Questyle CMA800 Current Mode amp
Feb 26, 2014 at 7:15 AM Post #286 of 757
Just received CMA800R (ordered from Amazon - very quick delivery) yesterday -- my overall impression in one word = AMAZING!   I'm using my Invicta DAC (1st generation) as the source and HD800 HPs.   The HPs run single-ended from the CMA800R are a major improvement even over the balanced HP outputs from the Invicta (which is actually pretty good as well).   The CMA800R is the best HP amp I've ever heard driving my H800s.  Very nice product!

Feb 26, 2014 at 11:21 AM Post #287 of 757
Just received CMA800R (ordered from Amazon - very quick delivery) yesterday -- my overall impression in one word = AMAZING!   I'm using my Invicta DAC (1st generation) as the source and HD800 HPs.   The HPs run single-ended from the CMA800R are a major improvement even over the balanced HP outputs from the Invicta (which is actually pretty good as well).   The CMA800R is the best HP amp I've ever heard driving my H800s.  Very nice product!

Which other amp you've ever heard with HD800? :D

Feb 27, 2014 at 1:47 AM Post #289 of 757
Anyone have advice for DACs that pair well with and can really drive the CMA800R?  I know Questyle has their CAS192 which presumably pairs well (though appears to lack volume controls if you want to use two CMA800Rs in dual mono.)  What other DACs work well with and really bring out the best in this amp?  

Feb 27, 2014 at 2:50 AM Post #290 of 757
  Anyone have advice for DACs that pair well with and can really drive the CMA800R?  I know Questyle has their CAS192 which presumably pairs well (though appears to lack volume controls if you want to use two CMA800Rs in dual mono.)  What other DACs work well with and really bring out the best in this amp?  

You gotta be careful because the CMA800R is extremely revealing of source. So The DAC that seemed vaguely dull or bright (or whatever) will be more obviously so compared to most other amps. So when I pair it with the Anedio D2 I get extreme detail. When I use the Yulong DA8, I get some warmth and a smoother tone. It's possible to go too far in either direction - Esoteric D07 is too detailed and analytical for my taste, Rega DAC is dull to the point of lacking all involvement.  

Feb 27, 2014 at 9:01 AM Post #291 of 757
project86's comment re DACs is basically right on the mark -- the CMA800R really is a very transparent amp, which is good in the sense that it lets you match easier the sound of the DAC you prefer. I've only used one DAC with it myself - the Resonessence Invicta - which I feel matches extremely well. I especially like the Invicta since it is a very detailed (but also smooth and well-balanced) DAC that fits best the way I like to listen. Really good DACs like the Invicta will cost you a bit, but if you are going to get an amp as good as the Questyle, I think it pays to get the best DAC possible. If you do want to get 2 amps for dual mono, it is true that you need a DAC with a volume control and this is where DACs like the Invicta (or Mirus) and others like it will pay off. The alternative is that you would need to insert a preamp between a DAC with a fixed output and the 2 amps, which I'm sure would work fine, but you would be complicating the signal path a bit, I would think.

Feb 27, 2014 at 10:49 AM Post #292 of 757

I get smooth pacing as well as high fidelity to pair with the revealing clarity of the CMA800 with my Chord QuteHD DAC and Hynes linear power power.  Its superior signal filtering manages to avoid the digital graininess typical of a lot of sigma-delta chip DACs, which can be exposed so glaringly by the Questyle amp.

I too would recommend a good DAC (e.g. R2R) with built-in volume control if you are going the dual CMA800R monoblock route.

Feb 27, 2014 at 12:51 PM Post #293 of 757

I get smooth pacing as well as high fidelity to pair with the revealing clarity of the CMA800 with my Chord QuteHD DAC and Hynes linear power power.  Its superior signal filtering manages to avoid the digital graininess typical of a lot of sigma-delta chip DACs, which can be exposed so glaringly by the Questyle amp.

I too would recommend a good DAC (e.g. R2R) with built-in volume control if you are going the dual CMA800R monoblock route.

100% correct. That's why I'm aiming at DP-777 or Rockna Wavedream in near future
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 2, 2014 at 3:41 AM Post #299 of 757
i am gonna have a setup like this once the 2nd cma800 reaches me.

Nice! Looking forward to your impressions on how much of a difference balanced is over single ended. Not many impressions comparing the two setups for these it would seem.

Mar 2, 2014 at 9:43 AM Post #300 of 757
I just spoke to Questyle and confirmed a few things. Figured I should update here so everyone knows the latest info.

First, the Q192 is not being redone. I think there was some speculation about it, possibly being refreshed to add DSD. They decided that it needs to keep a low price point (low for a good all-in-one device) rather than add features. So the Q192, which I really like, stays the same. 

Next, the CAS192 is getting a minor update in the near future, with "True DSD" capabilities. What it won't be getting is volume control. So the CAS192 driving dual CMA800R, as pictured a few posts ago, would require software volume control. Which may not be such a bad thing, I don't know. 

Lastly, Questyle has a few more products on the horizon, but nothing finalized yet. There is a higher-end DAC positioned above the CAS192, and then a monoblock speaker amplifier. Neither have prices, finalized specs, or anything else worth mentioning, so I don't have much else to say yet.

Anyway, I'm still enjoying the heck out of the CMA800R. Need to write up my thoughts regarding the differences between them - it's a small improvement, but worth mentioning since the CMA800 is already so damn good. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back