Quick Review, Panasonic SL-MP77 PCDP at Target for $60
Jul 26, 2004 at 10:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Eagle_Driver

Headphoneus Supremus
A couple of days ago, I picked this PCDP up at Target just to compare to the Sony D-NE300 that I purchased recently. Here are my brief impressions:

- The player has all of its controls, save for the (edge-mounted) Hold switch, located on the lid. This makes it easier to use than the Sony (which has the volume buttons on the edge of the player, and the Hold switch at the bottom of the player). However, the player's execution does have a few minuses:

- The SL-MP77 can display ID3 tags - but you'll have to press a button every time you want to display any of them. By default, it displays only the album and track number and elapsed time of the track. (The Sony displays partial ID3 tag information, along with the track number and elapsed time on the track, as default.)

- The SL-MP77, like other MP3 Panasonics, cannot fast-search (forward or reverse) within MP3 tracks. The Sony can - but its fast-search function is rather slow.

- The SL-MP77 comes with a remote - but it's the non-LCD type. The Sony lacks both a remote control and the provision to add one later.

- The SL-MP77, like most other 2003 and 2004-model Panasonics, has an anti-skip feature which is selectable between 10 seconds linear and 45 seconds compressed for standard audio CD playback - or up to 100 seconds for MP3 playback. (The anti-skip on the 2004 high-end SL-CT### series models is selectable between 45 seconds linear and 180 seconds (3 minutes) compressed for CD-DA playback, or up to 400 seconds for MP3 playback, due to their larger cache memory - 8MB versus 2MB.) However, I don't care much for the way Panasonic had labeled the modes (POS 2 for linear mode, POS 1 for highly compressed mode) - and the numbering is opposite to Sony's convention (G-Pro 1 for linear, G-Pro 2 for moderately compressed).

- The new Panasonics (and last year's Panasonics) finally got rid of the company's old Resume feature which resumed playback from the beginning of the current track. In its place is a new Resume feature which resumes playback from the exact point where the PCDP was last stopped. But Panasonic PCDPs make you open and close the lid to reset the player to restart playback from the beginning of the disc; Sonys can restart playback from the beginning when the Play button is pressed and held for two seconds.

- The SL-MP77, like other new Panasonic PCDPs, has a digital amp (which they've dubbed "D-sound"). However, although mine didn't distort even at maximum volume level settings (the Sony did above 26/30), the frequency response of the Panasonic shows a +1dB response peak at 20kHz (tested with RMAA 5.x). But to the average listener, that difference is practically inaudible, since that peak occurs just above the highest frequency at which most adults could hear at all - and it would have taken a +/-3dB difference in the sound level even at 3.5kHz in order for most adults to hear much of a difference. Avid audiophiles will notice this top-end boost as a mild increase in the so-called "detail". Thus, if the Sony D-NE300 were a Sennheiser HD580, I'd best describe this Panasonic as a Grado SR-225 without the 'Grato'. Different? Yes. But is one better than the other? Depends on personal taste.

- And one more detail: The Panasonic has a very good dynamic range measurement - about 93dB. The Sony came out just mediocre in this area, with a measurement of about 88dB.

Overall, the Panasonic SL-MP77 is a good alternative to the Sony D-NE300. Both of them have different strengths and weaknesses.

Hope you enjoy this quick review. I will update my results after testing the SL-MP77 under headphone-impedance loads.

Your <insert 4-letter-word here>ing portable audio moderator,
Eagle_Driver

Jul 26, 2004 at 11:15 PM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by princeclassic
what's the difference between this model and the sl-sx430?

The SL-MP77 can display ID3v1 tags; the SL-SX430 cannot. (The SL-SX430 only shows the album number, the track number and the elapsed time of the current track.) Otherwise, both units are very similar, down to their innards.

Jul 27, 2004 at 12:52 AM Post #4 of 10
couldn't help myself....i bought the sl-sx430 to replace my sl-sx320.

using my portapros...the volume levels on the 430 and 320 are about equal. i never had a problem with the volume on the 320 so this isn't a bother for me.

comparing the 430 on 10 second anti skip to the 48 sec anti skip on the 320 using nick drake's five leaves left i could hear the difference, though it was somewhat subtle. the compressed sound (can't really explain how it sounds....but it's there) with the 320 was apparent. the 430 just sounded smoother.

Jul 27, 2004 at 3:51 AM Post #6 of 10
Guess again, terrymx.
tongue.gif

(Just kidding.)

Jul 30, 2004 at 2:01 AM Post #7 of 10
My newest set of RMAA 5.3 results on the Panasonic SL-MP77 indicates that the bass response still drops off with low-impedance headphones, and the treble response begins to be affected by the low-impedance headphones as well. And with lower-impedance headphones, the SL-MP77 scores rather poorly in THD and IMD (its rating of Poor in those two areas is the second-lowest rating of the six possible ratings, the worst being Very Poor), and all three PCDPs suffer from stereo crosstalk problems with lower-impedance headphones. (For comparison, the Sony D-EJ2000 - among the best of last year's PCDPs - delivers unremarkable test results across the board from its headphone out - while the Sony D-NE300 scores well in frequency response but unspectacular in other areas of performance.) Still, the overall RMAA results are better than the Sony D-EJ2000 through the headphone out, but not as good as the Sony D-NE300. (Of course, the Sony D-EJ2000 through the line out outperforms all three PCDPs through their headphone outs - no surprise there.)

Aug 4, 2004 at 7:52 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eagle_Driver
My newest set of RMAA 5.3 results on the Panasonic SL-MP77 indicates that the bass response still drops off with low-impedance headphones, and the treble response begins to be affected by the low-impedance headphones as well. And with lower-impedance headphones, the SL-MP77 scores rather poorly in THD and IMD (its rating of Poor in those two areas is the second-lowest rating of the six possible ratings, the worst being Very Poor), and all three PCDPs suffer from stereo crosstalk problems with lower-impedance headphones. (For comparison, the Sony D-EJ2000 - among the best of last year's PCDPs - delivers unremarkable test results across the board from its headphone out - while the Sony D-NE300 scores well in frequency response but unspectacular in other areas of performance.) Still, the overall RMAA results are better than the Sony D-EJ2000 through the headphone out, but not as good as the Sony D-NE300. (Of course, the Sony D-EJ2000 through the line out outperforms all three PCDPs through their headphone outs - no surprise there.)

Note that these tests were performed through the line in of my M-Audio Revolution 7.1 soundcard. But I have a hunch that what measured best in frequency response actually sounded worst in listening tests, based on the reaction at the 31 July Chicago Head-Fi meet. And the player which measured worst in RMAA's frequency response tests actually sounded better than many of the other PCDPs at the meet. This gives creedence that the audio inputs on the M-Audio Revolution is not very accurate; in fact, it may itself be boosting the bass and treble of any input going into the card. (The relatively low dynamic-range results for the Revo itself may actually be skewing the dynamic range results for some of the PCDPs, as well.) I will try to get a better soundcard, such as the E-Mu 1212M, to determine whether or not it's the Revo itself that's to blame. (Even the Audigy2 ZS may actually perform better at 24/96 than my Revo at the same bit/sampling rate - I couldn't get any RMAA result at all whatsoever from my Revo at 24/96. It could have been the driver version used during the RMAA testing - the current 1.0.2.8 version - which had bugs.) Any updates to this thread and to the Sony D-NE300 and the Chicago Meet threads will be posted at a later date.

Sep 3, 2004 at 2:29 AM Post #9 of 10
Eagle_Driver, Thank you for your review. I purchased this model on 8/27 to give it to my sister for par of her birthday gift. I thought it looked good in Target when I had it next to all the others. It was the last one they had so I bought it. When I got home I looked for more info online and only found you post. I checked with Panasonic and they don't show it at all. I thought they might have more detailed info like on the SL-MP75. I do have a few concrns now about operation that I have read about. I'll have to see if not being able to fast search through a song (mp3) is a feature she must have. I also bought her a pair of Panasonic RP-HS-900PP-S Brain Shaker Headphones for her enjoyment. I'm just not sure if I have done the right thing. I've been pondering returnng them. Based on your experience, are there many more PCDP and Headphones I should look at an consider before settling on what I have already purchased?

Sep 5, 2004 at 7:12 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by KSW
Eagle_Driver, Thank you for your review.

Well, I'm thinking about returning my purchase and paying here a cell phone. I don't have the time to go out and listen to all of these player. Plus at my target and some other store in my area it is near impossible to find a demo unit to listen to.

FWIW
I do want to ad I purchased a TDK MOJO CD Player for myself way back when they were new. I still love it! Still works great! Too bad you can't buy them today.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back