R5, a new Android DAP by Hiby
Jan 23, 2020 at 3:46 AM Post #1,607 of 4,421
Hi all, would the R5 be significantly better that the LG G8 with it's quad dac?

I use a Shanling M2S and will be getting the LG. Wondering about the R5 given the great price now.

Thanks.
Hey you.
From my perspective it is way better, if you want to drive bigger headphones.
I use it with some beyerdynamics 80 and 250 Ohms. There the LG won't be able to drive them properly.
For sensitive in ears I really was impressed by the LG sound quality, a bit thinner than the R5, but it would not be worth buying an extra device for that, from my opinion..

Well... Said by a person who bought 2x R5 because of a slightly better SQ compared to a previous player

Jan 23, 2020 at 6:41 AM Post #1,608 of 4,421
Hi all, would the R5 be significantly better that the LG G8 with it's quad dac?

I use a Shanling M2S and will be getting the LG. Wondering about the R5 given the great price now.

Thanks.

i don't have the LG but for me I hear very little difference in sound between my R5 and Fiio X3 MKiii. compared to my S10+, the R5 has better, deeper and more controlled bass and slightly smoother highs and mids but otherwise the sound is very similar. In a blind test i may mot even be able to tell the X3 and R5 apart and i doubt anyone else could.

the UI on the R5 is lightyears better than the X3 though.

Jan 23, 2020 at 8:49 AM Post #1,609 of 4,421
Hey you.
From my perspective it is way better, if you want to drive bigger headphones.
I use it with some beyerdynamics 80 and 250 Ohms. There the LG won't be able to drive them properly.
For sensitive in ears I really was impressed by the LG sound quality, a bit thinner than the R5, but it would not be worth buying an extra device for that, from my opinion..

Well... Said by a person who bought 2x R5 because of a slightly better SQ compared to a previous player

Thank you very much! I normally use some simgot in ears, but those are for walking around. I was thinking of getting something better for in-house listening, as I have historically not had much success in choosing music to play on the stereo when my wife and daughter are around.

So you have beyer DT 770 PRO 80 and the DT 250? Which would you recommend with an R5? Sounds like I should invest in some closed back cans if I am to invest in an R5.

Jan 23, 2020 at 8:51 AM Post #1,610 of 4,421
i don't have the LG but for me I hear very little difference in sound between my R5 and Fiio X3 MKiii. compared to my S10+, the R5 has better, deeper and more controlled bass and slightly smoother highs and mids but otherwise the sound is very similar. In a blind test i may mot even be able to tell the X3 and R5 apart and i doubt anyone else could.

the UI on the R5 is lightyears better than the X3 though.

Thanks for the feedback. Judging by a previous reply it sounds like power output and the type of cans you want to drive should play into my decision.

Jan 23, 2020 at 9:05 AM Post #1,611 of 4,421
i had another listen and the R5 does have more mid bass presence than the X3 which also makes the mids in the R5 sound a little further back. guitars have more bite with the x3 but only if you listen to each back to back. if you give me one today and another one tomorrow i probably could not tell them apart.

Jan 23, 2020 at 9:19 AM Post #1,612 of 4,421
Thank you very much! I normally use some simgot in ears, but those are for walking around. I was thinking of getting something better for in-house listening, as I have historically not had much success in choosing music to play on the stereo when my wife and daughter are around.

So you have beyer DT 770 PRO 80 and the DT 250? Which would you recommend with an R5? Sounds like I should invest in some closed back cans if I am to invest in an R5.

I use dt770 80 Ohms and dt770 250Ohms.
If I should recommend one, use the Dt770 80s

Jan 23, 2020 at 10:49 AM Post #1,613 of 4,421
Hi everyone. (sorry for my English) I'm new in the world of Hi Res. Ordered Hiby R5 from official site (just waiting the end of Chinese Happy New Year)). It will be my first hi res device.
But also I need to buy the IEM. I will be very glad to hear your advices - which one to choose? Actually, I don't quite understand what is needed. And now I'm not ready to spend a lot of money.
Let's say what should I choose for R5 for 200-300 $? Or for this amount of money nothing is suitable, and I should spend more ?

Thanks in advance.

Jan 23, 2020 at 11:44 AM Post #1,615 of 4,421
Would you recommend the 80 ohms over the 32 Ohms? Or would the added versatility of being able to use 32s with a less powerful device like a phone or laptop be outweighed by a loss of SQ or something else when compared to the 80 Ohms?
Depending on the phone you have the 80 ohms are also fine for mobile phones. I used it with galaxy s8, note 9 and huawei mate 20 pro.

To be honest there is no big difference between 32 and 80 with phones and r5.
You might experience a slight hiss when driving the 80s with a low power mobile phone output.

So in short,
If you want to use the headphones with laptop, mobile phone and r5.. The 32 are good. And SQ is not worse compared to 80 ohms.

Jan 23, 2020 at 12:10 PM Post #1,616 of 4,421
Depending on the phone you have the 80 ohms are also fine for mobile phones. I used it with galaxy s8, note 9 and huawei mate 20 pro.

To be honest there is no big difference between 32 and 80 with phones and r5.
You might experience a slight hiss when driving the 80s with a low power mobile phone output.

So in short,
If you want to use the headphones with laptop, mobile phone and r5.. The 32 are good. And SQ is not worse compared to 80 ohms.

Thanks again. I'll give it some thought. Realistically it would probably be 70-80% R5 and 20-30% plugged into an integrated amp, so the 80 is probably the way to go.

Have you tried any other under $200 closed cans you like?

Jan 23, 2020 at 1:47 PM Post #1,617 of 4,421
Thanks again. I'll give it some thought. Realistically it would probably be 70-80% R5 and 20-30% plugged into an integrated amp, so the 80 is probably the way to go.

Have you tried any other under $200 closed cans you like?
As I always liked the clean beyerdynamic sound, I did olny try some 400€ jabra over ears.. Which were absolutely rubbish.. Do not remember the name and bang olufsen, which also were quite good, a bit more musical but less clean and detailed.
I also tried through the beats studio phones which a friend wanted me to listen to, but was quite disappointed.

Jan 24, 2020 at 3:19 AM Post #1,618 of 4,421
Hi everyone. (sorry for my English) I'm new in the world of Hi Res. Ordered Hiby R5 from official site (just waiting the end of Chinese Happy New Year)). It will be my first hi res device.
But also I need to buy the IEM. I will be very glad to hear your advices - which one to choose? Actually, I don't quite understand what is needed. And now I'm not ready to spend a lot of money.
Let's say what should I choose for R5 for 200-300 $? Or for this amount of money nothing is suitable, and I should spend more ?

Thanks in advance.
I recommend the BLON BL 03 , 25€ in alixpress, I use it with my r5, with a 4,4 mm balanced cable, and it sounds great, I don´t think you have to spend 200-300$.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back