Quick Question: Amps under $200
May 4, 2008 at 7:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Citizen86

100+ Head-Fier
I started reading through the review of the Zero DAC/Amp, and it looks very promising for what I would need when I bought an Amp. Basically my almost exclusive source would be my PC, fed through an Xtremegamer.

Basically, my question is if there are any Dac/Amps out there comparable to the Zero, which means it would need Optical in, clean sound like the Zero, and probably changeable opamps would be a big plus. I've done a quick search, but many of the amps I saw in that price range didn't have optical in, and I don't really want to use my sound card's DAC since it's apparently pretty crappy.

I would do more research, but right now I'm too excited researching headphones that I may want in the future
biggrin.gif

May 4, 2008 at 9:12 PM Post #2 of 6
A USB DAC and Amp combo like the iBasso D1 might be worth a look. Ithas analog, coax, optical and USB input. Pretty small, very versatile and has enough juice to run higher impedence headphones. Op amps can be chenged out so you can tailor the sound to your liking.

May 5, 2008 at 2:25 PM Post #3 of 6
I actually saw the iBasso D2 which looked nice, but I don't think it's being sold anymore
confused.gif

It looks like there are a few options. Might even be one or two that are portable. Thanks for the suggestion

May 9, 2008 at 9:36 PM Post #5 of 6
If your notebook/laptop is your only source you should also consider the Echo Indigo DJ, but that also depends on your phones (high/low Ohm).

May 12, 2008 at 8:42 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by smuh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If your notebook/laptop is your only source you should also consider the Echo Indigo DJ, but that also depends on your phones (high/low Ohm).

I haven't heard of that.... but maybe I'll take a look, thanks! Looks pricey though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back