Questyle CMA800 Current Mode amp
Oct 28, 2015 at 1:51 PM Post #661 of 757
  It doesn't look related to me. I ran across the CMA600 while Googling for the new model, and it looks like an extremely different beast. It's also interesting to me that the 600i is actually larger than the 800R (and I assume the 800i?).

It is the same chassis size as the CMA800R and CMA800i.

Oct 28, 2015 at 1:53 PM Post #662 of 757
While I love the sound quality and build quality of the 800r, I do have one gripe. I wish that it had balanced 4 pin output. The mono block setup is uber cool but over kill for me given my headphones and budget. Maybe if I were driving the he6, it would be useful to run these in mono block. An 800r with 4 pin balanced would be end game for me on the solid state front. 

Oct 28, 2015 at 2:33 PM Post #663 of 757
Agree, would be more ideal to have the 4-pin XLR also.

Oct 29, 2015 at 3:20 PM Post #665 of 757
  While I love the sound quality and build quality of the 800r, I do have one gripe. I wish that it had balanced 4 pin output. The mono block setup is uber cool but over kill for me given my headphones and budget. Maybe if I were driving the he6, it would be useful to run these in mono block. An 800r with 4 pin balanced would be end game for me on the solid state front. 

Agree, would be more ideal to have the 4-pin XLR also.

The problem with that is it wouldn't gain you anything, it would be the same output as the single ended except though a balanced connector. With the mono output you are getting four times the output, plus a lower noise floor and lower distortion levels.

Oct 29, 2015 at 4:24 PM Post #667 of 757
The problem with that is it wouldn't gain you anything, it would be the same output as the single ended except though a balanced connector. With the mono output you are getting four times the output, plus a lower noise floor and lower distortion levels.

I'm aware of the benefits, I have them in monoblock configuration. I meant it'd be nice to have 4-pin XLR instead of one of the single-ended outputs, but obviously only if the design was such that this output was fully balanced.

Oct 30, 2015 at 11:21 AM Post #669 of 757
It's odd to me that the new 600i is going to have balanced output while the flagship models are still single ended. The 800i was looking like my endgame at this point (since I don't need the extra power for my Sig Pros), but I'd love to take advantage of my recent retermination... I guess I'll have to try and wait for an event where I can try both to see which will be better for my needs.

Oct 30, 2015 at 3:18 PM Post #670 of 757
I'm aware of the benefits, I have them in monoblock configuration. I meant it'd be nice to have 4-pin XLR instead of one of the single-ended outputs, but obviously only if the design was such that this output was fully balanced.

The problem is that you are talking about a much more expensive piece, as it would require 4 channels of amplification, and reduced single ended performance, since you would have the same power supply (actually, would probably have to reduce the power supply to make room for the extra 2 channels of amplification).

Dec 17, 2015 at 9:29 PM Post #671 of 757
Hi John 
I will ask you if you please can ask me a few questions :
What Dac is better in detail retrieval and accuracy? 
Yulong da8 II, chord Hugo or Cma800i?
With hd800 you can spot differences between cma800i only amplifier and cma800r in terms of sound quality? 
Auralic Taurus in balanced or cma800r in single ended? Which is best? 

Regards 

Tiago 

Dec 19, 2015 at 6:22 PM Post #672 of 757
  Hi John 
I will ask you if you please can ask me a few questions :
What Dac is better in detail retrieval and accuracy? 
Yulong da8 II, chord Hugo or Cma800i?
With hd800 you can spot differences between cma800i only amplifier and cma800r in terms of sound quality? 
Auralic Taurus in balanced or cma800r in single ended? Which is best? 

Regards 

Tiago 

Hi Tiago,

Tough competition there. All three devices are really nice but I personally like CMA800i the most. If pure detail retrieval is your thing and you want absolute maximum inner detail, the Hugo might be the best choice. CMA800i is only behind by a hair though and has a more organic, well balanced sound overall. DA8 II trails them both in detail and is generally a different sound - thicker, warmer, though not overly so, it isn't as lit up in the treble region.  

With HD800 I do think the CMA800R is an improvement over the CMA800i. Not massive by any means though. Only spotted during critical listening. We're talking well beyond the point of diminishing returns at this stage.

CMA800R is more detailed than Taurus, no matter how you run Taurus. The AURALiC model is warmer and somewhat smoother overall. More relaxed listening while CMA800R is more upright, full attention, active listening. 

So, depending on what you want, it's still a tough choice. Sorry!

Dec 19, 2015 at 7:30 PM Post #673 of 757

Hi Tiago,

Tough competition there. All three devices are really nice but I personally like CMA800i the most. If pure detail retrieval is your thing and you want absolute maximum inner detail, the Hugo might be the best choice. CMA800i is only behind by a hair though and has a more organic, well balanced sound overall. DA8 II trails them both in detail and is generally a different sound - thicker, warmer, though not overly so, it isn't as lit up in the treble region.  

With HD800 I do think the CMA800R is an improvement over the CMA800i. Not massive by any means though. Only spotted during critical listening. We're talking well beyond the point of diminishing returns at this stage.

CMA800R is more detailed than Taurus, no matter how you run Taurus. The AURALiC model is warmer and somewhat smoother overall. More relaxed listening while CMA800R is more upright, full attention, active listening. 

So, depending on what you want, it's still a tough choice. Sorry!

Thanks for the answers John.
I´ve been looking also for your favourite dac the resonessencelabs Invicta.

What are your thoughts , comparing the headphone output between the cma800i and the invicta?
And the sound overall?

Thanks so much

Users who are viewing this thread

Back