RAAL 1995 headphones, Magna and Immanis
Apr 29, 2024 at 5:12 AM Post #1,441 of 1,832
I’m not sure why there’s a fixation with numbers; it either sounds good to you or it doesn’t. Don’t forget also the output level of the DAC. The Holo May for example is known to be hot and cannot be controlled other than by a passive attenuator or a pre-amp. Other DAC’s have a variable output control and can be ‘tuned’ to whatever amp you use, thus meaning different ‘numbers’.
Yup, makes sense, don't know if Dave has variable output, don't really care though I thought about getting a Dave at some point because of rave reviews but then came GoldenSound and said May is better than Dave and it sold the May to me because of lower price.

I'm definitely happy with the May and the Bliss though, also for build quality and lack of problems, it just works.

While I run my Caldera like I said previously around -30 mark on the Bliss, I think because of the sensitivity difference of the Immanis I'll be jumping to around -20 or -15 so I'll still have even more headroom, but that's an assumption, I also have Utopia which is more sensitive than the Caldera by 9dB IIRC but has more resistance, but I was running Utopia on about -35 or -40 but then Immanis is like 84dB sensitivity IIRC, but it will also be able to get more power by the interface making it 32 ohms, so no idea (Other than what you just said) how they got to -5 on the dial with theirs.

We'll just have to see

Apr 29, 2024 at 6:24 AM Post #1,442 of 1,832
So this happened today

1000020247.jpg

Now I just need more time to listen to both...

Apr 29, 2024 at 11:14 AM Post #1,443 of 1,832
Apr 29, 2024 at 1:54 PM Post #1,444 of 1,832
Bliss goes to +12 so there's 17 steps of headroom generally speaking, but the steps are not exactly linear.

Heh, you're right. I forgot about the two extra steps because I practically never go that high - I turn up my pre-amp instead.

But then again, it depends on recording as well, to me it seems we're dropping off the loudness wars because so much content now is much quieter and I have to crank it up more.

Yeah no kidding. I'd never go up to -5 on a modern pop recording, but I also listen to a ton of orchestral music, and that's where I usually have to do it.

I wish the loudness wars were actually over now. I'm still pretty mad that the latest high def digital release of The Beatles' Red and Blue albums was brickwalled to all hell.

Apr 29, 2024 at 2:07 PM Post #1,445 of 1,832
I’m not sure why there’s a fixation with numbers; it either sounds good to you or it doesn’t.

I don't think either of us are obsessed with the numbers. It's just a way to discuss headroom since there were some confusing remarks about that.

Sound quality is a different matter entirely.

Don’t forget also the output level of the DAC. The Holo May for example is known to be hot and cannot be controlled other than by a passive attenuator or a pre-amp.

This is the one major reason I haven't upgraded from my Spring 3 to a May yet. I don't want to also have to get a Serene with it.

Apr 29, 2024 at 2:08 PM Post #1,446 of 1,832
Anyway sorry to derail the conversation. I'm excited for moar Immanis impressions.

Apr 29, 2024 at 2:14 PM Post #1,447 of 1,832
Heh, you're right. I forgot about the two extra steps because I practically never go that high - I turn up my pre-amp instead.

Yeah no kidding. I'd never go up to -5 on a modern pop recording, but I also listen to a ton of orchestral music, and that's where I usually have to do it.

I wish the loudness wars were actually over now. I'm still pretty mad that the latest high def digital release of The Beatles' Red and Blue albums was brickwalled to all hell.

Turn up your pre-amp? You're using a pre-amp into the Bliss? I'm guessing based on your second reply it's the one from Spring 3?
Makes it louder?

I think we're discussing legit things, how we're gonna power our Immanis :p

Apr 29, 2024 at 2:18 PM Post #1,448 of 1,832
Turn up your pre-amp? You're using a pre-amp into the Bliss? I'm guessing based on your second reply it's the one from Spring 3?
Makes it louder?

I think we're discussing legit things, how we're gonna power our Immanis :p
Yeah, I have the Spring 3 KTE with the optional built-in pre-amp. It does help to squeeze some extra volume out of headphones like the Susvara or Tungsten. I believe that at 93 clicks, it's the same output level as the May, so it can go a tad higher.

I've seen some reviews complain that the Bliss isn't *quite* up to the task of driving those 'phones, but with that pre-amp I find it works just fine. Also means I'll be able to turn it down to protect the Immanis ribbons as Alex suggests.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2024 at 2:42 PM Post #1,449 of 1,832
Yeah, I have the Spring 3 KTE with the optional built-in pre-amp. It does help to squeeze some extra volume out of headphones like the Susvara or Tungsten. I believe that at 93 clicks, it's the same output level as the May, so it can go a tad higher.

I've seen some reviews complain that the Bliss isn't *quite* up to the task of driving those 'phones, but with that pre-amp I find it works just fine. Also means I'll be able to turn it down to protect the Immanis ribbons as Alex suggests.

Yeah, the biggest problem I find with Bliss is lack of gain, like I said before, I still have my Volot which has a ton of gain, might try to get a trade up to Mentor monoblocks for even more power on tap with still a ton of gain.

Can't wait to get my set (Immanis), will probably also have a demo at the local dealer around after Munich

Apr 29, 2024 at 2:47 PM Post #1,450 of 1,832
I don't think either of us are obsessed with the numbers. It's just a way to discuss headroom since there were some confusing remarks about that.

Sound quality is a different matter entirely.

This is the one major reason I haven't upgraded from my Spring 3 to a May yet. I don't want to also have to get a Serene with it.
You could think about a GoldPoint passive attenuator like GoldenSound used before he got his Serene.

Apr 29, 2024 at 2:49 PM Post #1,451 of 1,832
You could think about a GoldPoint passive attenuator like GoldenSound used before he got his Serene.
Oh yeah. I vaguely remember that review. I probably would go all Holo though, as a Holo fanboy.

Apr 29, 2024 at 2:54 PM Post #1,452 of 1,832
Can't wait to get my set (Immanis), will probably also have a demo at the local dealer around after Munich
Man, I'm jealous. I'm just hoping for a delivery estimate after Munich. I don't think I'll have a chance to audition it since I skipped CanJam NY this year. Ordered it blind after the Heidelberg hype, so at least I got in early.

Apr 29, 2024 at 3:00 PM Post #1,453 of 1,832
Oh yeah. I vaguely remember that review. I probably would go all Holo though, as a Holo fanboy.
I have the Holo Serene. I compared it to Danny's volume control (he may do a preamp) and the Serene sounded like crap in comparison. I am about to ship out my Benchmark LA4 today and I would love to ship out the Serene instead. However, the fact that the Serene can play the Immanis fairly well is what made me decide to keep it over the LA4. I have the HPA4 too.

So I now have better context on this Goldensound reviewer.

Apr 29, 2024 at 3:04 PM Post #1,454 of 1,832
I have the Holo Serene. I compared it to Danny's volume control (he may do a preamp) and the Serene sounded like crap in comparison. I am about to ship out my Benchmark LA4 today and I would love to ship out the Serene instead. However, the fact that the Serene can play the Immanis fairly well is what made me decide to keep it over the LA4. I have the HPA4 too.

So I now have better context on this Goldensound reviewer.
Wow! I read your impressions earlier in the thread and they didn't seems as hyperbolic as "crap in comparison." I'm in regular touch with Danny these days, so maybe I'll just wait for whatever he comes up with. I really would love to hear his "single speaker with no crossover that beats all other systems."

I really like GoldenSound - I broke bread with him in NY last year and he's the one who turned me on to Holo - but don't take his opinion as gospel on all things.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2024 at 3:05 PM Post #1,455 of 1,832
One thing to remember about most digital volume controls: When you use one to attenuate a full-scale signal, it reduces resolution of the signal. You might want to check the owner's manual before reducing the output of your DAC or other digital component.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back