Questyle CMA800 Current Mode amp
Oct 17, 2015 at 9:06 PM Post #648 of 757
You're right.  What I mean is, I have aHugo.  However, I also have the QP1R, and think it's the best-sounding DAP I've heard, let alone bought.
I've thought the 800r might be a nice complement to mate with the Hugo for a bit more push with my LCD-Xs for one.
So, I'm curious wheather that might be a combo worth considering, or might the CAS192 be a better DAC to match with the 800, besides that they're both  Questyle.
So, I guess in the long run, my question is 'how does the 192 stack up against other DACs such as the Hugo?
Thanks for your patience.

Oct 17, 2015 at 9:22 PM Post #649 of 757
I had the CAS192 for a weeks audition. I thought it was good and that the DAC was very decent. Nothing exceptional IMHO, but a good solid DAC. I thought that the uberfrost was a better DAC. 

I love the 800r with the lcd2 and lcd3 but have never owned the lcd-x. 

Oct 19, 2015 at 10:21 AM Post #650 of 757
  I had the CAS192 for a weeks audition. I thought it was good and that the DAC was very decent. Nothing exceptional IMHO, but a good solid DAC. I thought that the uberfrost was a better DAC. 

I love the 800r with the lcd2 and lcd3 but have never owned the lcd-x. 

Thanks for that.  I was thinking that the 800R might be a nice complement to my Xs, but wondering if the 192 would be worth it.
I think I'll keep an eye out for a used 800R.

Oct 19, 2015 at 5:52 PM Post #651 of 757
I like the CAS192D quite a bit. I'd put it on par with Hugo (I have both) though each has their own character. Hugo probably digs deeper as far as detail retrieval, though at the cost of some timbral accuracy. CAS192D is slightly more "musical" but still very detailed and accurate, and is not what I'd call a warm DAC overall. Both are very good DACs. 

Oct 27, 2015 at 12:23 PM Post #652 of 757
Anyone see the new 600i? Don't know how far it is in development or close to release, but it looks like a balanced version of the 800i. Shown here under a golden 800R.

tongue_smile.gif

EDIT: Looks like there's more info here: http://headphone.guru/the-source-av-presents-questyle-a-personal-audio-event/

The CMA600i is a desktop DAC/amp combo that is able to handle just about any form of digital input that you can throw at it, converting both PCM (up to 24/192) and DSD up to double-rate DSD.  The signal is then fed into their Current Mode Amplification stage where you can opt for either single-ended or balanced output.  And it retails at a very reasonable $1,299.  But wait, that’s not the best part!  The best thing about the CMA600i is that it’s finished in a bad ass gunmetal (and not a boring silver finish).

Wonder where they made their compromises? Or maybe they found a way to cut production costs?

Oct 27, 2015 at 1:43 PM Post #653 of 757
  Anyone see the new 600i? Don't know how far it is in development or close to release, but it looks like a balanced version of the 800i. Shown here under a golden 800R.

tongue_smile.gif

EDIT: Looks like there's more info here: http://headphone.guru/the-source-av-presents-questyle-a-personal-audio-event/

Wonder where they made their compromises? Or maybe they found a way to cut production costs?

It uses a less expensive DAC chip, as it is still in development, I don't know what other differences there will be.

Oct 27, 2015 at 1:49 PM Post #654 of 757
  It uses a less expensive DAC chip, as it is still in development, I don't know what other differences there will be.

Do you mean that it uses something less expensive than the WM8741? Or a different implementation? Because the 8741 is only like 20 USD by itself... Unless there are different variants. You'll have to excuse me, I'm a layman when it comes to this kind of stuff.

Oct 27, 2015 at 5:31 PM Post #655 of 757
Wow, that looks like a very nice all in one solution. I own the cma800r and continue to be amazed at just how good this amp is. 

Oct 27, 2015 at 5:37 PM Post #656 of 757
Very nice looking indeed! Love the gunmetal.

Oct 28, 2015 at 1:48 AM Post #657 of 757
When I first discovered Questyle, one of their models listed was something called the CMA600. I don't know if it ever officially released overseas but I'm fairly sure we didn't get it in the USA - they wanted to focus on just a few models initially.

Anyway, it was the size of the compact Q192 DAC/amp unit, but it was purely an amp only. And it had the interesting twist of being able to swap amp modules, much like a HiFiMAN HM901. It was dual mono amps, so you'd need a one module for each side, and I think they had 3 different modules available. They were said to have different strengths for a variety of headphones - different impedance, sensitivity, etc. 

I don't remember enough to be more specific, and I'm too lazy to google it, but that seemed like a very interesting little unit. Maybe the CMA600i is somehow related. Put that amp portion with the DAC part of the Q192 and you'd have a rather nice setup indeed. Just speculating though.

Oct 28, 2015 at 1:02 PM Post #658 of 757
  When I first discovered Questyle, one of their models listed was something called the CMA600. I don't know if it ever officially released overseas but I'm fairly sure we didn't get it in the USA - they wanted to focus on just a few models initially.

Anyway, it was the size of the compact Q192 DAC/amp unit, but it was purely an amp only. And it had the interesting twist of being able to swap amp modules, much like a HiFiMAN HM901. It was dual mono amps, so you'd need a one module for each side, and I think they had 3 different modules available. They were said to have different strengths for a variety of headphones - different impedance, sensitivity, etc. 

I don't remember enough to be more specific, and I'm too lazy to google it, but that seemed like a very interesting little unit. Maybe the CMA600i is somehow related. Put that amp portion with the DAC part of the Q192 and you'd have a rather nice setup indeed. Just speculating though.

It doesn't look related to me. I ran across the CMA600 while Googling for the new model, and it looks like an extremely different beast. It's also interesting to me that the 600i is actually larger than the 800R (and I assume the 800i?).

Oct 28, 2015 at 1:10 PM Post #659 of 757
  Do you mean that it uses something less expensive than the WM8741? Or a different implementation? Because the 8741 is only like 20 USD by itself... Unless there are different variants. You'll have to excuse me, I'm a layman when it comes to this kind of stuff.

Different DAC chips require different support, therein lies the cost difference.

Oct 28, 2015 at 1:18 PM Post #660 of 757

The CMA600i is essentially the replacement for the Q192 which has been discontinued due to its lack of support for DSD. Since it is still in development I can't give much more detail, but it won't be modular in design.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back