R-50 or DBA-02 mkII?
Feb 28, 2013 at 5:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

FightBrothers

Head-Fier
I really want to pull the trigger on either of these headphones but i don't know which one is more suited for me.
I listen to:
instrumental beats (emancipator, acro jazz laboratories, re:plus etc)
Jazz
Vocals (both male and female)
Classical (mostly piano)
i've never heard either of the headphones so could someone who heard both of these headphones suggest one that is suited to the genre of music i just listed.

Feb 28, 2013 at 5:59 PM Post #2 of 10
They use the same driver. They will sound very similar to each other. They'll both be suited to the same styles of music.

Feb 28, 2013 at 6:01 PM Post #3 of 10
-double post-

Feb 28, 2013 at 6:12 PM Post #4 of 10
From what I read from reviews about these two IEMS, the DBA-02 mkII is more bassy and sibilant while the R-50 is less bassy and smoother than DBA-02 mkII. I am really leaned towards the R-50 but i'm afraid it won't have enough bass to be enjoyable with the type of genres i'm listening to. The amount of bass that is satisfying for me would probably be a bit less than the amount the FXT90s would have. That is why I'm also considering buying the DBA-02 mkII because i can tolerate sibilance more than lack of bass.

Mar 1, 2013 at 4:07 AM Post #6 of 10
I owned the R-50 for a week, so here are my impressions on it:

It was a great all-rounder overall, did any kind of acoustic music with good proficiency. VERY detailed reproduction, very transparent, excellent airy presentation, fantastic separation.

The downsides, to my ears and understanding of ideal sound, were that the bottom-end, while quite reasonable in extension, did not have a realistic body and decay. As a result, percussion instruments sounded a little hollow and lightweight. It CAN hit low notes, but the resulting notes are thin and a bit unnatural, to my ears.\
It can also sound spitty and unrefined around 6k - 9k or so.

Mar 1, 2013 at 5:19 AM Post #7 of 10
I've had both, i preferred the DBA-02 MKII as it is slightly warmer, but not sibilant, and worked better with all genres. Also they are better built than the R-50.

R-50 is slightly thinner sounding, they lack body which is where the DBA-02 MKII is better, more body, more natural sound.

Also accessory wise DBA-02 MKII comes with a lot more tips for a better fit.

Mar 2, 2013 at 3:59 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:
From what I read from reviews about these two IEMS, the DBA-02 mkII is more bassy and sibilant while the R-50 is less bassy and smoother than DBA-02 mkII. I am really leaned towards the R-50 but i'm afraid it won't have enough bass to be enjoyable with the type of genres i'm listening to. The amount of bass that is satisfying for me would probably be a bit less than the amount the FXT90s would have. That is why I'm also considering buying the DBA-02 mkII because i can tolerate sibilance more than lack of bass.

Spot on 100%

I have B2 (which is 95% identical to DBA-02) and I have a loaned pair of R-50, B2 has brighter treble, bigger soundstage, and punchier bass, whereas R-50 has smoother treble, and slightly more detailed, and more forward mids.

Each of them will appeal to different people, R-50 is absolutely non-fatiguing, whereas B2 bright treble could be fatiguing to some people

Nov 9, 2013 at 5:09 AM Post #10 of 10
I own the DBA-02 MK I and th SM3 v1. The latter has an imbalance problem, that's why I bought the DBA-02 to replace them.
I'd say they are quite different. The SM3 has much more low end, and an emphasis on the lower mids, thus giving a much warmer sound. However, the bass is also quite slow in comparison. Some would say they have a more realistic decay. They are also more detailed. There is more micro detail. That is not to say that the DBA-02 is a slouch. They are very detailed as well.
Regarding treble energy, there is no contest: the SM3 has very recessed treble, where the DBA-02 has upfront, crystal clear treble. Midrange on the SM3 is warm and thick. On the DBA-02, it is more neutral.

Now I got used to the DBA, I find the SM3 very thick sounding (too much actually for my taste).
I prefer the DBA-02 sound signature, but the SM3 remains a good sounding IEM.
What I really love about the DBA-02 is the ease of use: I'm using simple flange tips, very easy to put in and isolation is great, as well as comfort. With the SM3, I had a hard time finding a good seal, and only one tip worked for me. It's a biflange sensorcom tip. It's much harder to insert and pull out.
So for everyday use, and commute, I MUCH prefer the DBA ergonomics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back