RA-1 v. HPA-1
Oct 6, 2005 at 8:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

LFF

Co-Organizer for Can Jam '09
Member of the Trade: Paradox
I don't really know much about the vintage stuff. That being said, what do you guys think about these two great amps? Sound signature? Synergy?

Any impressions would be appreciated.

Oct 6, 2005 at 3:44 PM Post #2 of 10
Sonically, the two amps are very close to identical. However, in direct A/B comparison, the RA-1 has a bit more grain in the sound, while the HPA-1 is smooth.

Oct 7, 2005 at 12:27 AM Post #4 of 10
I recall hearing Hirsch's RA-1 and HPA-1 amplifiers. The HPA-1 was noticably smoother sounding than the RA-1. But just as important, the sound of both of these amplifiers is degraded when you use the external power supply. The quality of the sound improved when running on battery power.

Oct 7, 2005 at 1:25 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by mkmelt
I recall hearing Hirsch's RA-1 and HPA-1 amplifiers. The HPA-1 was noticably smoother sounding than the RA-1. But just as important, the sound of both of these amplifiers is degraded when you use the external power supply. The quality of the sound improved when running on battery power.

I agree with this. Also, the HPA-1 has a lower gain setting which makes using most Grados far more manageable in my opinion. Whenever I use the RA-1 with my CD player I have to use the cd player volume and lower it to 85% then use the RA-1, otherwise I can only get to barely 7 o'clock on the RA-1.

Oct 7, 2005 at 6:38 AM Post #6 of 10
Thanks for letting me know guys. I was very close to getting an RA-1 but based upon your comments I don't think I will.

Would you look at that????? Headfi is actually SAVING me money!

Oct 7, 2005 at 5:04 PM Post #7 of 10
The RA1 uses the alps volume controllers from radioshack. I experimented with these and they always had a gritty sound to them. ymmv
biggrin.gif

Oct 7, 2005 at 6:01 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by LFF
Thanks for letting me know guys. I was very close to getting an RA-1 but based upon your comments I don't think I will.

To put things in perspective, the HPA-1 sold for $800, with the power supply another $125 extra. The RA-1 sells for about $350. I used the RA-1 for a long time, and was very happy with it. Then the upgrade bug hit...and hit...and hit...
tongue.gif

Oct 7, 2005 at 6:08 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by LFF
Would you look at that????? Headfi is actually SAVING me money!

First time for everything.
confused.gif

Oct 9, 2005 at 11:07 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by joelongwood
According to John Grado, "the circuits are identical." He didn't say anything about parts or sonic differences.

Hmm. If you look at the pics here:
http://photo.head-fi.org/showgallery...03&ppuser=2709
like this one:
HPA-1_Inside_2.jpg

There are 4 caps. The RA-1 only has two. So maybe it is the same circuit, but different. Though I guess you can use 4 smaller caps instead of two larger ones.

Here are the 'innards' of the RA-1 that I found:

gradpic1.jpg

gradpic3.jpg

alps_pot.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back