Rack/Tower Suggestions?
Feb 19, 2007 at 3:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

proglife

500+ Head-Fier
I'm in the market for a new audio rack/tower and am looking for some suggestions.

Requirements:

- 4-5 shelves
- $300 absolute max
- no bling or exotic designs, no fancy wood...probably all black

A Rega P3 will sit on top.

Anyone have any experience with a rack that fits my requirements? Thanks in advance.

Feb 19, 2007 at 4:07 PM Post #4 of 12
Derek, I've looked long and hard at that model. Do you have any experience with it?

Feb 19, 2007 at 4:58 PM Post #7 of 12
Feb 19, 2007 at 5:53 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by derekbmn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have two and for the money they cannot be beat. IMO

Doesn't look very "Bump safe"
tongue.gif

Feb 20, 2007 at 10:41 AM Post #9 of 12
Proglife,
you've been given two really good racks to consider. The VTI looks beautiful but the Salamander is far more practical and I don't know if SayNoToPistons was joking but he has a point. Accidents do happen and a bump would be the most likely of all.

The Salamander looks very similar to a design that's been on TNT-Audio for ages and the ability to raise, lower or remove a shelf should'nt be sniffed at. The other point is that in the future you might like to think about having slate or stone shelves made, which will increase the weight and so further reduce vibrations entering the rack system.

Having had Rega decks years ago - do not under-estimate the importance of isolating a rigid deck from vibration. As both these racks are so cheap for what you get, think about buying a wall shelf for the Rega - you won't regret it and you then have the advantage of placing it at a height that suits you personally.

Feb 20, 2007 at 2:05 PM Post #10 of 12
Thanks for the reply. I ended up buying the VTI rack. I used to own a Lovan Classic and the "bump" thing was never a problem.

I remember how thin the Lovan's shelves were and these are probably the same way. I work for a guitar manufacturer, so I might see if I can get someone to cut me some custom boards.

Feb 20, 2007 at 4:03 PM Post #11 of 12
Proglife,
timber is very resonant - go for slate or granite shelves and seriously think about a wall shelf for the TT - you won't regret it.

I don't know if the 'Target' TT shelf is still available but google and find out - happy listening. BTW if shipping was'nt so damned expensive - I might have gone for one for either the VTI or Salamander.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back