Raal Ribbon Headphones - SRH1A
Jun 20, 2021 at 1:06 AM Post #4,051 of 7,898
By the way, not to sound like a party pooper, but I have all 3 convolution filters, but, thus far, I like the stock Raal the best.

In some cases, I use the analog EQ on my Accuphase amp.

Not yet sold on the convolution filters, but I'll continue to try them out. They weren't an instant hit for me, basically.
Your gear likely is suited for the SR1a. I mentioned above that my KRELL K-300i was a 10/10 on the SR1a without any filters. A lot of other gear I tried was awful without the filter. I feel that the filters has made even my lesser gear approach the why spend more question.

Jun 20, 2021 at 7:02 AM Post #4,052 of 7,898
LOL, I was wondering what that was all about. The SR1a has to be the least heat trapping designs on the market (although there is at least one other similar design in a conventional cone driver that I'm aware of). I owned Utopia and while I loved the sound the slightly too small for my ears earpad pockets would get my ears very warm.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2021 at 3:32 AM Post #4,054 of 7,898
I did an interesting test today after I read Sandu's review of the Topping D90Se. He was talking about the Radiohead song "No Surprises" from OK Computer. So I played that song on my Benchmark DAC3B and COA 07x premap to my floor standers. I was hearing some distortion or some fluttering type of sound. I am thinking I have a damaged tweeter. Though I could not hear this sound with other music.

So I was then wondering if the issue was the song itself. Then later in the evening I used ROON to GROUP (sync'ed streams) my Benchmark DAC3B and Gustard X26 Pro DACs with the Convolution filter from Accurate Sound. I also adjusted the gain on the CODA 07x preamp so that each XLR input had the same volume level. I then played back the song on the RAAL SR1a to hear the same sound. Unfortunately, I did not hear the noise on either DACs. I am now thinking my floor stander has a damaged tweeter.

Interestingly, when using the SR1a Convolution filter, both DACs sounded the same and the Gustard's sound did not change when I adjusted the NOS/OS and GENTLE, VIVID, and COMPOSITE filter settings.

I then removed the SR1a Convolution filter from the DAC3B stream and kept it on the Gustard X26 Pro stream. I then played the GROUP streams and I heard the distortion like noise via the DAC3B, not the Gustard. I then tried the Gustard without the Sr1a Convolution filter using the VIVID and NOS mode (the most detailed sound). I could not hear the noise with the Gustard.

So my takeaways after listening to a bit more tunes:

1) My floor stander's tweeter is OK since I heard the same sound on the RAAL SR1a.
2) The Convolution filter will make a previously fatiguing DAC with the SR1a sound great (my Benchmark DAC3B)
3) On my RAAL SR1a, the Gustard X26 Pro sounds great already without the Convolution filter via my warm CODA 07x preamp. This was not the case with my super neutral Benchmark HPA4 preamp and the Gustard. The SR1a Convolution filter was needed.

Jun 24, 2021 at 8:43 PM Post #4,055 of 7,898
1) My floor stander's tweeter is OK since I heard the same sound on the RAAL SR1a.
2) The Convolution filter will make a previously fatiguing DAC with the SR1a sound great (my Benchmark DAC3B)
3) On my RAAL SR1a, the Gustard X26 Pro sounds great already without the Convolution filter via my warm CODA 07x preamp. This was not the case with my super neutral Benchmark HPA4 preamp and the Gustard. The SR1a Convolution filter was needed.
Nice job documenting your experiments and listing conclusions.
I will play Devil's advocate for perspective. If I was a Coda designer, I may claim the Coda is the "neutral" one, therefore the Benchmark "clinical."

Jun 24, 2021 at 8:52 PM Post #4,056 of 7,898
If all goes well, I should be joining the club soon! One of the guys in the forum is taking me up on my ZMF VO + topup trade. The VO is already out my door and am waiting for him to ship out the Raal.

Can I get an opinion, for those who have tried; between the hsa1b amplifier and convolution filters, which is going to make more of a difference?

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2021 at 9:32 PM Post #4,057 of 7,898
If all goes well, I should be joining the club soon! One of the guys in the forum is taking me up on my ZMF VO + topup trade. The VO is already out my door and am waiting for him to ship out the Raal.

Can I get an opinion, for those who have tried; between the hsa1b amplifier and convolution filters, which is going to make more of a difference?
I’m gonna go with the HSA-1b. A few people have mentioned not liking the filters. I can’t think of anyone who hasn’t liked the hsa-1b

I was just listening to the filter today out of my hsa-1b. It increases bass quantity and some impact. Nowhere near TC bass levels, but adequate. Thinking back, I feel like the hsa-1b was a good bit better than my previous JotR (it does costs more, to be fair)

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2021 at 9:54 PM Post #4,058 of 7,898

Given the difference in price between those ($4500 vs $250) I think it’s a bit funny to be choosing between them. If you’re ready to put in the ~$7000 it takes to have the SR1A and HSA1B, you might as well just get the $250 filters and call it “complete” :p

Jun 24, 2021 at 9:59 PM Post #4,059 of 7,898
Given the difference in price between those ($4500 vs $250) I think it’s a bit funny to be choosing between them. If you’re ready to put in the ~$7000 it takes to have the SR1A and HSA1B, you might as well just get the $250 filters and call it “complete” :p

Haha that's true.
Reason I asked is, after spending that chunk of cash on the SR1a (plus raal silver cable) , if I can get away with just the convolution filters, then that would be ideal. Hoping it would at least tide me over for a while, until the itch or fomo gets to me again...

Jun 24, 2021 at 10:52 PM Post #4,060 of 7,898
Haha that's true.
Reason I asked is, after spending that chunk of cash on the SR1a (plus raal silver cable) , if I can get away with just the convolution filters, then that would be ideal. Hoping it would at least tide me over for a while, until the itch or fomo gets to me again...
Agree with @Ciggavelli. I’d get the HSA-1b first then the filters second. The amp is great and I really like what the filters add, even though I no longer use them.

Besides speaker amps, the only other amp purpose built for the SR1a’s is the Jotr and the HSA-1b is significantly better in my opinion. It better be given the difference in price.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2021 at 11:48 PM Post #4,061 of 7,898
Has anyone had issues with ears getting “hot” after long listening sessions? Ribbon speakers tend to sound hot and was wondering if the issue is the same for these.

It can get hot at times, but typically only on offending tracks. Generally it's pretty smooth, but with poor recordings or songs with a large emphasis in the highs it definitely can be. But far less than other headphones, so I do agree with everyone else, not really an issue.

Jun 24, 2021 at 11:55 PM Post #4,062 of 7,898
@Ciggavelli and @littlej0e

Haha I hate and love u guys at the same time.. Looks like I have to work a bit harder and aim for the amp then..

Jun 25, 2021 at 4:37 AM Post #4,063 of 7,898
Witch cakes and incantations tell a different story!

Told. You. So.
What are the recommended RCA cables for the HSA1B and SR1a. Ironically there is another company called Requisite Audio that makes affordable RCA cables that were reviewed favorably at link below (either pure silver or silver /copper)) and wondered if you have tried them and which would be more synergistic with the SR1a?

https://audiobacon.net/2017/12/19/survey-audiophile-rca-interconnects-cables/

Perhaps, it’s just snake oil and impossible to tell the difference among RCA cables irrespective of cost and should use my funds on more music.

Jun 25, 2021 at 7:40 AM Post #4,064 of 7,898
What are the recommended RCA cables for the HSA1B and SR1a. Ironically there is another company called Requisite Audio that makes affordable RCA cables that were reviewed favorably at link below (either pure silver or silver /copper)) and wondered if you have tried them and which would be more synergistic with the SR1a?

https://audiobacon.net/2017/12/19/survey-audiophile-rca-interconnects-cables/

Perhaps, it’s just snake oil and impossible to tell the difference among RCA cables irrespective of cost and should use my funds on more music.
If there ever was a headphone to settle the question over whether you hear a difference in RCA cables in your system, this here is the one.

Jun 25, 2021 at 9:19 AM Post #4,065 of 7,898
I’m considering getting the SR1a to replace my Pass HPA-1 and Audeze LCD-4z combo.
However, I’m a bit concerned about the here-and-there mentions of thin sound. I really like the LCD-4z and its meaty mid and midbass, but I do realize there are better overall headphones/earspeakers.
The SR1a seems like the right candidate.

I plan to connect the SR1a to my CH pre-power combo, thus saving additional boxes/dedicated headphone amps.

Would love to hear thoughts and opinions regarding the “thin” sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back