Quick Question about headphone amplification.
May 9, 2014 at 1:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

AlexZanderZee

New Head-Fier
This question probably has a simple answer, so here it goes. I purchased a pair of Beyerdynamic DT 660 headphones for listening to classical music. I simply have them plugged directly into my PC, and this makes sense since their impedance is 32 ohms. The product came with the 6.34 mm adapter even though these headphones should not need to be amped. Can I benefit from having the headphones attached to a desktop amplifier? The box does say the power handling capacity is 100mW. Will the headphones simply be louder if I amp them?

May 9, 2014 at 1:24 AM Post #2 of 8
Louder and possibly cleaner sounding and with more impact. A beefy amp with a lot of current capabilities and a well filtered power supply is going to result in a lower noise floor and better dynamics.

May 9, 2014 at 1:27 AM Post #3 of 8
This is Headfi, everybody will recommend you spend money on amps and external dacs. My personal opinion is, if one decides a low impedance headphone is alright, they don't need a good amp/dac to begin with.

But note that it also depends on your mobo. If your motherboard is old, especially 2008 era or older, yes, it is very possible to get better sound with an aftermarket solution. Or if you hear odd noises, clicking, whining when you use your computer. But if you did,. you'd notice it and mentioned it already.

May 9, 2014 at 3:02 AM Post #4 of 8
I don't have an amp, but I do have a pair of Bose speakers. I plugged my Apple earpods into the (°_°)phone jack, AND THEY SOUNDED BETTER.

Sometimes I wonder if (°_°)phones can sound good without amps at all.

Too bad the speakers alter the signal... I need to buy an actual amp sometime fast.

May 9, 2014 at 5:17 AM Post #5 of 8
Louder and possibly cleaner sounding and with more impact. A beefy amp with a lot of current capabilities and a well filtered power supply is going to result in a lower noise floor and better dynamics.

Cleaner, more dimensional sound...more detail, more dynamic with greater impact.

It doesn't have to cost a fortune; for example the JDS Labs O2 will do the job very well.

May 9, 2014 at 10:39 AM Post #6 of 8
  This is Headfi, everybody will recommend you spend money on amps and external dacs. My personal opinion is, if one decides a low impedance headphone is alright, they don't need a good amp/dac to begin with.

Actually, in general I agree with your statement above, but with one important caveat:   a low impedance by itself isnt enough - a headphone can be low impedance and yet tricky to drive if the impedance curve is all over the place and the amp has a relatively high output impedance or is limited in the amount of current it can provide.    

And compared to a computer's headphone out, a well-designed amp is likely to have a better S/N ratio and greater dynamic range.   

May 9, 2014 at 8:07 PM Post #8 of 8
  I think I understand, save one thing. What are headphone dynamics, and what constitutes better dynamics?

It's a technical term. The way I understand it, it has to do with the distance between loud and quiet parts in an audio file. (°_°)phone dynamics, logically, should be the way they reproduce those dynamics. If they don't receive a powerful enough signal, the reproduction becomes inaccurate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back