R70X vs DT 1990 vs Edition XS for gaming?
Apr 8, 2023 at 7:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Cryodus

New Head-Fier
Hey guys! I'm fairly new here. For some context, I used the tygr 300r previously, after which I got a pair of 650s, which have been extremely pleasant to listen to.

I'm not looking for one more pair to compliment the 650s, primarily to use on FPS games, with good, clear and detailed bass. So far it seems the best option are the R70x, 1990 and XS, and I wanted to know what your opinions on these are, given the context?

Thank you!

Apr 8, 2023 at 8:42 PM Post #2 of 14
If this is mostly for casual gaming, my recommendation would be the 1990 of these.

They're a little heavy for some, so long sessions where you can't take a break from them might cause fatigue.

Still, lots of detail, very different than the 650, and a nice option to swap to for music.

Apr 8, 2023 at 8:44 PM Post #3 of 14
If this is mostly for casual gaming, my recommendation would be the 1990 of these.

They're a little heavy for some, so long sessions where you can't take a break from them might cause fatigue.

Still, lots of detail, very different than the 650, and a nice option to swap to for music.
Yeah i wouldn't say I'm a competitive player, but really looking towards good accuracy in detecting the location and position of footsteps and gun shots. Would you still stick with the 1990 in that case?

Apr 8, 2023 at 8:56 PM Post #5 of 14
Yeah i wouldn't say I'm a competitive player, but really looking towards good accuracy in detecting the location and position of footsteps and gun shots. Would you still stick with the 1990 in that case?
Yes, that's my vote. The 1990 can be sibilant, and it helps with picking up footsteps and gunshots. As long as you can get past the weight and clamp or they don't bother you. Try them from someplace you can return.

Apr 8, 2023 at 9:09 PM Post #7 of 14
One more thing. IF you end up getting and keeping the 1990, invest in a headband cover. It'll wear and crack eventually and it's hard to find a replacement for, or at least it used to be.

Apr 8, 2023 at 9:12 PM Post #8 of 14
Yes, that's my vote. The 1990 can be sibilant, and it helps with picking up footsteps and gunshots. As long as you can get past the weight and clamp or they don't bother you. Try them from someplace you can return.
I might order from thomann, they seem to have some good return policy.
One more thing. IF you end up getting and keeping the 1990, invest in a headband cover. It'll wear and crack eventually and it's hard to find a replacement for, or at least it used to be.
Oh I see, do you have any recommendations?

Apr 8, 2023 at 9:20 PM Post #9 of 14
I might order from thomann, they seem to have some good return policy.

Oh I see, do you have any recommendations?
See if you get it and like it first. I use the Geekria padded headbands from Amazon. No particular reason, they're cheapish and fit many headphones well. And the padding is removable via Velcro.

Apr 8, 2023 at 9:24 PM Post #10 of 14
The 1990 is a great choice! I would also recommend some of the AKG offerings, such as the 701, or 7xx, as they are very affordable comparatively and are VERY good for gaming. Another Beyer headphone to look at is the amiron home. I actually preferred that to the 1990, however that is totally subjective and they are both great for gaming.

Apr 8, 2023 at 9:47 PM Post #12 of 14
The 1990 is a great choice! I would also recommend some of the AKG offerings, such as the 701, or 7xx, as they are very affordable comparatively and are VERY good for gaming. Another Beyer headphone to look at is the amiron home. I actually preferred that to the 1990, however that is totally subjective and they are both great for gaming.
Ah I see, thank you! Based on a lot of stuff I'm hearing, I think dt 1990 is the way to go for an almost end-game level gaming headphone.

Apr 8, 2023 at 10:32 PM Post #13 of 14
Ah I see, thank you! Based on a lot of stuff I'm hearing, I think dt 1990 is the way to go for an almost end-game level gaming headphone.
I would say the sound quality of the 1990 is highest, with the sound placement of the akg being a bit more precise for first person shooters. If I were closing I'd be happy with any of them for gaming.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back