australian-review/
Well, most publication for non-time sensitive article can be 1months in advance, thus might miss firmware update etc2. Some publication do revised edit if the article proved popular tho.

edit: Looking at the apps screenshot, they probably tested it with iOS devices, thus doesn't bother much on ldac I suppose.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2018 at 12:59 AM Post #1,593 of 6,675
Happily listening to LDAC on my Google Pixel 2 XL running 8.1.0 version from 9th July.

Best Effort seems to work alright. Best Quality struggles because of a personal habit... Hand in my pocket resting on my phone and right over the Bluetooth transmitter.

It feels better than Aptx HD but I haven't tried to compare the two side by side, so take the comment with a pinch of salt.

I used to rock a lot of FLAC years ago but it's much harder to obtain a FLAC file than it is to listen to a streaming service (currently Apple Music, thank you EE).

I'm happy with any kind of upgrades, even the placebo ones :)

Jul 11, 2018 at 2:09 AM Post #1,594 of 6,675
@wslee
No cut outs for me yet on 990 LDAC on my Canadian S7. I think same phone as wayne. What are you guys setting as your buffer size in earstudio app? Also where are you getting cut outs? Maybe I have less interference where I live. I haven't tried commuting with it yet or in a busy area. Maybe outdoors giving you guys problems? At home I can only get it to cut out if I place the phone behind me my back and the ES100 in front of me. I will update if I experience anything

No issues after that 1st 10 seconds. All is good. Buffer set to 7. Only thing that gives me a problem is the microwave.

I'm happy with any kind of upgrades, even the placebo ones :)

Me too lol!

Jul 11, 2018 at 2:52 AM Post #1,595 of 6,675
I just uploaded the latest 1.30 firmware
LDAC sounds slightly better than Aptx HD I think. It seems more dynamic, clearer and cleaner. Maybe slightly more musical or new toy syndrome lol.
I'm just so happy with LDAC, playing with WM1Z / ES100/ ALO RX iem amp/ Warbler Prelude :k701smile:

Sounds so musical, airy, warm & high resolution at same time. It makes Warbler sings.

Thank you Lee!!

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2018 at 4:23 AM Post #1,596 of 6,675
Makes sense. Good eye! The firmware screenshot shows a build from May.

Well, most publication for non-time sensitive article can be 1months in advance, thus might miss firmware update etc2. Some publication do revised edit if the article proved popular tho.

edit: Looking at the apps screenshot, they probably tested it with iOS devices, thus doesn't bother much on ldac I suppose.

Jul 11, 2018 at 4:46 AM Post #1,597 of 6,675
Suprised there is no mention of ldac considering how recently this was published. Still, a good review worth sharing to help spread the word of this beast. One day I'll check out ldac and the balanced out, but not in a hurry. What it does with even youtube quality satifies. I think I'ved had the es100 for about 6 months now, and every day it brings the goods. Frickin' ridiculous value!

https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2018/07/radstone-earstudio-australian-review/

"Ambient Sound is a particularly cool feature that uses the inbuilt microphone to add atmospheric sound to the mix to help you be more aware of your surroundings. Or you can set it to 100% and eavesdrop on conversations while people think you have headphones on."

I also tried that! :D

But wish we had more reviews from established Hifi/tech websites, could help make this little wonderful device sell even more.

Jul 11, 2018 at 6:23 AM Post #1,599 of 6,675
I just uploaded the latest 1.30 firmware
LDAC sounds slightly better than Aptx HD I think. It seems more dynamic, clearer and cleaner. Maybe slightly more musical or new toy syndrome lol.
I'm just so happy with LDAC, playing with WM1Z / ES100/ ALO RX iem amp/ Warbler Prelude :k701smile:

Sounds so musical, airy, warm & high resolution at same time. It makes Warbler sings.

Thank you Lee!!

I also think is sounds slightly better than Aptx HD in the same way as you. Must compare them side by side in the upcoming days... To my ears it sounded slightly wider and more open and airy but I'm thinking as you say; new toy syndrome :)

Jul 11, 2018 at 10:02 AM Post #1,602 of 6,675
Looks nice and short! Can I ask where you got it from / what connectors it has?
Check for MavisMods in eBay. It is not short may be the picture is misleading. Is 1.5 meters.
I am not sure if I understood well the question about connectors obviously because I do not know a lot about these things. 2.5mm for a&k pin map balanced on one end and the other I do not know what to say...

The guy is very helpful answering questions making modifications and selling also cables for 4xx and Meze 99. He can answering everything better than me.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2018 at 10:05 AM Post #1,603 of 6,675
Finally got the ES100 and the Beyerdynamic IEMs (iDX 200)! Sounds absolutely amazing :)
I've done a quick test of the USB DAC mode as well and confirmed that it does work with both WASAPI and ASIO in Windows 10. WASAPI is "Low Latency Shared Mode", and I'm getting 10 ms latency. I'm not sure if there is a way to get lower latency with WASAPI. I think the device/drivers has to support "exclusive mode" which then provides lower latency. ASIO works fine and I seem to be able to get way lower latency as well. Haven't tested it a lot in a DAW though.

What I could not get to work is to connect it with Bluetooth to Windows 10 ("That didn't work. Make sure your Bluetooth device is still discoverable, then try again").
Is that supported at all?

Jul 11, 2018 at 10:33 AM Post #1,604 of 6,675
Bluetooth is working fine in surface book with or without Audirvana. More importantly the amazing Radsone app says what codec you are using on the fly. One time my tidal app had problems and warn me with call quality codec as the sound was atrocious. Not a second spend for a second guess.

Jul 11, 2018 at 7:41 PM Post #1,605 of 6,675
Thank you @rafaelo. Your confirmation that it works with Bluetooth on Windows 10 made me look into it further. Made it work easily with a desktop (Intel Bluetooth - getting AptX). Took me hours and hours of troubleshooting to get it to work with my Dell XPS 15 (Broadcom Bluetooth - getting SBC), and it's still not very stable. The Broadcom Bluetooth chip just sux.

Loving the ES100 so far. Still on my first battery cycle, so plenty more testing to go :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back