Questyle CMA18 Portable DAC with Headphone Amplifier
Mar 31, 2024 at 10:36 AM Post #316 of 338
@gLer, I will have to order a balanced aux cable but I will definitely test this out with my Sony NW-WM1ZM2. That sounds like an interesting use case and experiment.
Thanks, yes, I'm surprised it doesn't come with a balanced interconnect in the box. This could well be my primary use case for it if the amp quality is up to par.

Mar 31, 2024 at 11:58 AM Post #318 of 338
Can someone please try using the CMA-18P as a portable amp with balanced line-in from a TOTL DAP, and let us know if it improves on the DAP's amp stage?
My understanding is that the analogue inputs are for using the CMA18p as an analogue-to-digital converter only, not as a standalone amp. The CMA18p can output digital audio from the USB port, e.g. to a computer or other DAC, in combination with an analogue source like vinyl. I've tried to use it as an amp only just to check and haven't been able to get any audio out of the headphone jacks.

Mar 31, 2024 at 12:05 PM Post #319 of 338
My understanding is that the analogue inputs are for using the CMA18p as an analogue-to-digital converter only, not as a standalone amp. The CMA18p can output digital audio from the USB port, e.g. to a computer or other DAC, in combination with an analogue source like vinyl. I've tried to use it as an amp only just to check and haven't been able to get any audio out of the headphone jacks.
Hmm, that's disappointing to hear. Missed opportunity - I mean, what would audiophiles need ADC recording for in this day and age? If you already have analogue audio coming in via Line In, why not route it to the headphone ports? Strange.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2024 at 12:53 PM Post #320 of 338
That is not correct. You can use the CMA18 as an amp for your analogue sources with input to the Line-In ports and "direct" output to the headphone jacks (it is however internally ADC-DAC converted obviously). This also works when not connected to a USB-Host for recording. You just have to select "BAL" as input for the 4.4mm and "AUX" as input for the 3.5mm SE. The internal conversion is presumably not improving the sound quality of your source but it is great for convenience.
1711903840644.png

Mar 31, 2024 at 1:34 PM Post #321 of 338
That is not correct. You can use the CMA18 as an amp for your analogue sources with input to the Line-In ports and "direct" output to the headphone jacks (it is however internally ADC-DAC converted obviously). This also works when not connected to a USB-Host for recording. You just have to select "BAL" as input for the 4.4mm and "AUX" as input for the 3.5mm SE. The internal conversion is presumably not improving the sound quality of your source but it is great for convenience.
1711903840644.png
So the analogue input goes through the AK4493 DACs before its output again to the headphone ports? So you basically lose the DAC quality of your source?

Mar 31, 2024 at 2:40 PM Post #322 of 338
So the analogue input goes through the AK4493 DACs before its output again to the headphone ports? So you basically lose the DAC quality of your source?
Yes. I guess that's why they advertise this only as recording function (to a USB-host) "with simultaneous monitoring from the headphone outputs" of the CMA18p and not as analogue amplifier. But you can also "monitor the recording" with your headphones without being connected to any USB-host.

The moment you connect the CMA18p via USB while listening to the BAL input to a PC(or tablet ...) the REC-LED lights up but nothing changes w.r.t. the "monitoring" of BAL/AUX and you can continue to listen to the input signal and now also record it on the PC if you wish to do so. If you unplug the CMA18p from your USB-host, the monitoring continues as before.

So everything from the Line-Inputs is passed through the 48khz/32bit ADC and the DAC-Amp of the CMA18p. It is not meant as a pure analogue amplifier (but it still sounds quite good and relatively transparent if you keep your input levels at or below +2 dBu).

Mar 31, 2024 at 8:48 PM Post #323 of 338
1711903840644.png
Maybe I'll try it again, but the important point I was trying to make is that it isn't a stand-alone amp, the analogue inputs are doing analogue to digital conversion. Seems like you'd just lose resolution from the additional conversion steps, but I guess if you like the particular sound you get from some combination it would be worthwhile. It does seem like an unusual design choice rather than just being able to use it as an amp only.

Mar 31, 2024 at 11:34 PM Post #324 of 338
Has anyone compared CMA18 with the Luxury & Precision W4? Having a hard time deciding between the two.

Apr 2, 2024 at 7:34 AM Post #327 of 338
Interestingly there is still no data on the website about wight in grams - does anyone know how much is it exactly? I am guessing somewhere around 100-200g

Edit, from the Bloom audio review video it says 6 oz which should be 170g

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2024 at 4:53 PM Post #328 of 338
Guys can someone tell me how this would work with Fatfreq scarlet mini?
currently i have fiio k7 and wondering should i get k9 akm or this?

Apr 14, 2024 at 5:11 AM Post #329 of 338
Hmm, that's disappointing to hear. Missed opportunity - I mean, what would audiophiles need ADC recording for in this day and age? If you already have analogue audio coming in via Line In, why not route it to the headphone ports? Strange.
1711903840644.png
Did you try stacking a dongle from the usb c output of cma to a dongle? I know it mainly meant to record audio but I am wondering if it can actually power a dongle and what would be the outcome of processing the output in such a way.

Apr 14, 2024 at 5:51 AM Post #330 of 338
Did you try stacking a dongle from the usb c output of cma to a dongle? I know it mainly meant to record audio but I am wondering if it can actually power a dongle and what would be the outcome of processing the output in such a way.
I think I get your idea and such an application would be nice but I'm afraid, that's not how these things work. The CMA18p is just an audio device with output plus recording/input channels to the USB-host device (normally your PC, Mac, Phone, DAP or tablet ...) - just like any other audio interface for studio recording etc.

It is not in itself a USB-host for other devices and not capable to stream USB-audio to an external DAC or to "negotiate" any power delivery with an attached dongle or self-powered DAC.

Thus plugging a DAC/Dongle into the USB-C-port of the CMA18p while in BAL/Line-In recording mode does not provide any useful USB-audio data for an external DAC to play. The CMA18p is a kind of passive device, controlled by the USB-host which provides or retrieves the USB-audio data to/from the CMA18p.

Despite knowing all this, I tested it anyway (I am a scientist so I experiment) to check how an external DAC and the CMA18p behave in this setting and interestingly, the REC- and XMOS-USB-Processing LEDs of the CMA18p lit up but the external DAC are not recognized and not powered ... as expected.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back