Quick question about soundcards and DACs
Dec 22, 2014 at 11:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Gamingmusiclove

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys! here´s the deal, i want to build my pc. I was thinking of buying a good soundcard with it (haven´t decided which one). The one i had in mind was a Sound Blaster Z PCIe. At the same time, i was thinking to buy a he400i with Whatever Amp/Dac i liked. Here is the question. Will i need a DAC? take in count i listen to music mostly on pc. Thanks in advance!

Dec 23, 2014 at 2:48 AM Post #2 of 14
That souncard has dac and headphone amp built in. So you dont need amp/dac.

Or you dont need the card (if your mb has optical out you can connect it to external amp with optical input).

You could also buy xonar dx (cheap with good dac but no hp amp) and external amp.

Your choice.

Dec 23, 2014 at 8:53 AM Post #3 of 14
That souncard has dac and headphone amp built in. So you dont need amp/dac.

Or you dont need the card (if your mb has optical out you can connect it to external amp with optical input).

You could also buy xonar dx (cheap with good dac but no hp amp) and external amp.

Your choice.

Thanks! This is actually good news for me. Im buying that model now and im also going to buy an asgard 2 for the he400i

Dec 23, 2014 at 3:49 PM Post #4 of 14
Although i want to clarify something. Aren't DAC's supposed to bypass soundcards?. Im not even sure on what to do know. Where will i get a better sound quality, with a stand-alone DAC or with a soundcard?

Dec 23, 2014 at 4:05 PM Post #5 of 14
soundcard is DAC and amp (some have dedicated headphone amp).
So no need for soundcard if you get stand alone dac.

Sound quality wise, it depends on your wallet.
Stand alone dac is probably better after you pass 150$ range.
But xonar dx is known to have really good dac in (and above) its price range.

Check out o2 amp and dac, schiit modi/vali and magni...

Dec 23, 2014 at 4:24 PM Post #6 of 14
soundcard is DAC and amp (some have dedicated headphone amp).
So no need for soundcard if you get stand alone dac.

Sound quality wise, it depends on your wallet.
Stand alone dac is probably better after you pass 150$ range.
But xonar dx is known to have really good dac in (and above) its price range.

Check out o2 amp and dac, schiit modi/vali and magni...

Thanks a lot! I think i will but that soundcard and invest in the asgard

Dec 23, 2014 at 4:38 PM Post #7 of 14
Although i want to clarify something. Aren't DAC's supposed to bypass soundcards?. Im not even sure on what to do know. Where will i get a better sound quality, with a stand-alone DAC or with a soundcard?

One other option is to get a USB dac+headphone amp, this is a DAC+USB soundcard + headphone amp, built into 1 unit and perhaps keep the Sound Blaster with its specialized DSP for other tasks like gaming.
This is the bypass option

Players like Foobar can be setup to use specific soundcard.

The Hifiman he400i is planar magnetic, suggest you check with the owners on this forum to see what the drive requirements are, in particular if a PC soundcard can drive the phones.

Dec 23, 2014 at 4:45 PM Post #8 of 14

One other option is to get a USB dac+headphone amp, this is a DAC+USB soundcard + headphone amp, built into 1 unit and perhaps keep the Sound Blaster with its specialized DSP for other tasks like gaming.
This is the bypass option

Players like Foobar can be setup to use specific soundcard.

The Hifiman he400i is planar magnetic, suggest you check with the owners on this forum to see what the drive requirements are, in particular if a PC soundcard can drive the phones.

I talkes to them and they recommended the asgard 2 among others. Would the modi 2 qualify as a USB dac?

Dec 23, 2014 at 4:54 PM Post #10 of 14
I talkes to them and they recommended the asgard 2 among others. Would the modi 2 qualify as a USB dac?

Yes.

The Modi2 is the DAC, the Asgard2 is the amp, you will need both

That is
PC->Modi2->Asgard2->he400i

Hmmm. Thanks a lot! The thing is, ive heard the soundcard (which im a 100% sure im buying) im buying is really good, and has a pretty cool dac.the only thing i eould be missing is the sample rate of 24/192 the modo offers. Hard decision

Dec 23, 2014 at 5:06 PM Post #11 of 14
Hmmm. Thanks a lot! The thing is, ive heard the soundcard (which im a 100% sure im buying) im buying is really good, and has a pretty cool dac.the only thing i eould be missing is the sample rate of 24/192 the modo offers. Hard decision

The HE400i can draw a lot of current compared to regular dynamics, the soundcard, motherboard and PC powersupply has to be up to the task of supplying the current if you want to get the best out of the Hifiman using a soundcard.

The HE400i is a good set of phones if they are given enough power.

Dec 23, 2014 at 5:25 PM Post #12 of 14
The HE400i can draw a lot of current compared to regular dynamics, the soundcard, motherboard and PC powersupply has to be up to the task of supplying the current if you want to get the best out of the Hifiman using a soundcard.

The HE400i is a good set of phones if they are given enough power.

Yes but thats why i get the asgard. The power suppky im buying is really good so im not worrying

Users who are viewing this thread

Back