R5, a new Android DAP by Hiby
Mar 5, 2020 at 10:15 PM Post #1,772 of 4,421
What does the R6 pro have that at the r 5 doesn't

Mar 6, 2020 at 9:31 AM Post #1,775 of 4,421
Sorry for the confusion. Yes, the R3 Pro is a much smaller/lighter player than the R5. In many cases I prefer the larger player since "portability" isn't a huge concern for me since the player gets tossed into my bag and basically never into my pocket.

And as much as I love the R3 Pro and it's streamlined OS, the siren song of full Android is calling to me.

Mar 6, 2020 at 10:12 AM Post #1,776 of 4,421
Sorry for the confusion. Yes, the R3 Pro is a much smaller/lighter player than the R5. In many cases I prefer the larger player since "portability" isn't a huge concern for me since the player gets tossed into my bag and basically never into my pocket.

And as much as I love the R3 Pro and it's streamlined OS, the siren song of full Android is calling to me.
I have the regular R3 and the R5, and you should go for it. Having other (way better) options than HiBy Music and streaming services that you can download from like Amazon and Apple Music, combined with system-wide MSEB, make it a killer DAP.

Mar 6, 2020 at 11:21 AM Post #1,777 of 4,421
Thanks for the information. I think I'm just holding off to find the right used one at which point I can sell my R3 Pro.

What can I say, I'm cheap and have way too many expensive hobbies right now...

Mar 6, 2020 at 1:29 PM Post #1,778 of 4,421
Thanks for the information. I think I'm just holding off to find the right used one at which point I can sell my R3 Pro.

What can I say, I'm cheap and have way too many expensive hobbies right now...
Having full Android and it’s great for the car . I use Android Auto and play Tidal offline, Radio Paradise offline , etc . I will never buy another DAP without Google Play Store and full Android . It’s just too convenient.

Mar 6, 2020 at 8:19 PM Post #1,779 of 4,421
Hi all, just bought the R5. In terms of settings:

In settings there are a few selections:

low-pass filter - what is this?
gain - what would yield the best sound, or is this just set to high for hard to drive headphones?
DSD gain - if i have no DSD files do i need to worry about this?
balanced output and common output - do i need to worry about these if i am not using the R5 as a dac?

and within the hiby app:

judging by all the posts here i should turn on MSEB right? if i set that do i also need to set the equalizer, or is it one or the other. there are a lot of settings in MSEB, i thought it was an on/off thing, i guess i need to play around a bit.

there is a lot in the settings, anything else i should play with? for now i am using flac files, nothing crazy, and will stream spotify.

thanks

Mar 7, 2020 at 4:45 AM Post #1,780 of 4,421
Hi all, just bought the R5. In terms of settings:

In settings there are a few selections:

low-pass filter - what is this?
gain - what would yield the best sound, or is this just set to high for hard to drive headphones?
DSD gain - if i have no DSD files do i need to worry about this?
balanced output and common output - do i need to worry about these if i am not using the R5 as a dac?

and within the hiby app:

judging by all the posts here i should turn on MSEB right? if i set that do i also need to set the equalizer, or is it one or the other. there are a lot of settings in MSEB, i thought it was an on/off thing, i guess i need to play around a bit.

there is a lot in the settings, anything else i should play with? for now i am using flac files, nothing crazy, and will stream spotify.

thanks
You only need mseb if you want to tweak the sound a bit. You can leave it off quite happily if you want.

Mar 7, 2020 at 6:22 AM Post #1,781 of 4,421
Hi all, this may be answered, if so please apologize.
I am using my R5 paired with Mojo and Mr Speakers Ether Flow Open and it is really a nice setup.
In other way, when I walk during nights I plug my old Etymotic ER4PT to unbalanced 3.5mm and it is ok, but I am considering new IEMs but pulgged to 4.4mm balanced.

Which ones do pair well with R5?
If possible under 200€ but willing to pay something more if worth.

Thanks a lot

Mar 7, 2020 at 1:14 PM Post #1,782 of 4,421
Hi all, this may be answered, if so please apologize.
I am using my R5 paired with Mojo and Mr Speakers Ether Flow Open and it is really a nice setup.
In other way, when I walk during nights I plug my old Etymotic ER4PT to unbalanced 3.5mm and it is ok, but I am considering new IEMs but pulgged to 4.4mm balanced.

Which ones do pair well with R5?
If possible under 200€ but willing to pay something more if worth.

Thanks a lot
I love my Tin P1s on the 4.4mm balanced output. I've never seen IEMs that scale so well depending on the source. It seems the way they are tuned is a love it or hate it affair though.

Mar 7, 2020 at 7:04 PM Post #1,783 of 4,421
I'm having two strange issues with my R5. The first is minor, I've noticed the screen occasionally goes black for a second or two. It seems to happen randomly and nothing else is obviously impacted, audio isn't interrupted.
The second seems like a bigger deal, the wifi connection randomly quits working. The connection appears to be fine and isn't actually being dropped, and other devices on the network continue to work so it's definitely just the R5 with the issue. The R5s wifi works again only if you disable and reenable it, or reboot the device.
I'm running the newest firmware and everything the Play store can update is updated.

Mar 7, 2020 at 7:24 PM Post #1,784 of 4,421
I'm having two strange issues with my R5. The first is minor, I've noticed the screen occasionally goes black for a second or two. It seems to happen randomly and nothing else is obviously impacted, audio isn't interrupted.
The second seems like a bigger deal, the wifi connection randomly quits working. The connection appears to be fine and isn't actually being dropped, and other devices on the network continue to work so it's definitely just the R5 with the issue. The R5s wifi works again only if you disable and reenable it, or reboot the device.
I'm running the newest firmware and everything the Play store can update is updated.
wifi running 2.4 or 5ghz? proximity to router? i havent got this issue on the newsest firmware, was happening on older one, try checking update again, cause the update is step by step updating and not one jump to the latest firmware, so after one update you need to go in and update again

Mar 7, 2020 at 7:30 PM Post #1,785 of 4,421
wifi running 2.4 or 5ghz? proximity to router? i havent got this issue on the newsest firmware, was happening on older one, try checking update again, cause the update is step by step updating and not one jump to the latest firmware, so after one update you need to go in and update again

5ghz, less than 10 feet from the router with excellent signal strength. My R5 says it has build 1.7g and no new firmware is available when I click update.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back