Questyle CMA Fifteen — Official Thread
Aug 21, 2023 at 3:00 PM Post #257 of 374
Aug 30, 2023 at 10:10 PM Post #260 of 374
K-003.jpg
K-004-1.png
K-005.jpg

They announced the 'CMA 18 Master' a few days ago.
The main changes are the DAC has been changed to 9039Pro, the USB decoder has been changed to XMOS X316 and aptX HD has been added to the Bluetooth supported codecs.

Personally, I would hold off on purchasing this unless the headphone amplifier output is at least double what it is now and balanced inputs are added.

I would really appreciate it if Questyle would consider these changes for their next product.

Aug 30, 2023 at 10:14 PM Post #261 of 374
K-003.jpgK-004-1.pngK-005.jpg

The main changes are the DAC has been changed to 9039Pro, the USB decoder has been changed to XMOS X316 and aptX HD has been added to the Bluetooth supported codecs.

Personally, I would hold off on purchasing this unless the headphone amplifier output is at least double what it is now and balanced inputs are added.

I would really appreciate it if Questyle would consider these changes for their next product.
Im sure they added power. Why would they release a completely new version with minor modifications like a new dac chip, usb decoder and aptx? Its not like they are apple and naming it cma fifteen master S.

Aug 30, 2023 at 11:30 PM Post #262 of 374

I agree. There are so many power hungry headphones now that could benefit from more power.

Aug 31, 2023 at 4:13 AM Post #263 of 374
Just had a look at their videos on bilibili:
CMA 18 Master (desktop): https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV19p4y1K7HC/
CMA 18 Portable (battery-powered, mojo-like device): https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV1Fw411Q7FM

My Chinese isn't good enough to understand all the details, but there's also a new PCB material on the 18 Master, which seems to have stemmed from the heat generated by the 9039Pro DAC chip. It's unclear whether there's XLR inputs on the Master, as they don't show an image of the back of the unit, but on the front there's only one LED for input selection marked as 'analogue', which suggests one analogue input only, likely RCA as before. I'm not sure if there's more power, but the presenter says the difference from CMA15 to 18 Master is audible, something like a blacker background.

Both Master and Portable can also receive LDAC as well as aptX. The 18 Portable also does analogue to digital conversion, is matched to the size of an iPhone, is MFi certified and can handle Android and other mobile platforms as well. Approx 10 hour battery life. He was basically saying that since everyone uses a phone these days, this kind of device is obvious next step instead of having a DAP.

*edit: Also the 18 Portable seems to have 4 of the SiP chips that they developed for the NHB12.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2023 at 4:17 AM Post #264 of 374
Just had a look at their videos on bilibili:
CMA 18 Master (desktop): https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV19p4y1K7HC/
CMA 18 Portable (battery-powered, mojo-like device): https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV1Fw411Q7FM

My Chinese isn't good enough to understand all the details, but there's also a new PCB material on the 18 Master, which seems to have stemmed from the heat generated by the 9039Pro DAC chip. It's unclear whether there's XLR inputs on the Master, as they don't show an image of the back of the unit, but on the front there's only one LED for input selection marked as 'analogue', which suggests one analogue input only, likely RCA as before. I'm not sure if there's more power, but the presenter says the difference from CMA15 to 18 Master is audible, something like a blacker background.

Both Master and Portable can also receive LDAC as well as aptX. The 18 Portable also does analogue to digital conversion, is matched to the size of an iPhone, is MFi certified and can handle Android and other mobile platforms as well. Approx 10 hour battery life. He was basically saying that since everyone uses a phone these days, this kind of device is obvious next step instead of having a DAP.

*edit: Also the 18 Portable seems to have 4 of the SiP chips that they developed for the NHB12.
so i guess we wait for cma master 21

Aug 31, 2023 at 5:50 AM Post #265 of 374

Are those positive changes? I am not familiar with the ESS line up.

Sep 1, 2023 at 4:21 AM Post #266 of 374

I thought the rumours were of using AKM DAC chips? I presume the ESS DAC is a current mode one?

I'm interested in the analogue inputs, particularly balanced.

Sep 1, 2023 at 1:12 PM Post #269 of 374
I thought the rumours were of using AKM DAC chips? I presume the ESS DAC is a current mode one?

I'm interested in the analogue inputs, particularly balanced.

I think they will stick to ESS Flagship as a current output DAC, match well with their current input amplification.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back