Quick Survey Request For School!
Oct 28, 2014 at 9:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

GL1TCH3D

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm doing a short presentation in my business communications class and the topic choice was really broad (well... completely open)

I decided to just present my thoughts on the differences between celebrity and audiophile headphones.

But I'd like to get some real data from other audiophiles!

I whipped up this survey to do that:
https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/ZFB9BQD

and would greatly appreciate getting a few responses!

Thanks - GL1TCH3D

Oct 28, 2014 at 8:23 PM Post #2 of 4
Sure, I'll take it.

Major problem on the Introductory Information page if you're looking for an unbiased result:

You will be asked to put in numerical scores for each category based on your perceived quality in relation to sound and build quality.

Audiophile Brand headphones are generally considered to be headphones that focus on sound and build quality while celebrity branded headphones are generally considered to be headphones endorsed or commissioned (through non-audiophile brand companies) by celebrities.

You immediately prime the survey takers to rate audiophile headphones higher by suggesting audiophile headphones focus on the features they're rating. Results can only be as unbiased as the poll itself. You're also polling audiophile forums so of course you're going to get results biased towards the brands they like. Unless you are posting it in other kinds of places, in which case ignore that last complaint.

I'm not going to try to guess what kind of information you're looking for or expect to get, but I think you would have at least got more interesting results if you:
  1. Made two separate polls, one advertised on audiophile forums and one advertised elsewhere in the internet (i.e. one audiophile and one general population poll)
  2. Didn't give us any explanation as to the purpose of the poll, or made any distinction between "audiophile" and "celebrity" headphones, or set any upper or lower price limit
  3. instead just made a list of popular or well-known headphones from all camps, unlabeled by camp, or even just whole brands, and jumbled together in a random order
  4. then gave us a page to grade each headphone 1 to 7 on sound quality, one page on build quality, one on aesthetics, perceived cost, value, and all sorts of other stuff
  5. then crunched all the data to look for trends in perception of the different camps, brands, styles, and how these differed between audiophiles and the general population

I'm sure it's well beyond the scope of your assignment, but I think it would yield enlightening data.

Also, fair warning, but since I typed all this before I officially started the poll, my responses will probably be biased toward being fair to the celebrity headphones. I don't take kindly to being primed
biggrin.gif

Oct 28, 2014 at 10:06 PM Post #3 of 4
"I decided to just present my thoughts on the differences between celebrity and audiophile headphones.'

The difference is that the headphones that truly have good sound quality are the ones that real musicians buy. 
Take a survey of classical musicians and see which headphones they buy. 

You will probably see the brands Sennheiser, AKG Beyerdynamic, and Audio Technica mentioned quite often.

The people here generally have had little of no experience with celebrity headphones, except perhaps listening to them briefly in a store just out of curiosity. We would not waste our money on those.

Nov 13, 2014 at 9:43 AM Post #4 of 4
Sure, I'll take it.

Major problem on the Introductory Information page if you're looking for an unbiased result:

You will be asked to put in numerical scores for each category based on your perceived quality in relation to sound and build quality.

Audiophile Brand headphones are generally considered to be headphones that focus on sound and build quality while celebrity branded headphones are generally considered to be headphones endorsed or commissioned (through non-audiophile brand companies) by celebrities.

You immediately prime the survey takers to rate audiophile headphones higher by suggesting audiophile headphones focus on the features they're rating. Results can only be as unbiased as the poll itself. You're also polling audiophile forums so of course you're going to get results biased towards the brands they like. Unless you are posting it in other kinds of places, in which case ignore that last complaint.

I'm not going to try to guess what kind of information you're looking for or expect to get, but I think you would have at least got more interesting results if you:
  • Made two separate polls, one advertised on audiophile forums and one advertised elsewhere in the internet (i.e. one audiophile and one general population poll)
  • Didn't give us any explanation as to the purpose of the poll, or made any distinction between "audiophile" and "celebrity" headphones, or set any upper or lower price limit
  • instead just made a list of popular or well-known headphones from all camps, unlabeled by camp, or even just whole brands, and jumbled together in a random order
  • then gave us a page to grade each headphone 1 to 7 on sound quality, one page on build quality, one on aesthetics, perceived cost, value, and all sorts of other stuff
  • then crunched all the data to look for trends in perception of the different camps, brands, styles, and how these differed between audiophiles and the general population

I'm sure it's well beyond the scope of your assignment, but I think it would yield enlightening data.

Also, fair warning, but since I typed all this before I officially started the poll, my responses will probably be biased toward being fair to the celebrity headphones. I don't take kindly to being primed :D

Definitely outside the scopre of the assignment I had =(
If I had more time for the assignment as well as more time to present the findings I definitely would have gone more in depth. Unfortunately part of the assignment was to be biased (though maybe the poll should not have been as biased)
Furthermore I recognize this is an audiophile forum and that's what I wanted, to get the opinion of audiophiles in regards to cleebrity headphones. There's more than enough from the average consumer on non-audiophile headphones and meanwhile most of these consumers would not have nearly enough experience in either celebrity or audiophile headphones to get fair responses for a poll such as this.

Anyway thanks!

"I decided to just present my thoughts on the differences between celebrity and audiophile headphones.'

The difference is that the headphones that truly have good sound quality are the ones that real musicians buy. 
Take a survey of classical musicians and see which headphones they buy. 

You will probably see the brands Sennheiser, AKG Beyerdynamic, and Audio Technica mentioned quite often.

The people here generally have had little of no experience with celebrity headphones, except perhaps listening to them briefly in a store just out of curiosity. We would not waste our money on those.

Well... I'd hope the people bashing the celebrity headphones have some experience with at least a handful of pairs. Though I recognize the problem that a lot of users just jump on the bandwagon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back