Questions about the AD700
Sep 18, 2010 at 12:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

kulawend

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, I just got the AD700 today and I really am enjoying them but I keep on thinking of ways to make them better since I enjoy modding things.

Question 1:
What's the difference between the AD500 and the AD700? If it's just the drivers then could I buy a pair of AD500 and swap the drivers with the AD700 so I can have the sweet looking black/silver?

Question 2:
I noticed that there's a silly rubber covering over the top bars and I don't see the purpose, would it be okay to remove the rubber and just have the metal showing?

Question 3:
My last headphones had a female jack so you could replace the cord, is that something I could easily implement into this headphone?

Question 4:
I've also seen some detachable mic mods, how hard are these to do?

All I'm really looking for is some solid information. I want to mod my headphones but I've never done it before.

Sep 18, 2010 at 12:22 AM Post #2 of 12
1.  The difference is the drivers.  Many people have just sprayed painted their grills to make them look like the AD500.  The dark knight mod if you do a search is the best one I've seen.

2.  The rubber covers the metal and the wires that go to the other side.  I would leave them how they are.

3.  I am trying to figure out how to add a female jack into the headphones, I want to do a dual entry.  If I ever figure it out, just stay tuned and I will probably write how-to instructions for it.

4.  The mic mods, I am not sure of which female jack to plug in.  I thought about using my Zalman mic, wrapping that in with my new re-cable and then just putting techflex over it so it looks like it is integrated into the line.

This is the post you want to look at.  He has pictures of everything your looking to do.  Doesn't explain what jacks and stuff very well, like most people here you will soon find out, but at least you can see how he painted his.
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/484176/dark-knight-ad700-gaming-mod-lots-of-pics

Sep 18, 2010 at 12:41 AM Post #3 of 12

Quote:
jschristian44 said:

1.  The difference is the drivers.  Many people have just sprayed painted their grills to make them look like the AD500.  The dark knight mod if you do a search is the best one I've seen.

2.  The rubber covers the metal and the wires that go to the other side.  I would leave them how they are.

3.  I am trying to figure out how to add a female jack into the headphones, I want to do a dual entry.  If I ever figure it out, just stay tuned and I will probably write how-to instructions for it.

4.  The mic mods, I am not sure of which female jack to plug in.  I thought about using my Zalman mic, wrapping that in with my new re-cable and then just putting techflex over it so it looks like it is integrated into the line.

This is the post you want to look at.  He has pictures of everything your looking to do.  Doesn't explain what jacks and stuff very well, like most people here you will soon find out, but at least you can see how he painted his.
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/484176/dark-knight-ad700-gaming-mod-lots-of-pics

1. I'd rather not spray paint anything if there's another option. I've read that oven cleaner can take the purple off the grills, that would be preferable as I wouldn't have to paint anything. If anyone knows what brand to use or other specific instructions that would be great.

2. I originally thought that the wires were somehow in the middle of the metal tubing, I see now that one is not.

3. Dual entry? Please clarify, does this mean there are two female jacks on the cans or simply that the headphone cord plugs into two jacks?

4. I have a Zalman mic, might it be possible to hide the little mic inside of the headphone grill so that it's hidden? How might you integrate this with the female jack so that your cord can carry the headphone and microphone?

I've actually seen that mod before, but as I said, I would rather not spray paint my headphones.

Sep 18, 2010 at 12:51 AM Post #4 of 12
yeah i dont want to spray it either thats why im just leaving it stock.  i have the head fi purple wallpaper on my background and it matches great, so im not bothered anymore.  as for the dual entry, yes, a female jack in each cup i was planning to do.  as for the zalman mic, i don't recommend putting it inside the headphone, that will mess up the sound and it's just not what people do.  i plan on wiring it in with my wire, clipping it on, then using a nylon sleeve to cover both wires, and end up having 2 jacks at the end, one for headphone, one for mic.  if you stay tuned i will do my best to describe and post pics on what i plan to do.  in the meantime, you have to checkout this video.  it is so unreal.  the best part is at the end, i won't give it away.  just watch the full video, keep your eyes closed the whole time because it actually puts you in a different place.  just type in this link and close your eyes.  don't worry it's not one of those videos that pop up and scare the crap out of you, i hate those videos and i almost died once a friend posted that.  this is legit and its so unreal.  dont open your eyes at anytime though because it ruins the effect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IXm6SuUigI&fmt=18

Sep 18, 2010 at 1:06 AM Post #5 of 12

Quote:
yeah i dont want to spray it either thats why im just leaving it stock.  i have the head fi purple wallpaper on my background and it matches great, so im not bothered anymore.  as for the dual entry, yes, a female jack in each cup i was planning to do.  as for the zalman mic, i don't recommend putting it inside the headphone, that will mess up the sound and it's just not what people do.  i plan on wiring it in with my wire, clipping it on, then using a nylon sleeve to cover both wires, and end up having 2 jacks at the end, one for headphone, one for mic.  if you stay tuned i will do my best to describe and post pics on what i plan to do.  in the meantime, you have to checkout this video.  it is so unreal.  the best part is at the end, i won't give it away.  just watch the full video, keep your eyes closed the whole time because it actually puts you in a different place.  just type in this link and close your eyes.  don't worry it's not one of those videos that pop up and scare the crap out of you, i hate those videos and i almost died once a friend posted that.  this is legit and its so unreal.  dont open your eyes at anytime though because it ruins the effect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IXm6SuUigI&fmt=18

I've heard of people talking about the "Virtual Barber Shop" before but I wasn't sure what it was until now. It's pretty cool.

Sep 18, 2010 at 1:45 AM Post #7 of 12

Quote:
did you like teh ending when he whispers in your ear.  i swear i feel a warmth with his voice too.  its suprisingly incredibly fantastically real.  i have to check to see there's no one there everytime.

It works better with IEMs, just so folks know. The bag is the absolute worst part for me... I feel horrid. It's a fun experience, though.

Sep 18, 2010 at 6:33 PM Post #12 of 12
yeah but if they break, the seller usually has YOU pay for return shipping.  and with ebay you never know how legit the item is.  Amazon is a retailer.  eBay ones could be used, stolen, etc.  id gladly pay the 9 more dollars i did for the amazon one.  especially with service like this.  if you sent them for a replacement at eBay you'd be waiting another week for a different pair.  i am waiting a day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back