R5, a new Android DAP by Hiby
Jan 29, 2020 at 8:23 PM Post #1,638 of 4,421
Here's my update on the R5 after several months of use as my primary player. Still very satisfied with my purchase.

Jan 30, 2020 at 12:28 AM Post #1,639 of 4,421
Here's my update on the R5 after several months of use as my primary player. Still very satisfied with my purchase.

Thank you for this. Good insights are shared.

The two units that I currently focus on are in fact the R5 and the Cayin N5II.

I have developed two usage scenarios and each machine is used for those scenarios. For day to day use in the car the R5 is my choice. I really like the availability of Amazon HD. Yes, Amazon HD is not perfect but its good enough. I like jam bands and the depth of the Phish and Grateful Dead catalog is great. Plus I like listening to a wide variety of jazz.

At night I like to play mellow music before and during sleep. Here the smooth sound of the Cayin and its easy to use volume knob comes in handy.

I still have two other DAPs that I like and are reliablle but don’t fit in with what I am doing right now. Still deciding on the fate of the Shanling M2S and M0.

Jan 30, 2020 at 9:33 AM Post #1,640 of 4,421

Great review man, many thanks!

I recently ordered the R5, and I'm trying to choose a new iem to go with it.
So far the front runners are the Shuoer Tape and the Tin P1.
I was hoping the power of the R5 would provide the bass authority that I like (across genres, but especially with the likes of EDM and hip-hop).
The Tape seems like a good choice for bass, but the reports of mids being slightly disappointing, and the shouty peak led me to also consider the Tin P1.
The P1 reads as a great 'phone, but the absence of good propulsive, commanding bass puts me off.

Your comments re' the EQ of the R5 introducing distortion make me think that despite the amp power available from the R5, that EQing the sub bass up to borderline bass-head levels might not be satisfactory (I'm not usually an EQ lover, but heard good things re' MSEB elsewhere).

Any thoughts on these options?
Or are there other Iem's you'd recommend to go with the R5 for a borderline basshead who also loves voices, mid clarity and freedom from sibilance?

Jan 30, 2020 at 11:49 AM Post #1,641 of 4,421

I was hoping the power of the R5 would provide the bass authority that I like (across genres, but especially with the likes of EDM and hip-hop).
The Tape seems like a good choice for bass, but the reports of mids being slightly disappointing, and the shouty peak led me to also consider the Tin P1.
The P1 reads as a great 'phone, but the absence of good propulsive, commanding bass puts me off.

Your comments re' the EQ of the R5 introducing distortion make me think that despite the amp power available from the R5, that EQing the sub bass up to borderline bass-head levels might not be satisfactory (I'm not usually an EQ lover, but heard good things re' MSEB elsewhere).

Or are there other Iem's you'd recommend to go with the R5 for a borderline basshead who also loves voices, mid clarity and freedom from sibilance?
Based on this review, I ordered them and they sound stunning from my R5:

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/ns-audio-ns5-mkii-extra-bass.24118/reviews

Jan 30, 2020 at 12:26 PM Post #1,642 of 4,421

If you already have a few IEMs in your collection, the Tapes are a really interesting addition, and you may want to check out the new $75 Shuoer Singer.
For overall enjoyment I've heard really positive things about the ISN H40, although I have yet to get my hands on a set.
As for the Tin P1, I have a -really- long review up on my channel, but I doubt the sub-bass performance will satisfy you. I run mine on the ifi xCAN and use its analog bass boost to fill out the low-end.

Jan 30, 2020 at 1:21 PM Post #1,643 of 4,421
Based on this review, I ordered them and they sound stunning from my R5:

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/ns-audio-ns5-mkii-extra-bass.24118/reviews
Interesting review, reminds me of my old Denon AH D2000's, which I do really enjoy.
I like that they have a reasonably sized metal shell.
There's several metal body iem's that intrigue me ATM, and I like planar and hybrid 'phones, so as well as the Tapes and P1's another that appeals is the TRI I3 (maybe big though).
Never heard of the NS5 mkII, added to my 'research' list, thanks!

If you already have a few IEMs in your collection, the Tapes are a really interesting addition, and you may want to check out the new $75 Shuoer Singer.
For overall enjoyment I've heard really positive things about the ISN H40, although I have yet to get my hands on a set.
As for the Tin P1, I have a -really- long review up on my channel, but I doubt the sub-bass performance will satisfy you. I run mine on the ifi xCAN and use its analog bass boost to fill out the low-end.

Yeah I saw your excellent P1 review, which led me to suspect that the bass might leave me wanting despite the rest of the spectrum reading as very good. I think I'll knock them off the shortlist. It's a shame the R5 EQ isn't up to the job of fixing the P1, but maybe I'm better off looking for an option that I don't think will need EQ anyway.
The ISN H40 also reads like a fantastic iem, definitely in contention and I'm keeping an eye on the thread.
I don't really have much of an IEM collection, and the only ones I use anymore are my old custom re-shelled TF10's (they have an added DD) which I'm hoping to improve upon with one of these precocious new chi-fi cheapo's.

Have you heard the TRI I3's?
They look quite big, but reports so far are very good, and the driver combo' really (for no good reason) appeals (planar/DD/BA).

Another that had my nose twitching is the TFZ 03, but the titanium body version is ~$300 and somewhat outside my budget, which is a shame as I really like the idea of a Ti shell.

The Dunu DM 480 sounds like an intriguing bass 'phone, but at $69 probably won't beat my customs by a significant enough margin, but maybe that's just my $$$ prejudice talking, who knows.

Tapes are still in the lead for me I think, or maybe the H40's, despite having a plastic shell/plate rather than a metal one.

Jan 30, 2020 at 4:05 PM Post #1,644 of 4,421
Does anyone else have this issue? When streaming from Tidal and the screen is off the next track in the playlist queue will not play.

Jan 30, 2020 at 5:39 PM Post #1,646 of 4,421
Does anyone else have this issue? When streaming from Tidal and the screen is off the next track in the playlist queue will not play.
That's a peoblem tidal has with Android players. Got that on my phone also. It started with an update, but as I switched to Amazon music HD, I so not know if a future update or the app fixed it..
It seems it did not..

Jan 30, 2020 at 10:16 PM Post #1,647 of 4,421
I have the R5 and the P1s and on high output/balanced the R5 can drive them to painfully loud levels. I have used MSEB and regular EQ as well and I've never heard distortion when boosting the low frequencies. The BGVP DMG aren't hard to drive, sound good and have 3 nozzles, one of which enhances bass.

Jan 30, 2020 at 10:42 PM Post #1,648 of 4,421
I have the R5 and the P1s and on high output/balanced the R5 can drive them to painfully loud levels. I have used MSEB and regular EQ as well and I've never heard distortion when boosting the low frequencies. The BGVP DMG aren't hard to drive, sound good and have 3 nozzles, one of which enhances bass.
Lots to like about the DMG that's for sure. And I see a couple on e-bay too.

I wonder when/if we'll hear more about the Tape II?

Jan 31, 2020 at 1:17 AM Post #1,649 of 4,421
Can anyone tell me why the now playing screen always shows music files to be 48 khz on all files that are 44khz? I've looked through the settings and can't find a setting that is off or anything. These are just flies playing randomly from the sd card. Any ideas?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back