Quick probably stupid question.
Jun 1, 2007 at 12:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

darkswordsman17

500+ Head-Fier
On headphones of different resistances, where is this extra resistance? Is it on/in the driver itself or is it part of the cable or plug? Sorry if this is stupid, but am thinking of doing some recabling and want to make sure that I don't screw anything up and be sure to get proper plugs/wires.

I think I'm just confusing myself because of the difference in resistance on audio versus video RCA cables.

Jun 1, 2007 at 1:21 PM Post #3 of 4
Alrighty, that's all I needed to know. Was doing some modification and in the process of tinkering ended up breaking one of the really flimsy stock wires. I had been wanting to get into DIY cables, and well I guess now I don't really have a choice.
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm going to go out in a bit and check around at several places and see what I can come up with locally. If I don't find much or they seem overpriced I'll probably just hold off and order online.

I'm thinking I'll need the wires for each driver, some shielding or something (if the wires don't already have it), possibly some exterior sheathing to pretty it up, and then the 1/4" plug itself.

Any chains that might have some decent quality parts for all that? If not I know there's a few boutique audio shops around that I'll probably check out.

Jun 1, 2007 at 1:46 PM Post #4 of 4
Would it be incredibly stupid to take normal speaker wire (say 20 or so gauge), give it some extra shielding (probably separate the two wires and wrap each and then wrap them again as a single cable) and use that for wiring?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back