R5, a new Android DAP by Hiby
Mar 28, 2020 at 11:55 PM Post #1,921 of 4,421
Really ? Thats suck. Its the only streaming app that i use right now. Its very inconvenient witout those buttons.
I really want to return it, but I don't wanna risk my life. Because many covid-19 cases at my state now and they forced us to stay at home.
From what others have said, this is the case with other DAPs as well. I think there were a few that it worked on, but they seemed like an exception (but that's just my guess). I like Amazon music for the quality, but the software really is crappy compared to just about everything else I use.

anybody tried the 3.5mm with headphones like hd650 and LCD-2C? can they be run adequately on 3.5mm cause i dont have 4.4 for them
I don't have either of those, but the 3.5 isn't great with the 58x's, so I imagine it would be about the same. They're passable, but so much better from the balanced out.

Mar 29, 2020 at 8:02 AM Post #1,922 of 4,421
Hi, I've been using my R5 for a month now, but it has not been a smooth experience at first until I figured out some of the quirks of the player. Some of it might due to the nature of android itself and some might be on my part not doing enough research and not reaching out for others that might help troubleshoot some of my problems with the player. So far, I do not have much to complain about. Here are some of my problems that I encountered.
a. Random hiccup/stoppage on saved songs on my card. - Solved.
b. OTA update error. - Solved.
c. Hiby Music App not displaying all my library. It will suddenly stop scanning around 17000 files and needs to redo the scanning after it hangs. (library over 19000 files). - Still an issue for me. Other music player scans well though.
d. Built in equalizer on some players do not work. - Still an issue.
e. Screen sometimes turn black or blue for a second during web browsing using Via. - Under my investigation (currently using chrome)
f. MSEB equalizer fonts gets congested (letters on top of each other) when bigger fonts are selected. - This I can live with.
g. Library syncing through wifi - Solved.
How did your case ruin your screen protector?
Is it the Hiby one, or the Dignis?
My Dignis one has been pretty much perfect, with no issues so far.
How did you solve the random stoppages?

I have now signed up for Tidal again, and I haven't noted the stops that I've been getting in Spotify, but it's early days yet as I haven't had much time to listen to lots of tracks in a row.
Sound quality with Tidal is just fantastic, really happy with that.
I've been trying out MQA tracks, and while they sound amazing there's not exactly a vast selection of the kind of stuff I like.

It's a shame that Amazon seems to have the non functioning button issue on so many devices. It's definitely handy to have physical buttons. This is something that was completely absent on my last player, and I do appreciate them on my R5 (at least they work fine on Spotify and Tidal).

I have also ordered another sd card to see if that solves the random stoppages issue (current one is Samsung-U3, one coming is Sandisk-U1).

Mar 29, 2020 at 10:24 PM Post #1,923 of 4,421
How did your case ruin your screen protector?
Is it the Hiby one, or the Dignis?
My Dignis one has been pretty much perfect, with no issues so far.
How did you solve the random stoppages?

I have now signed up for Tidal again, and I haven't noted the stops that I've been getting in Spotify, but it's early days yet as I haven't had much time to listen to lots of tracks in a row.
Sound quality with Tidal is just fantastic, really happy with that.
I've been trying out MQA tracks, and while they sound amazing there's not exactly a vast selection of the kind of stuff I like.

It's a shame that Amazon seems to have the non functioning button issue on so many devices. It's definitely handy to have physical buttons. This is something that was completely absent on my last player, and I do appreciate them on my R5 (at least they work fine on Spotify and Tidal).

I have also ordered another sd card to see if that solves the random stoppages issue (current one is Samsung-U3, one coming is Sandisk-U1).
I'm not having issues with streaming (spotify). No idea on other streaming app. I encountered some hiccup playing some tracks saved on my sd card. I finally narrowed down to just replacing the sd card with A1 certification. I have 256Gb class10 U3 card previously that don't have that and that seems to be the culprit. Gives random stoppage during playing offline files.

Mar 30, 2020 at 9:11 AM Post #1,924 of 4,421
I'm not having issues with streaming (spotify). No idea on other streaming app. I encountered some hiccup playing some tracks saved on my sd card. I finally narrowed down to just replacing the sd card with A1 certification. I have 256Gb class10 U3 card previously that don't have that and that seems to be the culprit. Gives random stoppage during playing offline files.
OK, that's interesting as my card is also a 256GB U3.
It's a Samsung EVO plus, is that what you have been having issues with too?
And just to clarify, when you say "some tracks that I saved to my sd card" you are referring to Spotify content that you've saved offline, yeah?

I have ordered a SanDisk U1 rated 256GB card to see if that helps, but God knows when that'll get here given the current flumageddon.
(I confess that I don't know what an "A1" certification is)

I've recently returned to TIDAL thanks to the current £4 for 4 months offer, and although it's early days I haven't had any unexplained stoppages while listening to offline content (yet).
I have set everything to max quality in both Spotify and Tidal BTW, and even Tidal masters are playing without issue.

Tidal sounds fantastic, especially MQA, but of my main 3600 track Spotify playlist I lost around 450 tracks when I moved it to Tidal, so the catalogue is smaller, and the app doesn't work quite as well as Spotify (scrolling quickly through albums and playlists leads to very laggy album art updating requiring long pauses to let the images catch up and settle down).

I am enjoying my R5 enormously whether listening to Spotify or Tidal (Tidal does sound a bit better, just as it did on my last DAP) But I'd be content with the quality Spotify offers if it just would quit the random stops.
I'm also going to give Amazon Music a try if the 30 day free trial applies to HD music, but if the hardware buttons won't work then that puts me off quite a lot.
I also wonder just how much of 'my' music will feature on Amazon as I imagine the catalogue is smaller than Spotifys.

Mar 30, 2020 at 11:47 AM Post #1,928 of 4,421
Well, at least Tidal has bigger library than spotify, I believe Amazon might as well. Guess it really depends on what kind of music you listen to.
Really?
The 3660~ track playlist that I moved from Spotify to Tidal lost @450 tracks in the process. The list is made up of ALL the genre's I listen to, which I would describe as wildly eclectic with the notable exceptions of : classical, jazz and k/j-pop, which I have almost none of.
I keep reading different claims re' library sizes, who currently claims the largest, Tidal?

Mar 30, 2020 at 12:20 PM Post #1,929 of 4,421
Really?
The 3660~ track playlist that I moved from Spotify to Tidal lost @450 tracks in the process. The list is made up of ALL the genre's I listen to, which I would describe as wildly eclectic with the notable exceptions of : classical, jazz and k/j-pop, which I have almost none of.
I keep reading different claims re' library sizes, who currently claims the largest, Tidal?
Tidal claims 60+ mil songs, guess that's currently largest. Who knows:smile_phones: Could some tracks be lost in the process due to the tool simply not finding exactly same release/version of certain songs? Perhaps some could also be platform exclusive, dunno if spotify has that.

Mar 30, 2020 at 4:56 PM Post #1,932 of 4,421
I'm taking receipt of a new R5 today and was wondering if there is a repository of information relative to "start-up" and "update sequencing" that someone can point me to? I'd like to get this right from the beginning and thought with all of the information in this thread, someone might know where a concise list might resid

Mar 30, 2020 at 6:52 PM Post #1,933 of 4,421
I'm taking receipt of a new R5 today and was wondering if there is a repository of information relative to "start-up" and "update sequencing" that someone can point me to? I'd like to get this right from the beginning and thought with all of the information in this thread, someone might know where a concise list might resid
All I did was to connect to my wifi, then go to:
Settings
System
Wireless update
Check for updates
Update

When update is complete, repeat process until no more updates are available.

That's all that's required really, apart from adding an SD card to the slot and specifying where you'd prefer your content to be stored.

Mar 30, 2020 at 8:19 PM Post #1,934 of 4,421
All I did was to connect to my wifi, then go to:
Settings
System
Wireless update
Check for updates
Update

When update is complete, repeat process until no more updates are available.

That's all that's required really, apart from adding an SD card to the slot and specifying where you'd prefer your content to be stored.
Thanks much! I appreciate the device. Was really just able to sit down and take a look. Hopefully the update will go ok and all will be fine. My expectations for improved performance is up there, I hope I'm not disappointed!

Mar 30, 2020 at 10:18 PM Post #1,935 of 4,421
My r5 can play amazon music offline songs now after I did a factory reset. But today I just found another bug. The playback buttons on the side stopped working with amazon music. I test with Hiby Music app, they worked well. But when I closed hiby app, opened the amazon music app and tried to use playback buttons on the side, hiby app will appear and those buttons would work with hiby app, not amazon music app. I recorded a clip and you will see what im saying. And btw don't buy the leather case, it will ruin your screen protector.

Thanks for your advice about the leather case!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back