R.I.P. Dr. Amar Bose
Jul 13, 2013 at 1:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 54

ev13wt

1000+ Head-Fier
http://web.mit.edu/newsoffice/2013/obit-amar-bose-0712.html

"Amar Bose ’51, SM ’52, ScD ’56, a former member of the MIT faculty and the founder of Bose Corporation, has died. He was 83.

Dr. Bose received his bachelor’s degree, master’s degree and doctorate from MIT, all in electrical engineering. He was asked to join the faculty in 1956, and he accepted with the intention of teaching for no more than two years. He continued as a member of the MIT faculty until 2001."

Jul 14, 2013 at 9:33 AM Post #4 of 54
RIP Amar Bose

Jul 14, 2013 at 1:32 PM Post #9 of 54
Great memories listening to Bose speakers in the 90s.

Jul 14, 2013 at 3:09 PM Post #10 of 54
My pastor played some recordings of a pipe organ on some small Bose speakers and a sub, and I was seriously looking for the pipes.  Regardless of Bose's reputation around here, I was exceedingly impressed with the performance of those speakers.

Jul 14, 2013 at 3:39 PM Post #12 of 54
Quote:
I could say something bad here but I'll hold back.

Quote:

Seriously, you two?  Seriously?  Why even post at all then?  Think anyone cares about what you say?  At least he did something.  Something HUGE at that.

That was the nicest way I could think of expressing myself about that.  Sad.

In expressing appreciation to Dr. Bose on the occasion of the gift, MIT’s then-president, Susan Hockfield, said of him, “His insatiable curiosity propelled remarkable research, both at MIT and within the company he founded. Dr. Bose has always been more concerned about the next two decades than about the next two quarters.”

Long term.  Think long term, and always have more than one plan.

Jul 14, 2013 at 3:45 PM Post #13 of 54
Quote:

Seriously, you two?  Seriously?  Why even post at all then?  Think anyone cares about what you say?  At least he did something.  Something HUGE at that.

That was the nicest way I could think of expressing myself about that.  Sad.

In expressing appreciation to Dr. Bose on the occasion of the gift, MIT’s then-president, Susan Hockfield, said of him, “His insatiable curiosity propelled remarkable research, both at MIT and within the company he founded. Dr. Bose has always been more concerned about the next two decades than about the next two quarters.”

Long term.  Think long term, and always have more than one plan.

Hey, hold back folks.

Let this not be a debate about bose, beats, skullcandy and audiophile brands. Them thoughts have been expressed thousands of times on headfi before, so no need to repeat them discussions.

Jul 14, 2013 at 3:56 PM Post #15 of 54
Linked article is 404ed. Not sure if it's because I'm part of the unwashed masses (read: not a member) or whatnot but it's broken for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back