R5, a new Android DAP by Hiby
Jan 24, 2020 at 5:26 PM Post #1,621 of 4,421
Random wondering.....

Is this a way to compress DSF (or other format) SACD DSD music files? And of course I would want to play those re-compressed files play back as DSD on the R5.

Basically, with some SACD rips I am fine just playing the ISO file. But sometimes the original file has both 2.0 and 51 material; so extracting just the 2.0 layer makes sense, Especially if you want to skip some tracks. But sometimes the 2.0 file when extracted, uncompressed, is bigger than the original ISO file. Which kind of defeats the purpose.

Jan 24, 2020 at 11:07 PM Post #1,623 of 4,421
I think the chance to get answer is very small, but I notice some folks here have both R5 and DX160 thus I'll ask... Can tinkering MSEB on Hiby R5 make it sound like DX160? They use very similar components that I think the difference mostly on the software processing only..?

Maybe it's just my ear is not sensitive enough.. Or my phones are not transparent enough... I use Hiby player on my LG V20.. But I don't hear much sound differences when I tried tweaking with MSEB..

Hope that my question does not derail from the forum topic..

Jan 25, 2020 at 12:00 AM Post #1,624 of 4,421
With regard to MSEB, first and foremost be sure you are on the latest firmware. That makes MSEB available to all playback programs not just the HIBy app. Remember, firmware updates on this unit are not a one and done situation. After each update, check for more updates until nothing comes back.

Now I am normally not an equalizer person. But this unit comes with a neutral tuning and EQ or MSEB (which is EQ but done differently) is pretty much required. Fortunately MSEB is really cool and with small tweaks you can have the unit sound like what you want. So I bet you can make it sound like a 160 or what have you.

I have been thinking about what makes portable players sound good. Some DAC components have a great sound of their own and the surrounding electronics and firmware does matter.

The R5 is an outlier in sound profile for me compared with my other units which are mainly on the warm side. But with the MSEB set for a bit of warmth is gets closer to the sound of the other units.

I am getting bettter at dealing with Amazon HD and that is making me happy with the R5.

Jan 25, 2020 at 1:13 AM Post #1,625 of 4,421
Is the new price point permanent, or a sale?

Jan 25, 2020 at 3:27 AM Post #1,627 of 4,421
With regard to MSEB, first and foremost be sure you are on the latest firmware. That makes MSEB available to all playback programs not just the HIBy app. Remember, firmware updates on this unit are not a one and done situation. After each update, check for more updates until nothing comes back.

Now I am normally not an equalizer person. But this unit comes with a neutral tuning and EQ or MSEB (which is EQ but done differently) is pretty much required. Fortunately MSEB is really cool and with small tweaks you can have the unit sound like what you want. So I bet you can make it sound like a 160 or what have you.

I have been thinking about what makes portable players sound good. Some DAC components have a great sound of their own and the surrounding electronics and firmware does matter.

The R5 is an outlier in sound profile for me compared with my other units which are mainly on the warm side. But with the MSEB set for a bit of warmth is gets closer to the sound of the other units.

I am getting bettter at dealing with Amazon HD and that is making me happy with the R5.

Thanks for your feedback

Jan 25, 2020 at 6:08 AM Post #1,628 of 4,421
i am having a number of problems with my R5 and i am close to returning it. The sound is excellent but i am not very encourages by all the problems. Just wanted to post of here in case anyone has had similar problems. I will list them:

1) Amazon Music won't play 8 times out of 10. Doesn't matter whether it's streaming or music i have downloaded. Have to restart and then they play. Just to say that this happens even when i power up the unit and it's the first thing i try and play

2) sometimes when i start the unit Spotify plays automatically. Can't work out why this happens.
3) when i am playing Amazon music and i press pause on my wireless headphones Spotify starts to play
4) issues putting music on the unit. When using Android file transfer from my mac the connection is lost all the time and then the transfer aborts. Some songs won't transfer as it says the file has a problem. The same songs transfer fine when using the wifi transfer feature but when i use that i can't change the folder to transfer to my SD card.
5) bluetooth connection. Using the same headphones that work perfectly with my iphone (whether holding the phone in my hand or my pocket) i constantly have breakups in the sound when using the R5. I can't even walk with it. I have to hold the unit in a top pocket or literally hold my hand up higher. I think this is an awful issue to be honest

Appreciate if anyone can help with these. I have reported to Hiby and they were helping but even before Chinese new year they were silent. Now we are in the middle of chinese new year they are not working at all!

Regards
Chris

Jan 25, 2020 at 6:29 AM Post #1,629 of 4,421
i am having a number of problems with my R5 and i am close to returning it. The sound is excellent but i am not very encourages by all the problems. Just wanted to post of here in case anyone has had similar problems. I will list them:

1) Amazon Music won't play 8 times out of 10. Doesn't matter whether it's streaming or music i have downloaded. Have to restart and then they play. Just to say that this happens even when i power up the unit and it's the first thing i try and play

2) sometimes when i start the unit Spotify plays automatically. Can't work out why this happens.
3) when i am playing Amazon music and i press pause on my wireless headphones Spotify starts to play
4) issues putting music on the unit. When using Android file transfer from my mac the connection is lost all the time and then the transfer aborts. Some songs won't transfer as it says the file has a problem. The same songs transfer fine when using the wifi transfer feature but when i use that i can't change the folder to transfer to my SD card.
5) bluetooth connection. Using the same headphones that work perfectly with my iphone (whether holding the phone in my hand or my pocket) i constantly have breakups in the sound when using the R5. I can't even walk with it. I have to hold the unit in a top pocket or literally hold my hand up higher. I think this is an awful issue to be honest

Appreciate if anyone can help with these. I have reported to Hiby and they were helping but even before Chinese new year they were silent. Now we are in the middle of chinese new year they are not working at all!

Regards
Chris

Hey, bad to hear you have issues with the R5.
I have had mine returned also, but for other stuff and hiby helped me out very quick and extremely friendly. So I would assume they are in a stressful situation currently,abd Chinese new year will add up in silence as Noone is working then.
Unfortunately l, or luckily for me, I have not had these issues as you have, except from the Bluetooth connection.
That one was the same on 2 devices I had. I suppose the Bluetooth is just a bit underpowered. I also had to keep it in a 15cm range to the phone it was fed from.

I did not find a solution for that but I always wanted the phone to be the bad guy here.. But this occurs with different types of devices playing to the R5.

I know from a friend that his is great so.. I am not sure if this is a general or a bad devices issue

Jan 25, 2020 at 6:51 AM Post #1,630 of 4,421
Hey, bad to hear you have issues with the R5.
I have had mine returned also, but for other stuff and hiby helped me out very quick and extremely friendly. So I would assume they are in a stressful situation currently,abd Chinese new year will add up in silence as Noone is working then.
Unfortunately l, or luckily for me, I have not had these issues as you have, except from the Bluetooth connection.
That one was the same on 2 devices I had. I suppose the Bluetooth is just a bit underpowered. I also had to keep it in a 15cm range to the phone it was fed from.

I did not find a solution for that but I always wanted the phone to be the bad guy here.. But this occurs with different types of devices playing to the R5.

I know from a friend that his is great so.. I am not sure if this is a general or a bad devices issue

Interesting.. So did you end up not keeping the R5 or you mean they sent you a new one when you returned it? I also think it might be an underpowered antenna but told me it's a software issue and said they were working on it but that's when they went silent (Chinese New Year was approaching).

Jan 25, 2020 at 7:58 AM Post #1,631 of 4,421
Interesting.. So did you end up not keeping the R5 or you mean they sent you a new one when you returned it? I also think it might be an underpowered antenna but told me it's a software issue and said they were working on it but that's when they went silent (Chinese New Year was approaching).
Yes It was replaced.
Software is possible also, I had issues with my Bluetooth headphones and a galaxy s8. After a firmware upgrade of the headphones everything was smooth.

Jan 25, 2020 at 12:47 PM Post #1,632 of 4,421

I appreciate you putting that updates are not one and done. I purchased the R5 a few weeks ago and did one update and thought all was updated. This morning I needed to do three more updates in a row.

Jan 25, 2020 at 1:41 PM Post #1,633 of 4,421
Yeah, I experience that too. I think that's an issue having to do with device compatibility - possibly HiBy modified some system library which has random behaviour with Amazon Music. That's a wild guess though, I have no idea what changes HiBy made under hood.
That's a known issue with Android and macOS. Just take the microSD out of the device and transfer files that way. Alas that's due to macOS not implementing the necessary drivers to transfer files from and to Android devices - it's their way to spite Google, though Android users are caught in the crossfire of course.

Jan 25, 2020 at 7:15 PM Post #1,634 of 4,421

Regards
Chris

1) If Amazon music is behaving really strangely, you may need to blow the downloads away and start over. I had to do that. The second time was the charm.

2) Related overservation: I do notice a conflict between HiBy trying to play FLAC files etc. vs. Amazon. It does appear that the system priority is HiBy music. I typically just close down that app until needed.

3) I do wonder if the Wifi subsystems will be upgraded over time. I do sometimes have problems downloading Amazon music files. My fix is often to reboot the machine.

Jan 25, 2020 at 7:38 PM Post #1,635 of 4,421
Well, I pulled the trigger on one. First DAP, but I think should do nicely for my portable needs. After recently picking up the Abyss my audio fund nearly cleared out, however enough remaining for the R5 at the reduced cost. Was looking at the M15 possibly, however its output impedances mean it won't play nicely with my Sonorous VI and for the time being I don't feel particularly inclined to chase the dragon in the closed headphone realm so I'll just continue to enjoy the VI (imagine being satisfied with what you have, I had better turn in my audiophile card now).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back