R5, a new Android DAP by Hiby
Jan 20, 2020 at 10:12 AM Post #1,591 of 4,421
Thank you Joe. Your support is appreciated.

Anybody use the unit with Amazon HD? Lately I am running quite often into a scenario where Amazon wants to "phone home" to see if the unit is authorized. Sometimes more than once per day. This can be an issue on airplanes! Love to hear what others are experiencing.
I did not experience it and use Amazon HD unlimited

Jan 20, 2020 at 12:03 PM Post #1,592 of 4,421
Jan 20, 2020 at 12:40 PM Post #1,593 of 4,421
I just ordered the R5 (forgot that CNY would be stopping all things chinese until the 1St!).
I couldn't resist the price-drop.
I'm really looking forward to this.

Can a Hiby-link user tell me if it's possible to use Hiby-link to control Spotify (or any other streaming service) from a phone?

This would be a very useful feature to have when it's raining and I don't want to expose my DAP to getting wet (phone is waterproof)
Many thanks for any info.

How is the range/stability with wi-fi and Bluetooth?
I am about to return (reluctantly) my Btr5 to AMP3 as I couldn't get good stability even when the phone and device were within a couple of feet of each other with no obstacles.
Walking around with the phone (Sony xz1 compact) in one front trouser pocket, and the BTR5 in the other front trouser pocket was too glitchy to bear, indoors or out, and even when I had the devices just a few inches apart there were occasional (but still very annoying) drop-outs and scratchy interference.
So I'm wondering if the R5 will be any better in that regard?

This isn't a deal breaker for me, as I'll be using the R5 wired most of the time anyway, but I'd like to take advantage of Hiby-link, and even maybe bluetooth sometimes (must go and read up about Hiby-link, as I don't even know if it's wi-fi or bluetooth, or how it affects battery life, not mentioned in any review that I've seen yet).

Jan 21, 2020 at 3:09 AM Post #1,594 of 4,421
I just ordered the R5 (forgot that CNY would be stopping all things chinese until the 1St!).
I couldn't resist the price-drop.
I'm really looking forward to this.

Can a Hiby-link user tell me if it's possible to use Hiby-link to control Spotify (or any other streaming service) from a phone?

This would be a very useful feature to have when it's raining and I don't want to expose my DAP to getting wet (phone is waterproof)
Many thanks for any info.

How is the range/stability with wi-fi and Bluetooth?
I am about to return (reluctantly) my Btr5 to AMP3 as I couldn't get good stability even when the phone and device were within a couple of feet of each other with no obstacles.
Walking around with the phone (Sony xz1 compact) in one front trouser pocket, and the BTR5 in the other front trouser pocket was too glitchy to bear, indoors or out, and even when I had the devices just a few inches apart there were occasional (but still very annoying) drop-outs and scratchy interference.
So I'm wondering if the R5 will be any better in that regard?

This isn't a deal breaker for me, as I'll be using the R5 wired most of the time anyway, but I'd like to take advantage of Hiby-link, and even maybe bluetooth sometimes (must go and read up about Hiby-link, as I don't even know if it's wi-fi or bluetooth, or how it affects battery life, not mentioned in any review that I've seen yet).
- now in your other pocket there will be a R5 instead of BTR5
- the stability of the wireless connection is about the same as that of the XZ1c, but worse than S9/Note9/S10

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2020 at 3:36 AM Post #1,595 of 4,421
Anyone compared R5 to LG V series, R5 is upgrade to SQ or just better form factor?

Jan 21, 2020 at 11:38 PM Post #1,597 of 4,421
New R5 user here and is it normal to be able to see the touchscreen digitizer so easily?

IMG_2491.jpeg

Jan 22, 2020 at 11:16 AM Post #1,601 of 4,421
Does the appearance of the digitiser seem to visibly affect the screen while in use?
Not in normal use. I mean if I hold it up to the light at the right angle and look for it I can see it because I know it's there, but I don't think anyone who just picks it up and looks at it with the screen on would notice it. For what it's worth, heard from the dealer and he confirmed it's normal. Probably just a cheaper panel to keep the costs down. Unfortunate, but sounds great and I use it to play music not stare at, so a minor nibble :)

Jan 22, 2020 at 11:48 AM Post #1,602 of 4,421
Same issue with the N6ii

Also on other players - whilst using Amazon music with the screen off, if you press one of the physical buttons it starts playing stuff from your locally stored library?!

Jan 22, 2020 at 1:55 PM Post #1,603 of 4,421
Not in normal use. I mean if I hold it up to the light at the right angle and look for it I can see it because I know it's there, but I don't think anyone who just picks it up and looks at it with the screen on would notice it. For what it's worth, heard from the dealer and he confirmed it's normal. Probably just a cheaper panel to keep the costs down. Unfortunate, but sounds great and I use it to play music not stare at, so a minor nibble :)
Phew :cold_sweat:.
I too will be happy enough as long as the screen looks good in use.

In a related matter, has anyone found tempered glass screen protectors that fit the R5?

Jan 23, 2020 at 12:08 AM Post #1,605 of 4,421
Hi all, would the R5 be significantly better that the LG G8 with it's quad dac?

I use a Shanling M2S and will be getting the LG. Wondering about the R5 given the great price now.

Thanks.

I did ask same question earlier but no reply, probably no one has both LG phone and R5

Users who are viewing this thread

Back